Managing Content for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

What we're discussing here are "mod profiles" that are only used for checking if a user has the necessary content installed.

Essentially we're talking about a server-side version of the .rfm files here. There might be a bit of a hint in the extension .rfmod... ;)
    The way I see it at the moment this means a bit more administrative work for league/server admins who need to create new "mods" for whatever they want to run on their server. Those "mods" point to the tracks and cars (components) they want to use. It includes Car A, Car B and my Fuji track with its ModID/SubmitID.

User logs in, choses that admin's server. rF2 checks if the referenced components are installed. If yes, have fun. If not, or if one or more are out of date, it tells you.

2. Jan Duin

Jan Duin Registered

Hah! Very happy to see you're putting so much work in improving this part of rF.. Still having nightmares of trying to join an online race and not having the right version of any mod.. :(

3. ethone

ethone Registered

Petros, the download part is very seperate from what we're discussing atm.

League update stuff should be quite fine when we get what apparently is now called "private mods". ;)
    Much of what you describe makes me wonder how far you want to restrict the way people use your mods privately or within the environment of a restricted league. You're just talking about public mods here, right?

4. yugo23

yugo23 Registered

In case I don't have the right car/track when I try to join the server, how will rF2 inform me about this? Will the message include needed Submit ID or not? Without that information, I could try several times with different versions of the same track without success.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Petros Mak... there will be NO listings, menus or tabs for download of MODs from ISI. Everything will be as usual in regard of finding and hosting content. If a league wishes to alter part of a MOD, this will be possible exactly as it is now, however this new system is a great improvement since it can now be done without copying the entire MOD, users would have to download the original, and the two 'versions' would NOT conflict.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I think that's a big plus right there. We know that sometimes mods (car mods or tracks) implement certain things that a league (or even public room host) doesn't see as suitable; right now you need to modify the existing (original) mod, either just changing the things you want and giving those changed files to everyone (or the whole modified package), or you create a copy of the original mod, rename the files and elements as needed to keep it separate from the original, and provide that modified version for download.

In the first case, you've made it impossible to play the original mod from that install because you've changed some files; in both cases, and especially the second, you run the risk of being called out for 'releasing' a mod that isn't your work. I think most leagues are honest enough to clearly state when they've used existing work, but still...

With this system, you would create your own small 'mod' which just details the changes you want to make to the original. Everyone needs your small file and the original file, which they may already have. Then they can play on your server with the 'modified version', but then jump straight into a room with the original version and there's no mismatch - because they needed the original file for both anyway.

I suspect it'll take a little time for the concept to kick in (with probably a lot of 'full mods' in the meantime), and it's a bit of an unknown which direction it'll all head, but I guess that's why there's an open beta :)

Mod copying/hijacking is really a separate matter entirely. Anyone hoping to have some sort of automated copy-detection is kidding themselves - there are too many things that can be changed sufficiently to stop it being recognised as a copy but not so much as to actually 'break' it. But again... this is the case with any modding platform, and I still don't see why people who don't get paid for their work are so reluctant to let more people have it and increase the quality of rF/2 as a whole.

7. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I think I was just over thinking the interface layout of the new system. My bad.

8. frankwer

frankwer Registered

This system is good if:

- All dependencies is easily accessible and visible.
    - Installation is easy.

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

When do people understand, that ISI won't offer any downloads or installations ? This is merely a method to avoid that MODs are conflicting and causing mismatches.

10. shum94

shum94 Registered

I think it's time we try this system !

11. frankwer

frankwer Registered

Great, so the users will know that they dont have the right version of the mod, but they wont have a clue where to get the right files (without googling or searching forums).

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Correct, you have to visit the homepage of the MOD-Group - while you are there, give them some feedback and show your appreciation ;) I know, that some just want to download and don't care the least to who, why and what...

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Finding mods right now is very hard because there are so many dups. You may find a server running a modified track and simply Googleing for the track name will turn up too many downloads. But, if this new system says you are missing 67e5e53c-0d3e-4bf9-9a7d-dbb0d334a7b5. Then a Google search would be much more specific. But lets hope that part of this system will include download links. So rather then saying, "67e5e53c-0d3e-4bf9-9a7d-dbb0d334a7b5 not found", it will say, "67e5e53c-0d3e-4bf9-9a7d-dbb0d334a7b5 not found. Download it here: blabla.com/blabla".

I can't wait to get this stuff in our hands so we can start testing. :)

14. ethone

ethone Registered

It shouldn't include download links for the very reason I mentioned previously. Some mods are private not for pissing you off, but because they're for a limited group of people only, without permission given or sought to release it publically.

Never mind that providing the links (or just checking mods) themselves puts ISI in a precarious legal situation by appropriating unlicensed content into their sim.

15. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Depending on the way the download of Mods can be managed I see potential for Browser-Addons that install mods like Magnet-Links for Torrents. You call a URL, a browser-addon fetches the download and installs into a predefined rf-install. There is potential. :)

16. fastorro

fastorro Registered

How many time we need for add two tracks to one modid?

each web(admin) will have several "linked" mods? one modid for season? isn't it?

17. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Once a ModID is created only the owner can submit new versions. If a league alters a mod for their own use, it becomes a separate branch, with a new ModID.

As a general policy, ISI will not become an arbitrator. On a case by case basis however, we may be able to help facilitate each party to do the right thing.

18. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Right now it just tells you that you do not have the correct mod installed. Over time we intend to extend this to provide more information including options for where and how to get it.

19. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

I agree with you. The great thing about this process and our community, is that rF2 will grow over time in the direction that makes the most sense to the most people.

20. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Funny coincidence... I see the same potential... :)