G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

And on the box. That is all I'm saying. Take the above verbatim and put it in the system requirements. Deal?

2. Hoopstar

Hoopstar Registered

Wow.. the way some of you guy carry on, you would think you paid $50,000 for the game, not $50..!!

So the G25/G27 rattles.. mine does too..

Simple solution: buy a new wheel, don't play rF2 or stop complaining.. seriously. 12 pages of this backwards and forwards is ridiculous.. over a $50 game.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

No it's not about liking what is said. It's that nothing WAS said about expected g27 performance when I gave my money and wasted months working on a product that I am not going to use. And it's how cryptic you are about whether the wheel is compatible or not. The fact is it's not and however you decide to try to spin this put your money where your mouth is and explain honestly on the box and in the system requirements.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

And it's funny because you get strung along because "you can't judge the product b/c it's in beta" etc. etc. but it's NOT in beta and there is no list of what will change so you don't know what is a bug or not, etc, etc. I have 15 years of software development experience and can tell you this game will be obsolete before it goes gold and will also require new wheel tech LOL

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Not all belts are better than gears in other sims. G27 is smooth in other sims and more precise than some belts.

6. TechAde

TechAde Registered

It's already there in the Controller.ini:

Off-road multiplier="0.15000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)

7. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Yes, and in the curbs or in bumpy tracks you can edit the line

Steering torque filter="0" // Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)

changing its value.

My advice is: edit the torque filter line at the point the rattling is gone or accettable, then drive with such setting for atleast 5 hours, then try to set it again to "0" ... so doing you have the time to get confortable with high values in the torque filter and you can compare the wheel behaviour with less or more latency.

Keep in mind the default value in the above line makes the most possible direct FFB, but adding latency you have it as in other racing sims.

In other words, nothing wrong working on the torque filter and on the offroad filter. :)

8. stonec

stonec Registered

The off-road multiplier parameter does little to nothing, especially over kerbs I can't feel it having much effect. As the devs have stated here, there is no easy way to filter the FFB only for off-road effects, so I don't know why that parameter was added in first place. Indeed, changing the torque filter will fix the rattling, but the value must be rather large for G27 (around 10) which introduces significant latency. I would still expect something better for the final product.

The majority of sim racers at the moment are Logitech users. They shouldn't need to edit a text file hidden somewhere to get the game playable. I race in a big league (www.formula-simracing.net) and currently our star drivers Bono Huis and Morgan Morand use, guess what wheel: G27. If it was such a bad wheel and outdated technology, I'm sure they would have switched long ago to a better one.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Or, maybe I said it in this thread, yesterday.

No, I didn't only give the option of turning off FFB, I gave that option along with others.

It takes two to properly communicate. I have given more information in the last day in this thread than you seem to be aware of.

It can. It is just noisier when it does it than a belt driven wheel would be.

No I'm not cryptic at all if you read what I'm saying. Yes it is, 100% compatible. It's just more noisy due to the gear method.

kerbs are not off road, they are a physical model which you are running over. Most testers seem to use between 0 and 2, from what I have seen.

You are correct, they shouldn't have to edit a text file to get rid of the rattling, I am hoping to see something introduced into the auto detect feature and controller UI to add the filtering.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah and Dale Earnhardt uses a g27 too for iRacing. So, rather than have a systems requirement clarification there should be a USER requirement clarification. I'll get it started...

1. Have a belt-driven wheel or if have g27, live in the USA with a big house so family and neighbors don't hear rattling or have no job so can do during the day
    2. Be a real life race car driver so you can know what cars really feel like anyway and don't care about feel or immersion
    3. Be an engineer that spends more time fix computer and rFactor than fixing own car
    4. Have no life with infinite time to spend in forums trying to figure out game
    5. Have no knowledge of AC

Number of people fitting these requirements? 5 and you can meet them here in the forum. They are the ones always sucking up so Tim will put their name on a car. LOL

11. 88mphTim

There are!? lol I had no idea, and I don't put the names on the cars, they need to suck up to someone else I think. ;)

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Are you kidding me!? What a cheapskate!

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Tim it's the fact you called our wheels inferior the other day, why could you not state that from the very beginning of beta? Had people known that they wouldn't of paid for the game and or paid two hundred quid for a new gpu like I did...I would've saved that for a newer wheel! Not all of us are blessed with tons of cash to pay for new stuff.

Again why are these wheels not in the minimum specs? Again you've ignored that point, surely if they are inferior they should be in the minimum specs!?!

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

No sorry, but a wheel is not required at all to play this game. So why would be it listed in minimum specs??

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think also, that if rf2 is designed only for belt-based wheels - it should be stated in requirements. Of course no one company will do that because it will affect sales. However it is not fair to build sim which can't handle correctly most popular hardware in simracing world and say nothing about it.
    I can live with it for a while as with missing feature. But I do get a suggestion to 'turn FFB off' not in place.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Bhudda Just saying if ISI deem an item inferior then we should've known SOMEWHERE! do you not agree? If your wheel was deemed inferior months after having the game how would you feel?

17. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I actually don't have much of a rattling problem with my G25. I did set up some very mild damping way back (Build 60? 85 maybe?) which might still be in the INI if it was not over-written by an update) but it's on a very low setting, much less damping than was suggested IIRC.

My interest in the Fanatec is mostly for xBox compatability and the belt drive. I'd love a CSW, but I can't afford it, or the CSR-E.

That being said, I am reasonably content with the Logitech pedals for now. Does the pedal adaptor allow the pedals to be used on the 360 as well, or only on the PC?

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

It was not designed for belt-based wheels only. The Logitech wheels are 100% compatible.

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I figured that out myself and bought a Fanatec. I had a G27 for the first 3 or 4 months. I sold it a and used the money to buy a new wheel.

20. 88mphTim

They are inferior only because they cannot feed you raw data from the track surface without rattling. They are, FULLY CAPABLE, with rattling. Their inferiority, is from that sole issue, as I have maintained in every post. Any simulation which feeds the G25 and G27 raw data, unfiltered, will have the same issue. That is why they all filter them, and why you may want to try it with rFactor2 if the raw data, and rattling, is an issue.

Nobody is asking you to buy a new wheel, if you cannot afford one. I hope that you maintain a level of control, to not let anything else affect your spending. It should be possible for you to use one of the options I gave. If you feel it isn't, then unfortunately there is no other option I can give you at this time.

The internal testers normally use a filter of between 0 and 2, from what I have seen, and they say that this largely controls the noise, and doesn't change the FFB as much as higher numbers. I think we do need to have the filtering in the UI, and that will probably happen.

They are not on the minimum specifications, because they are fully functional. They are just noisy when they do it. Asking the same question when you have been answered, does not change the answer for this issue at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.