Managing Content for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Dec 13, 2011.

1. brook

brook Registered

mod inheritance like object-oriented programming... good!!!:)

2. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

There is the concept of a private mod, but its not yet fully realized. Unlike in rF1, we now have persistent online user accounts. As a result, allowing users to belong to teams and ModIDs assigned to teams privately becomes a possibility. But let me reiterate, this concept is not currently implemented, but its our plan to grow this system to better fit how the community wishes to use rF2.

3. shum94

shum94 Registered

So this borrow content of mod is more for league who can create their own championship using :
    - models of modders & their skins
    - tracks of their choice

So people can join this league championship, to avoid lobby dispertion and separation.

Or i didnt get it.

4. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Yes, this can be done. A league can take a mod, create a version that has new pit locations for example, and using a new Mod and Submit ID, make this available to its team. Then when someone wishes to join, if they have the unmodified version only, they will be told they are not able to join.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thank you for all the answers Gjon. Two more things I'd like to clarify:

Let's say two friends meet online and they say: "Let's race car X at track Y today!". What do they need to do? Create private mod with that car and track linked virtually?

And what if someone makes a track - must he release it as a mod with some / all of ISI's cars virtually linked to it, or can he just release a package (without a mod)? Seems like the best option but this would probably mean that packages need public ID's and version control aswell.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Expanding KSzczech question what about leagues providing multiple racing series competing on the same circuits? Should we release F1 mod with some tracks and also GT mod with the same tracks and WTCC mod including same tracks etc?

3 mods containing data of the same tracks? I is how it will be working or I missed something?

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I can answer that straight away - yes. We will have an F1 mod with tracks virtually linked to it, but of course we will not have to include these tracks in such mod directly.

If mid-season we will decide to change one track in our calendar, we will have to update mod file to link to this track.

But of course this mod does not need to contain cars directly either. They can also be virtually linked and in this case mod is more less just a racing series definition, wile cars and tracks are separate mods that are prerequisites for this mod.

8. ethone

ethone Registered

Yep, the virtual components would kick in there MaXyM.

I'm still unsure about having to create a public mod profile for a private league. With distribution still in our hands (and rightly so, in my opinion) we would still be able to keep the mod from going widespread, but the mod profile would show up in the matchmaker, correct? What information would be available to non-league members without the actual mod? Could they see the content or content pointers and would it appear as if say I had created a League ABC mod including Car A and Tracks A-H, having just taken Car A and modified Tracks B, C and F to create for our League ABC?

I know some modders go haywire as soon as someone looks at their content wrong. I would like to avoid having even more flame wars started just because some private league with 20 drivers uses Car A and modified Track B, causing Modder Z to throw a tantrum for having touched his work.

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I have not all my answer on the Gjon answers, so I list them again :)

- When the mod is released with a SubmitID all work well online. A new track is available (other SubmitId so), I need to update my mod to virtualy link the new track to the mod to be able to race on it online?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  10. DocJones

DocJones Registered

The diagram in the first post indicates that a sound.rfcm (which I assume is a file defining an alternative soundpack?) can be allocated. This makes me wonder if it leaves each driver the choise of using the mod's original sound or the soundpack? Or does allocating a sound.rfcm when creating a ModID make it mandatory to use that defined sound.rfcm?

11. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Thats a good question. With rF1 we were able to change non-mismatching parts of the mod to our liking. I remember changing sounds and track detail. Will we be able to do this with rF2? Looks like we will not.

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, I realize this question is partially off-topic, and maybe even have been answered before. However, it's a 2-part'er: Will rules/regulations be mod-able or hard-coded by ISI? In either case, will things such as tire wear rate, weather, flag rules, damage, and other settings be included in the Mod (or maybe just as default settings for the mod)? Or is it just content packaged in the mod, and it will be left up to the server admin to set these things?

Thanks for answering my previous question, Gjon!

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

My question has to be does this system now PREVENT any car from being raced on ANY track? When going online with classic F1's if the mod has 10 tracks defined will I not be able to just take that F1 to any track I have installed? Will the predetermined tracks be the only place where the F1 is allowed?

Will a car mod(with season) need to be modified to allow all tracks for use online?

14. WiX

WiX Registered

Thanks all for the clarifications. What at first looked as a rather strange way of releasing a mod, now seems interesting to say the least. I am getting exited .
    My apologies for questioning the method.

15. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

I think it would be better to call this kind of action as "Addon Series or League Addon for a Mod" and not a "Mod for a Mod", it just sounds too weird/stupid in my brains arrrgh make it stop....:confused:

Nice to see some progress still.
    Keep up the good work!

16. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

For both scenarios, one of them needs to create a mod with a new ModID (unless of course a mod already contains car X and track Y, in which case they can use that one) with the content they want to race inside, or virtually pointed to.

17. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

In this case where its for a common league and you know you want to race all three series, I would create a track pack as a component. Then a mod for each series with that track pack pointed to virtually.

18. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Right now private mods are not implemented, but even when they should up on the matchmaker, that detail you describe is not available. Basically its the same info you now see in rF1.

19. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Yes once you submit a mod, if you want to make changes, you need to create an update or a new mod pointing to the old content.

20. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

A .rfcm is an rF2 component, in this case a sound pack. By itself it can be used in single player or included in or pointed to in a Mod. This is no different than any other component; track, car, sound, UI, HUD, showroom.