F3 vs Skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by otirc, Dec 8, 2012.

1. JGraf

JGraf Registered

pedal sensitivity should be at 100% setting (default), center of the slider range... to provide normal speed of actuation from off to full pedal.

2. Miro

Miro Registered

Well for me it's just another setup setting.

I have it mostly at 100% but for Malaysia for example I lower the sensitivity a bit to suit me because of some turns.

It's nothing unusual, you've got the comparable throttle mapping in F1 also.

http://www.optimumg.com/technical/throttle-maps-and-tire-wear/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

It's amazing how many tradeoffs there are in sim racing. Disallow tweaks and less will stick with the car at all. Allow tweaks and less will ever learn how to overcome the challenge. I don't know, but my intuition tells me that very few will revert to a harder setup once they are comfortable with another setup and especially in a competitive environment.

Ideally, people would aspire to join the big boy servers running regionals with full tanks and default setups. Unfortunately, I think people are more interested in winning than in improving. The fact that everyone isn't drooling over historic f1s is a perfect example. And even most who do drive them tweak the hell out of them. I would hope, though, that the school aspect and so-called dedication to realism would motivate people to accept the challenge, but hey we're all hippocrites at some point.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No, you don't, because people don't usually drive it that way. They want more than 4-5 laps out of their tires. YOU are making it slide, when it slides.

Look at Massa in his early career, compared to some of his teammates. A car can be driven many ways, and do many things, it's often nothing to do with the car...

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I never agree with you, but this time... still.
    Lol, Agree with every thing. All cheaters.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Exactly

7. Eero Forsblom

Eero Forsblom Registered

Someone mentioned that the fastest laps are achieved by sliding all over the place? I have to disagree as I feel that it indeed is lively and twitchy, but sliding totally kills your laptimes. I can manage low 59's, but even a tiny mistake can add a lot because I lose all momentum.

edit: talking about the regional version

8. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I agree - as far as I have observed sliding is definitely NOT the fastest way to run. Regional or national version doesn't matter they both behave the same.

9. 88mphTim

I feel this thread and the driving style thread are the same thing. ;)

10. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Define what you mean by "should be at 100%"? Why do you say that? What do you think you're gaining/losing by setting to something other then 100%?

Do you truly understand what that slider does? 100% sensitivity means that most of your throttle is managed within a very short movement of the pedal. That makes managing throttle properly very hard. Would you rather hitting 75% throttle within a centimeter of pedal movement or would you like a 1-2 inch range of movement to be more precise with how much input you give.

In other words, it's easier to hit a 2 inch dot then a 1 centimeter dot.

11. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

That link has nothing to do with mapping our physical pedal movement with what gets applied in-game.

Can you honestly say that in a REAL WORLD car, that 5-10% of pedal input equals 80-90% of your total throttle input??? NOT!

IMO, how they map the pedal is way off. Even at 0% sensitivity the throttle input at 1cm should be half what it is. While in real cars they have a lot more pedal movement then us, it's still no where comparable to what it should be.

Tim W, care to comment? I see you've been doing some reading here.

FYI...forget physics or issues on grass, only focus on pedal input for a second, how is it that racing sims have missed this issue for 10+ years. Every single sim I've owned on every pedal/wheel set I've owned, I've had to drop the throttle axis sensitivity to 0% to give any competant movement in the pedal range to allow proper throttle management. If you're only ever full on or off the gas, it'd be one thing, but when trying to manage tire spin, it's a MAJOR issue. If at 0% throttle you get wheel spin at 5-10% input, again, MAJOR PROBLEM. Tim, can you honestly tell me that that is the case in a real car?

12. 88mphTim

Well in a real car the brake pedal is rock solid, and you don't even really feel it move much at all when you brake, so why you say they have more movement in the real thing, I have no idea really... Same with the throttle... From what I've seen, they have WAY less pedal travel than sim pedals do. I think the pedal movements amounts match up very well by default...

I think the pedals I use right now (from the T500) move WAY more than any race car I've fiddled with, even when it was stationary and I didn't drive it in anger of any sort (which would include a NASCAR car, a race Vette, a race Viper, a Lotus 79 and an Eagle Mk4 so far).

13. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

And off course you licenced them all :) Lol, as if we will get a clear answer :p

14. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

THANK YOU for responding!

I also have T500 RS. From a brake perspective I installed the JBodin load cell and only have about a half inch of travel now. For braking, feels good.

So for throttle you're telling me, that in a race car, you manage less pedal movement then the 2-3 inches I get on my T500 RS throttle pedal? SERIOUSLY??? That's beyond believable to me. Not saying it isn't true, just extremely hard to comprehend. I've sat in race cars and felt a lot more pedal travel then I'm experiencing in this game or that you've said you have experienced. How the hell do guys begin to manage tire spin in the real world, and the increased HP and TRQ that these cars have?

So tell me what I'm missing. Where's the disconnect from real to sim? I can't imagine trying to manage 600+ HP on any car with only an inch of pedal movement.

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

I would assume it's just getting the muscle memory developed to handle a shorter pedal travel. I've seen some riders trackbikes have about a 1/4 turn throttle or even less, and I have no idea how they handle it.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Love the first vid Minibull. Those aussies sure know how to cover motorsports.

17. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Thanks!

Those vids PROVE my point. Look how much travel the V8 car's throttle pedal has, and if you watch, he presses nearly 70% of the pedal before you hear it ramp to full the last 30% of travel. That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to imitate and this is the proof.

Tim! TAKE NOTE! Most (not all?) race cars do not have a 1 inch or less travel on throttle. I shouldn't have to set my throttle axis sensitivity to 0% to even get close to what they're doing in those vids.

As an addition to this, PLEASE get your developers involved. I can't tell you how many countless hours we spend with our league drivers convincing them to lower the throttle axis to 0% so that they can see the true benefits.

PLEASE have them get this corrected!

Thanks!

18. JGraf

JGraf Registered

you said 50% is default.
    your comment is incorrect, the game installs with default settings, which is 100%.

19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't understand the problem:
    -you have the option to change it to your liking
    -it's not hard to do, takes 1 second to change the slider from 100 to 0% (you don't have to fiddle with any ini files to change it)
    -it is YOUR PERSONAL controller setting (why do you need to convince every league driver to change it, you make a suggestion, it is up to them if they want to listen to your advice)
    -i don't even know what the setting is set at, I'm using defaults because i don't care about that, I have always raced with that settings and it feels good and comfortable. This is my personal feeling about it.

20. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

He might just be mistaken as rFactor default was 50% I think. rF2 is 100%.

100%= Linear. Which is where you want to set it.