Pad vs wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pluginz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

So,
    With this tire model we have now, over the course of say, a 15 lap race at Toban with the Nissan 370, who would win? The pad user or the wheel user?
    These are the things I would like to compare. :)

2. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Its all about sales, but no real car Sim should be drivable with another than a wheel, as that is a simulation.

I just hope that online Sims can be set to exclude anything other than wheels?
    I won't race against anyone that is not playing as a simulation.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Spot on for me Simon!

4. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

What a "real" sim should do is limit the speed front wheels turn when you're not using a wheel.

5. PMC

PMC Registered

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I personally could care less what others are using for their driving as long as they are doing it well. A good race is a good race. I just don't want to have to contend with those that are using pads or keyboard that don't know how to drive and pass with courtesy, that is my only requirement and you get a lot of wheel drivers who don't know how to do that either.

1 person likes this.
  7. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I want a version of rF2 made that does not have aids "FULL STOP"

Call it PRO call this one anything you like...............

I said it for years all I got was laughed at ..and the "why would we do that"
    If you can't work out the advantages (Simon can obviously ) ....well I not explaining it again.

All views
    Press ESC to Pit
    Teamspk in 1960 s cars

None of that is 'simulation" either ..........far from it. !

But I see everyone doing them all !

How is a keyboard or game pad any less simulation then those ? lopl :)

9. PMC

PMC Registered

True ..But should we all have to have expensive full motion rigs to buy this PRO version.

Plus i dont think you could police it.

10. PMC

PMC Registered

Oh and i would suspect they would have to be graded to be able to buy it to stop bad drivers too

11. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Look at this guy.. he is a pad driver and he is f*!C.)ng fast

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree I see the point.

Yes example iRacing has been hacked I see.

But I only worry about the people I know and lap with and I know none of them are cheats.

What anyone else does is not my concern.

I would rather have aids and chase cams and other unrealistic things non existent in the sim then ban keyboard users, that is discrimination lol :)

But having a sim version has no aids is not as they can go and buy the rookie one that does.
    :)

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Now here is an option that would probably be a pain to implement but might be something that would settle this little issue. Software that looks at your driving and allows or disallows aids depending on how well you do. if you are able to beat the AI with all aids on, then the software starts locking out aids until you are able to beat them with no aids. At that point, online racing becomes an option that is unlocked and you have no ability to turn aids back on.

I know it will never happen as that would be a lot of code just to get people off aids, but hey, I say we fight aids all the way, AIDS kills ;)

14. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Whats wrong with the good old forced server settings....

15. Knight of Redemption

As long as people race fair and clean that is all that matters. To keep playing the sim card is ridiculous. rF2 does not simulate motor racing, it contains some of the elements but it does not and can not simulate the real thing. No G force, false information fed to wheels to make up for it...So from top to bottom it is a compromise. In some ways a very good compromise and in others not so good (WIP) You can disable those aids you don't want on the server, you can choose to run with or without aids.

The day you need to go down the gym to get the fitness levels up to drive? that is when you can say the experience is simulated. Until then you are playing a game, a good game, a game that does it's best to create some of the sensations of driving a racing car. It does some of them very well, the FFB is best in show, but does it feel like a real wheel? No, no matter how much you spend the collection of belts or gears approximates the sensation.

My gear is at the middle/high end, full race rig, triple screens, fanatec wheel and I am regularly beaten on track by a non assist, single screen, pad using friend...He races fair, he has great racecraft and is more skilful than me. What he doesn't have is the finances to buy what I have. He has Kids, I don't. He has as much right by virtue of the time and effort he has put in to race with anyone, and do it well.

That is my opinion, I don't expect it will change the mind of anyone and that is fine...just filling time till the next update ;)

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You miss my point anyways mate if that is direccted at me.
    true you can disable what you like, that is not my point.

I try to explain my twisted thought.....

I used to run F1-2002 online, I liked Bathurst and Lemans Audi I had a knack of nailing that terrible 2nd sector in "Blue Wrens" version.

When I moved to GTR#1 a quick rip was done as that Bathurst no one takes ownership of.
    I found I was even faster there and actually my PB never ever got beat in a 575.
    I used to help to train people all day then.

Now people in GTR used to tell me I had to turn off damage because you only had to look at the wall and your wing fell off.

All true and fair.

My reason for 100% damage was not to make it harder for people because I very rarely hit the walls , NO :)

To me it is about full damage made me feel and think like I would lose my wing.
    If I had no damage it would make those feelings less heightened as I know subconsciously if I do rub the wall on a purple sector it wont matter .......I will just keep going.....

So I contend to not have any settings to change whatsoever you reinforce that feeling of vulnerability.

For that reason imho a true no aids sim would be more exciting to drive ...." because i know I can't ever turn it off....."

I hope you understand what I try to convey.
    It is nothing about being better , honest.

edit: I suppose a analogy would be sky diving with no emergency chute.

You know you are safe anyway but it would heighten the senses when you starting to think of pulling the ripcord.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  17. Knight of Redemption

I get your point, but...you would exclude people that cannot afford decent wheels, and that is for me unexceptionable. Also some would just give up before they ever found out that no assist racing is, once your used to it, more immersive and rewarding. I turned off aids for the same experience, not anywhere near your skill level and probably never will be ...but hey someone has to be a back marker ;)

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

But they could buy the NORMAL version of the sim.

Then they would have no different a experience then they always had.

If they want to race no aids they can still do that the normal versions would have the normal aids .......not just with the PRO version or on the PRO sever.

You could also buy both versions if you wish.

It could help with wreckers in the Pro room because why would people pay to get wrecked if they not good enough drivers ? makes no sense to me.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

I hear what your saying here D and personally think it`s quite a good idea...

I`d be straight in for the Pro version... not because I think I`m a "Pro" in any way but that`s the way I like to drive.

I always have all aids off as it adds greatly to the immersion for me to have it like that... we all know there is no real "fear" in sims but driving with all aids off puts a little bit of that missing fear into it for me as you know if you glance a wall, hit a tyre stack, run wide and bounce over a curb or hit one too hard your going to pay for that (well you will when proper realistic damage in done) and I`d have it no other way.

First time I jumped into Gpl (my first real sim) all aids were off and it`s been like that always. :)

20. Knight of Redemption

iRacing...nuff said. What you are doing there is creating a perceived elite and of course people would pay just to be a part of that club. By keeping things combined it keeps a level playing field with hosts able to tailor their servers how they like. I do see your point of view, but to my mind what you want is already possible.