G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Because it's not below minimum specs. Nothing about this issue qualifies it as such. One type of Intel i5 is inferior to the other, but both run rFactor2 fine.

It simply isn't possible for the G25 and G27 to give the FFB that non-gear wheels have, without rattling. They are going to get a lesser, filtered, FFB if they can't take the rattling. Those who think it's possible to simply remove the rattling parts of the surface or forces, are mistaken.

2. 88mphTim

What is untrue? I never said it didn't do what you're saying. On a G25 and G27, gear wheels, those cogs are going to rattle on each other with this FFB. If you don't want the rattling, you can't this FFB. You have to filter it, all of it. Those who are saying to just filter that specific type, aren't looking in an area which can be done, or will be done.

3. 88mphTim

Can anybody tell me where the line should be cut with old versus new technology? Are people being absolutely serious that they want a lesser product just so it'll work on their hardware?

Where did all people go who were explaining that rFactor2 was not rFactor1 when the system requirements came out, and people complained they would have to upgrade?

rFactor2 is an advancing technology, aiming to be cutting edge, and IMHO is very attainable on lower end systems (which probably already holds it back some). The Logitech G25 was released around the same time as rFactor1, and the G27 uses pretty much the same technology.

There are things you can do, as I said. Whichever one you need to do, there's not much more can be said. You can filter the FFB, you can turn down the FFB, you can disable it, you can get another wheel, you can things like inserting rubber in the clamps to stop desk/cockpit transference, or you can do whatever else you think you need to do. For me, filtering the FFB for those wheels, is no different than someone having to turn off shadows on an older video card.

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Good point Tim. People have no problem spending $500 on a new video card to play their favorite games, or a new CPU, etc...

But they draw the line when it comes to older wheels??

That's a little hypocritical.

I bought a new wheel for rF2 because I wanted to feel the full FFB. IMO, it's just as important as upgrading your video card or CPU.

5. 88mphTim

I understand that. There isn't really much to setup, and as far as fixing? At the moment, the only option is to filter. You'll never use the same FFB as the belt driven wheels, with their strength, without the noise from the gears inside the wheel.

6. henri200

henri200 Registered

I think it would be wise to include two controller profiles for G25/27 - Default one would be the 'right' one and the second optional one would be rattle-free controller file for people who can't stand it or can't use it for various reasons (noise mainly I guess). Of course it should go with warning of some sort which would say that this isn't the way rFactor 2 is meant to be played.

I'm quite sure not all people have the knowledge to tune the wheel settings to their liking (i.e in that case to remove the rattle)

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Tim, is it possible to provide dynamic "filter sample" values for random materials?

I'm afraid for my wheel when I drive through the kerb. ;)

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

This:
    A temporary solution might be to allow for second, much more aggresive filter setup, just for non-road surfaces. Can be defined within controller.ini, for which materials that additional filter should be applied. That way, people will have good dynamic and responsive FFB on road and filtered, smooth while driving off-track.

9. 88mphTim

I'll ask on that, thanks for trying to find a way (you notice I am never trying to say to stop asking). :)

Although note that even if they did decide to implement something, no idea on where it would go in the list of to dos.

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I think, because about 80-90% or even more people of rFactor community use wheels with tooth gears, that should be pretty high on the list :)

11. stonec

stonec Registered

This sounds great. Since there already is an off-road parameter of some sort in the controller.ini FFB section, it should be possible to implement a filter which only affects off-road + curb effects, at least I would think so. Such a parameter would take nothing away from the "intended" FFB, since how the FFB behaves off-road is not something that drivers care about really (as long as it doesn't rattle I'm fine with anything:)).

12. osella

osella Registered

If THAT is the case, I'm done with rf2 and regret buying.

However as Lesiu says..

I still hope for some change :eek:

13. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

From what I understand, all other games have this damping built into their FFB code by default. So, basically, ISI decided not to damp the forces by default for those who have wheels that don't need it. By damping the force through the ini file, you aren't doing anything different than what has been done in all other games already.

I don't get why this upsets people?

14. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I guess I see the issues you guys are having, as I drive on the road 99% of the time, so if all the issues are with driving off road sorry but I haven't spent enough time there to take much notice. Maybe stop cutting corners or slow down a little its faster on the black stuff :D

Road and kerbs are fine for me and I race with headphones on so I wouldn't even know if its making a rattle sound, I assumed it was general rattle and vibrations in the feedback feeling of the wheel and not just a rattle type sound off the road. My wheel is on a very solid desk too clamped tight so it doesn't have any effect on the desk.

15. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Tim, the point is that there are many G25/27 wheels out there; I would go so far as to say 95%.
    You have to cater for the mass then the minority, not the other way round; not to do so is commercial suicide.
    rFactor is geeky enough as it is so what is wrong with a tab/option/tickbox that says basic wheel (G25/27) tailored to the majority of wheels and an option for expert wheel/Full FFB that is tailored for this new better wheel?

Tim, what is/are the better wheels that rFactor2 is designed for?

Do your in house testers actually have G25/27 wheels?

(not thought of the Rubber isolation idea :) )

16. osella

osella Registered

Maybe I'm too oversensitive to that shaking, but I have to say for me its NOT problem just offroad, that would be tolerable because I try to keep myself on the road 100% of the time, no matter what sim.

The thing is the wheel shakes way too much on all curbs and bumps as well. Monaco is fine for example, but Spa is annoying even if I don't leave the road at all.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You said those wheels are inferior, that's a big claim to make considering they are very common. You said we had to turn down or turn off FFB...that's just poor customer relations and a complete disregard to a big percentage of potential RF2 drivers....again wait and see what happens when gold....

Tell me the research ISI did into whatwheels people use these days, tell me the Logitech series were low down that list. Sure you want to cater for the future but your whole attitude of late has been very negative towards those of us with these "inferior" wheels.

Again why don't you just put them on the minimum specs list and recommend belt driven wheels?

It's like you're making people upgrade their wheel without first declaring what type of wheel they should own....get that right before gold or again you will have a lot of unhappy campers.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You tell a casual SIM racer he needs a new gpu and wheel, fact is being a SIM racer is more expensive than other casual gamers.

Plus Tim to your reference to it being no different to turning graphics down......my God don't you realise FEEL in a SIM means so much more than graphics? These days if you can't utilise ffb you're missing out massively...and again you're alienating a large portion of potential RF2 drivers.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I think the important thing is to communicate honestly that rf2 is moving past g27 and that people need to stay on rf1 if staying on g27 or move to other sims coming out. It is frustrating to pay for a product that does not support your hardware. It is disingenuous to try to play both sides of the fence. To answer your question you have already decided to cut off g27 so be honest about it and this issue can go away but don't take people's money and say that it is supported when it's not. I am furious that I and others have been testing a product that shuns our hardware. Period. Please be honest and make belt-driven wheel a clear hardware requirement or at least be honest that full product quality is only achievable with belt driven hardware. Totally pisses me off bad and you guys really need to change your attitude about this. Sad.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

The following Controller.ini setting seems to have been introduced in build 107:

Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates

I will test this more tomorrow and report back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.