Managing Content for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Dec 13, 2011.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Forum can be useful, while predicting / assuming problems based on speculations is in most cases useless.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Assumption leads to the mother of all.....you know the rest!

Arguing over what you Assume to be right or wrong is pointless chaps, just wait, it'll be here son enough then you can all argue to high heaven :)

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No one is arguing about to be right or wrong. I just pointed to some single issue I assuming to be possible with technology described. Nothing more nothing less. I don't think it is wrong, incorrect or not polite to talk about this.
    I write my assumption based on given materials. You arguing saying only that rF2 is not released yet which is a reason to say nothing about it. And I'm sure you missed the point of my first post, when I asked for explanation of this issue. But I'm not surprised since you joined discussion reading the last post only.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

eerr I have been reading it all...just seems like you're going round in circles to me!

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

true... answering to you, K Szczech and Lazza. Without your contribution I would wait silently for Gjon's answer.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

And you missed our point, which simply is: "What issue?" :)

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm sure Gjon will get the point better than you ;)

8. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Guys....shut up and drive :D

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

MaXyM, let's not forget you started down this path with

which sounds pretty dire; But ok, let's assume you just meant it'll make things more difficult than they currently are, to a point where the difference is annoying.

Well, it probably helps that I replied before you edited your post and bolded the important part and listed an example...

You're actually treating these two differently, which is the point you're missing.

For someone to make changes for their own testing in rF1 they have to know which files to change, obviously, and run the game. In rF2 it seems likely a mod is a single file, so part of the modding/testing process is to change the source files, and then 'compile' the mod into the single package file, probably in the modder .exe. Maybe you can test directly from source files without the need to compile a package file, but still it'll be pretty easy to make that one file and all the mod team will no doubt be able to do it.

So... the leap you're making is that unlike rF1, you're assuming everyone needs to send their altered files to one person who packages it up, registers the new version/patch, and everyone has to download the package/patch. Why can't everyone just have the modified files like in rF1 and package them themselves (the package will contain all the same files as the registered one... so I can't see any 'mismatch' issues occurring).

For that matter, maybe everyone grabbing the small patch from one person is actually a neater and easier solution than 5+ people all sending out and installing 5+ lots of altered files...

Either way, it hardly sounds flawed.

As you said yourself, you're making an assumption - and yet you're insisting you're making a valid point, despite not knowing if what you're talking about is even true.

What, after you said it's flawed?

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

First of all, I didn't wrote to community, but to Gjon or other developer to clarify my doubts. It is like registering some issue in issue tracker. You do that and wait what will happen from devs. For sure not for debating and arguing own doubts with people having the same knowledge about the feature.

Second, I think you missed the point of registering ID for online connection. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is some "language wall" between us:

In rF2, it is not enough to have the same files. Important is, to have installed the same version of package and this version must be registered to MM. So, if any of 10 modders do own fixes and save it into packages, registering each one into MM is how it MAY NOT work (at least I suspect such scenario). Maybe all those changes must be repackaged into single one and then registered as new version of mod.
    And yes, if this will work this way, I will find that more complicated than in rF1.

But maybe it will work other way. Maybe indeed it is enough to register any single patch separately and install all those packages. But IMO it would be hard to take care about consistency of the packages. How to check if you have final version 1.5 or just 1.0 with plenty of packages which in results gives the same files as 1.5?
    That's why I asked for explanation. Asked developers, not community which does guess as I do. Of course I'm glad to talk with others, sharing arguments etc. But I don't want to defend any of my word being shut up by 'it is not time to argue until rF2 will be released'

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011