G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This is an opinion I have formed recently, from more experience with our software, and from feedback from people like you. It would have been difficult for me to say this, before I did.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Just because those wheels are turning and vibrating, doesn't mean it is 100% compatible.

3. 88mphTim

Yes it does, actually.

We've found no damage to the wheels, and they perform every function. By definition, and in practice, they are compatible.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yet?

Could I try my road car in regular race on race track even if it is not designed for? Maybe it will get no damage. You know, it performs every function: it accelerates, decelerates and even it turns.
    But maybe dumpers or clutch will die faster than designed. ;)

Of course I'm playing words. I believe ISI will implement some kind of serious filtering. Maybe power steering simulation will help also. Point is to not say it is the case of logitech hardware. it is a case of program which not support most popular hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok I see, again I don't have a problem with the rattling but I still don't get why this couldn't of been communicated earlier in beta, I seriously hope you get better for gold as I want this game to succeed as much as anyone but sometimes you do have a weird way of talking to your customers.

I'm gonna go back to playing RF2 now!

6. 88mphTim

You do know that they build safety into the wheels so they cannot perform something they shouldn't, right?

To answer your question, yes. The car would still drive the track absolutely fine. And any damage done to that clutch, would you due to your driving, no? I am not understanding what point you are trying to make.

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It's good idea. Plus what was mentioned few pages ago, dynamic filtering depends on material (or something similar) :)

8. 88mphTim

That is the unfortunate part of you communicating with a human being. :) I felt like I was answering the same question from you. But note: I don't hold a grudge on stuff like this, mainly because I completely understand your POV. My posts are me trying to help you understand mine, that's all.

9. osella

osella Registered

That's a good example maxym gave IMO, when you take your roadcar and drive it to limit on a racetrack, it will work but tyres, engine, brakes etc. will wear out much faster.

I believe that's exactly what happens with G25/7s, they don't get damaged after 5minutes of rf2 rattling but their lifetime could be reduced by few months, just like a roadcar that is stressed too heavily.

10. Axly

Axly Registered

Since the beginning of this thread I've been thinking I got lucky as I got a better G27 than many others, but now I checked some videos where people are "deeply shocked" over the rattling... and I realize that's exactly what my wheel does, only, I like it. The thing is that if I go over curbs a bit too violent in a racecar, the wheel will rattle, a lot, just as the G27 does. Sure, the gravel may be a bit rough, but hey, it has been reported and the dev.team knows about it.

Now, I can understand the reactions like "I'll never play this again" or "this is wrong, I want a refund" IF there were any actual examples of wear on the mechanism or wheels breaking down due to a game glitch, but the empirical level seems to be guessing at best, and borderline trolling in some cases (b.t.w. I like being proved wrong).
    I remember driving GPL with the old LWGPFF..F..G? whatever, the black/red Logi FF wheel. That was rattling so hard, making so much noise that people at home thought the wheel was trying to escape the room by force. It was also made of the space age material "plastic" instead of metal, and that wheel took the abuse for several years in my hands, and is still going strong today, 10 years later!

I prefer "noisy and fantastic" over "smooth and silent" any day.

Also, I notice an increasing whine/troll-quota here in the forum.. Being polite and reasonable isn't really all that hard right?
    (also, I'm no native English speaker, so please forgive grammatical errors or bad spelling)

1 person likes this.
  11. 88mphTim

Well then perhaps, if that is your worry, adding filtering ontop of the built-in safeguards would help...

That gives your road car complete protection, no?

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I don;t know one which helps with gearing wear (I suppose rattling increase the wear)

Road car is not supposed to compete in races. Mostly you may even lost warranty while using parts not designed for race and even lost car insurance
    It means, that you should not use road car in races because it provides not all functionality/properties as race car does.

It may be translated to our case. Work conditions provided by rF2 are not supported by Logitech wheels well - I suspect we have such situation here until Logitech representative say something opposite.

So, belt-based steering wheels are like race cars on race tracks. But G25 is road car on race track - we are using it probably risking some potential damage because (I think) it must work in environment (signal amplitude, frequency etc) not designed by producer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

And worse, some of us bought a g27 FOR rf2!

14. 88mphTim

Sorry but your example doesn't really work. If your road car was protected from damage in the same way a G25 and G27 could be (with inbuilt safeguards and filtering), it shouldn't be damaged. The filtering, would protect your clutch, etc. Giving examples where it would be damaged, doesn't fit your point because the comparison doesn't exist anymore.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What it is with defending ISI so much? Can't Tim speak for himself?

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Dude do you work for ISI?

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Only if you are 100% sure, that rattling we result in rF2 is something normal by design for G25/G27 and those wheels are designed to work in such circumstances.

If you can give us such guarantee, then you are right, and it is only case of a noise.

18. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

What is it with bashing ISI so much? Can't you just realize that you can filter your FFB to prevent the rattling, the exact same way that every other sim on the market does by default?

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Hopefully won't void Logitech warranty...

20. 88mphTim

It's moving within the parameters they have set. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.