[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hey William, I'm a bit puzzled with my latest AIW files. I never paid much attention to this before, but I don't see any yellow flags. I know the corner workers are not included but i'm missing the yellow flag icon on top of the screen. I see black flags, pit icons, fuel icons and so on, but never a yellow flag. Depends the yellow flag on corner workers?

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Hmmmm, the plot thickens! Could this be of the same reason all my lights are broken? Who knows there might be some naming convention I screwed up with those and they are screwing with other things as well. I will make it a point this week in fixing all the lights and including the marshal posts. Actually when those are in, the track is potentially of out alpha right then and there, unless I have missed some functionality :) For example, night racing, don't know if something special is needed to make it work, except for adding some illumination :)

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks!

Sure I can take a look, to be honest I hardly looked at additional maps other than diffuse/albedo, I just made sure they are there but that is about it. I will finalize textures when I
    feel like it :)

edit:
    Indeed the brick normal was inverted, I think you or somebody else reported this some months ago already even. For the kerb, only the asphalt edge
    is inverted, ah well, I will revisit all those anyway. Why? I'm not even using the Silverstone realroad shader yet, that's why ;)
    No worries, I'll grab bits and revise them to something more solid when I feel like it. For example I'm going to improve all kerb textures and shader
    settings in one go. It's just that I think filling up the track with more buildings and such is more important than finetuning things which are currently
    in there and are prone to change at any point in time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  5. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

hi wgeuze!

first of all i wanna thank you for your effort already its a freaking awesome track you made already at this stage. i did already like 50-60 laps there in diffrent cars and its just awesome and a pleasure to drive. With the FR3.5 or the Marussia you get really immersed on the bumpy straights when you try to aim for the apex its just a hell of a ride :)
    Thanks for your hard work i love it and iam following this thread since you started it its simply one of my favorite tracks. :)
    I hope you also can finish some markers for the breaking zones i miss some of them at the chicanes :) and some minor flickering issues on the pitwall and some popup trees. Thats gonna be an awesome beta for the track.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks Ernie! Good to hear! (previous feedback complained it was too flat and smooth)

If I out on brakemarkers, I'd love to see reference on which ones! Someone else reported a missing one a couple of weeks ago and he was very much correct and it was implemented in the
    first version after he made that comment! (bolderberg corner one to be exact)

Rest assured, after I conclude all things which should be functional in order for the league to be able to actually host the race event, then I'll carry on and start working on the visual stuff. Sure
    there are some visual things in there already but that is mainly playing and learning rF2 stuff. Painful example for this would be making a wrong assumption, resulting in literally every specular map
    used in the track, used wrongly... I assumed the shader names were telling me to store the specular in the alpha channel of the diffuse texture, how cute, but it's wrong! So, yes, flickering issues,
    specular issues, visually, it's one big issue which I'll tackle one material at a time :)

edit:
    Start lights and pit exit light appear to be in working order again, time to put all of them together again ;)
    Next up will be marshals, something else which I haven't done before for rF2, gonna be fun.. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It's pretty nice already. Had some laps in the new 370Z and the elevation and rumble strips make it very interesting. I don't know the circuit enough to help, but as long as you maintain your standards, it will be one of the best out there.

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, sounds good.

I think I'm going to start working on the visuals from now on, so I'll have to investigate for myself a bit what the standards are going to be like to be honest.
    To be able to place the starter marshal, I will be building the pitwall first, that will give me some clues as to what level of finish I can go with. I will try and minimize
    the amount of temporary/mockup work from now on as the track is in a functional more finished state than ever before :)

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yeah, it's totally usable now. The red lights stay lit up, but everything works fine. Don't forget the solar panels!

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yeah I borked all the lights a while ago, last week I fixed them all in one go and are in fully working order again :)
    Those solar panels must wait until buildings and pitlane are done I'm afraid, those are more decoration pieces. However,
    they are great little pieces to have fun with, so who knows I might build one in between the more time consuming jobs
    as a breather ;)

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Sure. Mostly texture work, I guess? Seems like simple objects. Are you doing a specific version of the track with the sponsors from one event?

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It depends on the object really. The pitwall at first for example looks pretty straight forward, but there is more to it if you take a closer look. In this case,
    modelling will possibly take more time than texturing. With your solar panels example, it will probably be more like 50/50. When I have some solid modelling
    done on the pitwall I'll post a screenshot, then you can see how much modelling can go into such a relatively simple looking object. This also gives me the
    chance to explore how far I want to go, props and objects wise.

I haven't decided about ads yet, the ones which are consistent throughout the track I have done so far, such as the Coca Cola ones and a couple of
    local companies but that is about it. I'm thinking about doing all trackside ads in one pass later and then I'll think about which ones to use. The latter
    isn't really an issue to begin with, it's going to take 5 minutes to change an add if I need to :)

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yes, I meant the solar panels looked like simple objects. Other stuff like bridges and that insane building must be very difficult. I look forward to watching this track develop. I've had a bunch of fun already. I guess if the track is open for track days, you could do a bare version and a super pimped one for GT events. xD

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Let's focus on getting a bare version to some level of finish first though ;)

15. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

But what about the rock festival, potato stands and apparel kiosks???? :p

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'll call the members of Bloodbath and see if they're interested in the gig ;)

17. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Even in this stage a lot of fun. A bit hard to get my brakemarkings right though :)Thanks for that, keep up the good work

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, if you miss some, by all means explain which ones and where. I've made this same request but never get answers which makes me believe I've got them all since I added the bolderberg one :)

19. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Possible to add ice/aquaplane strips?
    A whole range of FFB feelings?

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Probably, but this idea wasn't really needed anymore to be honest. I've yet to receive a single complaint about the surfaces in Zolder, leading me to believe they are as good as they can be at this point.

I'm working on the pitwall at this time btw, in order to place all the marshals, this needs to be finished for the starter guy :)