[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I know it has been a while since an Alpha, it's going ever so slowly... Anyway, my little playground called Zolder may have seen its last Alpha release today:

Alpha 0.23 download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/ih01l7ad61rj9db/Zolder_0.23_Alpha.7z

All functional stuff should be in here in now and at this point, technically, it's race ready. From here on towards the beginning of December all I'm going to do is fix things before
    the SRVN league (awesome league btw, I even joined myself!!!) has its Clio Cup grand finale event :) After that, well, just start to make things look nice I guess because that is
    what this entire thing was about in the first place, having fun building stuff for rF2 :)

As usual, report anything you're not happy with, unless you're looking at the wrong layout obviously, and I'll put it on the pile :p

To be complete, here is the changelog for this version and its predecessor, which you haven't gotten:

readme.txt:

Circuit Zolder V0.23 Alpha
    by William Geuze

Feedback? Yes please, report here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/8779-Zolder-WIP/page1

-- Known Issues / To do --

- Don't mind the visuals!
    - Main Pitbuilding will be re-textured
    - Performance, nothing has been done to optimize the track yet
    - Saturation/color balance between textures, very low priority
    - AIW Paths not final
    - Wall textures will be atlassed probably to increase performance
    - Guardrail textures will be atlassed probably to increase performance
    - I suspect something is off with the pit exit
    - nighttime racing not fully supported at this time
    - flickering walls appear to be an issue still
    - Pit speedlimit mismatch between actual limit and limit on signs at pit entry

-- Changelog --
    V0.23 Alpha
    - Added new pitwall base model (wip, just so I could place the starterworkers really)
    - Added marshals throughout the track
    - Slightly reduced road noise level for normal road, openwheelers were reported as undriveable

V0.22 Alpha
    - Added Tufstone edge next to kerb in the the first corner after the Terlamen Chicane
    - Subtle TFD changes. Rumblestrips should be felt more through the wheel, regular flat type kerbs
    have slightly more road noise.
    - Xobjects tweaked, Start/Finish moved to match actual S/F line and extended into pitlane
    - Guardrails_31 and Wall_25 added (first chicane/uphill)
    - Camera's updated by Tosch
    - HDR profiles added by Tosch
    - GDB and AIW tweaks by Tosch
    - decreased width of whitelines in pitlane
    - fixed asphalt edges in pitlane where a double white line shows up
    - removed a cast shadow flag for pitbuilding_a_decal, not needed for this mesh
    - Pitbuilding_B_Windows re-export
    - added pit spot decals
    - added pitlimit signs and white lines, moved xpitin accordingly
    - added gravel, textures are placeholders

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I had no problems with the Indycar there, except for getting my ass kicked. Will try this one asap.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Thanks William!

Slow progress is better than no progress. :D Take your time.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Excellent! Thanks W. :)

Now that I`m back "in the loop" as it were I`ll PM you soon... ;)

:)

5. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

I'm having a whole lot of fun with this track! Thanks for adding the missing brake marker! :) Now I don't have any problems tackling that corner.
    I really like the challenging AI, but there is a problem right before the first corner. If the AI is driving on the blocking line, he usually brakes way too soon.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I haven't driven Zolder but I have experienced this behavior on pretty much every track I have tried in this build, ISI or not.

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You're welcome :)

Still I will try and get that sorted at some point, there is no reason for the cars to take the block path and braking too early might be a fast path issue. Thanks for pointing it out!

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Picked up where I kind of left off :)

Diffuse only, hmmm, dirty :p
    [​IMG]

9. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Very nice! I almost started to import the whole thing to 3ds Max and patch it up myself. I'm kind of impatient. :p I would love to see a darker, less grainy road texture, something like the current ISI tracks. But I know that this is not on top of your to-do-list and you definitely don't have to hurry. I prefer a quality product instead of a rushed one. :)

Something I might add myself because I reallyreallyreallyreally want it: the main grandstand and the bridge with the big CPL Trans logo on it. :p (And it HAS to be the CPL Trans logo and not something different. :p )

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'd rather build my own track thanks ;) Just as a reminder, if I can work on this track for about 6-8 hours in a week, that's a productive week. I hardly have those.

Road texture isn't a prio at this time indeed, it's not even the Silverstone realroad shader yet, I have only worried about how it drives.
    Specially for you though, after the deadline in December, I will start to build the main grandstand with walkbridge, including CPL Trans logo
    on it ;)

By the way, I know the comment was light-hearted, but the thought of someone 'taking over' a project thinking they can do better because it is taking too
    long, for a scratch built track, not some crap 10 year old conversion by people who haven't got the slightest clue what the heck they are doing, very much not appreciated.

edit:
    Small screenshot to make up for my rant, which wasn't personal btw (just to make sure).
    This time I included a subtle normal map, does the job, default settings on the material still though, this was just a quick test.
    [​IMG]

Sk1marks, you don't happen to have a big CPL Trans logo lying around, do you? Since the Waklbridge is attached to both the pitbuilding and
    the pitwall, I might just build it before my deadline. Biggest reason for that is the floating startlights, which still look plain silly...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  11. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Maybe this helps:
    [​IMG]

I also have a slightly smaller, but clean texture of it. I made it to improve a Zolder convertion for GTR2. Might be useful? If you're interested: any idea how I can share the dds file?
    EDIT: in this video you can get a glimpse of the texture:

No worries about the doing-it-myself thing. :) I would merely put some slightly modified buildings from Simbin's versions in it, just for myself. In the end I would throw it away because I know you're doing a much better and detailed job. :)

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, I have some more shots myself of the logo as it is on track, but can't seem to find any other source than a photo anywhere. I will probably end up tracing it myself like I
    did with the ads on the main pitbuilding :)

13. Emery

Emery Registered

The three CPL logos I found on the web are worse than the photo. Use the photo!

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Indeed I shall, no worries.

Hopefully I can get the debris fences on there this weekend and this might be the first asset to get within the direction I'm going for although
    it is still a bit rough around the edges :)

Still mostly diffuse, normal doesn't match it anymore:

[​IMG]

edit:
    Traced it in Illustrator, this will do :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have a question I can never get answered around here, but perhaps you can given the lovely pics above.

Your textures and colours look very realistic and appealing. Not sure exactly why, but superior to what we see in many other tracks. But why, oh why, do the flag stand guys' red uniforms look like they are out of a 1980's video game? Is it just me who sees this garishness? Are they ISI flag men (I presume so). Can it be corrected by just giving them a subtler colour for their uniform? Is it a lighting/HDR problem?

Unfortunately, some tracks and cars are loaded with these horrid-looking colours and they spoil the scene, just these two gentlemen detract from your excellent-looking work.

16. Justy

Justy Registered

Don't most marshalls in real life, wear fluorescent orange though, or at least something hi-viz? I suppose the flag guys on the start/finish line could be a different colour, but can't say it's something I've ever paid much attention to before.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

USA marshalls ("turn workers" or "flaggers" are our often-used phrases) tend to wear white, sometimes with a fluorescent & reflective striped yellow/green highway worker's safety vest.

Realistically, a worker's uniform is going to be somewhat faded from many washings. It will not be such a saturated orange except in full sunlight. Of course few people remember to turn on the clouds in rF2... apart from a few tracks, real-life is much dimmer than the sunniest days.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
  18. Emery

Emery Registered

19. Emery

Emery Registered

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks, Emery.

Looks like ISI is going for the low-end digital camera (over-boosted colours to make the pictures pop) look ;)

But still, those are eye-searing red/orange uniforms!