[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

No reason you can't have both versions. Up-to-date is good, recently historic is good.

Will test when I'm back from vacation.

2. shiet

shiet Registered

3. shiet

shiet Registered

Here is a "thing"... in the morning, because otherwise it doesn't look OKish. :D

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Ctrl+H is your friend in DevMode (to get rid of purple gap indicators)... ;)

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thought you were working on Mosport? ;)

6. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Road Atlanta needs its own thread. :D

7. shiet

shiet Registered

Road Atlanta not gonna happen because Mario Moralis is working on it, no need to do two tracks. I started the convert but I made some problematic decisions during the creation of the track :D so I would need much more time to finish it than I thought.

Well there are things I can do and there are things I can't on Mosport.

For creating objects I would have to learn 3ds max or Sketchup (I'm guessing Sketchup is good) and for texturing I would need to learn Photoshop but that's a lot of time, especially the texturing part, because in Sketchup it's not a big deal to build a cube-like object :D but to create a texture... I guess. I'm super rookie in these things.

So I thought I should write a "have to do" list about the track, at least what comes to my mind at the moment.

1. new pit (it's on the terrain now, that's the reason for it's bumpiness)
    2. T1+T2 runoffs with correct realroad texture directions (right now it's perpendicular to the track at the bottom of T2 because that's also terrain)
    3. new kerbs
    4. new billboards with new logos
    5. ISI-grass
    6. ISI-trees
    7. new roadside objects (what we have now are from various BTB Xpacks, most of them are placeholders) + pit objects
    8. faster AI (altough it's pretty good right now, they beat me at 105%)
    9. tarmac-patches on the road like in the real world (the black ones), those give some character to the track
    10. new (white-)wall texture, because the one we have now goes completely white in the sun

What can I do from this list? 1 + 2 (in the works) + 8 + 6 (at the very end).

For 3+4+7+9(+10) I would have to use a 3D program for modelling and Photoshop for texturing and that's beyond me.

So the point is I won't be able to make the track nicer than it is now, that requires skills :) (I don't have)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

For ISI grass and trees you should look at Mores, Brianza and Portugal

9. shiet

shiet Registered

I tried Mores and AMP but it's tiled no matter what I try with the UV scaling. First of all only one channel (diffuse map T3 - grass_patch.dds in the case of AMP) is visible in 3Dsimed, the others are - I don't know.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hey shiet. Here is a quick edit of the track. Maybe you can use some of my changes for your next version.

-some texture work (adjusted staturation and lightness, added and modified specmaps)
    -new material settings (road, grass, walls, billboards, rescaled some texture channels)
    -added reflections (REFMAP0 (car reflection mapper)-road,walls,terrain,kerbs - REFLECTEDENV (environment reflection mapper)-billboards with reflect plane)
    -gdb adjustments (corrected location, new date, removed unused entries)

The download is the devmode version of the track. Just extract to the SDK - locations folder. Don't forget to save/rename the original version of your track!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yjln9yetwmcc6gx/Mosport05edit.7z

11. shiet

shiet Registered

I appreciate the effort however there are few problems.

1. I don't know what did you do exactly and how so basically I can't learn anything from it
    2. the track is WIP so anything you do in 3Dsimed or any other 3d program I can't implement into the track because I still work in BTB

What I noticed is the white wall not that luminous like before, I think now it's too greyish. I guess you adjusted the road bumpmap because the bumps are not that big. And the track feels like it has some kind of green fog. :D I don't know. Some kind of gloom or something.

So I would recommend not to do any update to the track until I say I'm finished with the work in BTB. I want to do the 1+2+6+8 points from above, after that you could take over the project if you want. :)

12. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Thanks for your work Shiet and Tosch, and everyone else involved.

Another great track for rF2! :)

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You can apply Tosch setting once you have finished with the objects in BTB.

BTB is a great tool to get your base track but you will need to finish some things off in 3dmax like race groove mapping. Most others can be done with gJED to get the best results, once you have finished in BTB. Remember you can always choose which objects to use after you export from BTB. You can change things in BTB and go back to your rF2. Only add to your rF2 project the objects you changed or new ones you added. So as you get your rF2 project looking good and your only adding new or changed objects in. Don't replace the whole track each BTB export and don't try and get the track to look they way you want it with spec and bump and that kind of thing in BTB. Do that with gJED and rF2 dev mode.

14. shiet

shiet Registered

I'm making the track between BTB<->3Dsimed<->rF2 devmode.
    That's why I have to make the "billboard tree" thing at the very end because I only want to do it once (in 3Dsimed).

I did the mappings (like racegroove, asphalt) also in 3Dsimed. I don't use 3ds max. gJED? I can't even load the project in gJED, nothing happens. Sorry I'm a noob (or maybe somekind of a help/description from ISI would help to know how to do things).

15. shiet

shiet Registered

After all I was able to load up a track in gJED, last time I checked the online help it was smaller.

Today I have created my first object ever in a 3D program (Sketchup). I knew it and this experiment confirmed me once again that I'm not a guy with this kind of talent, I spent hours just to texture this sucker because it didn't want to fit, the world's easiest object ever. :D

View attachment 18254

Here is the original http://picolio.auto123.com/auto123tv/images/ex/wd/ALMS-Mosport-2013_004.jpg?scale=980

16. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You have done a great job with that object.

For best results the race groove needs to be mapped to the fast line and 3dsimed can't do that. You will also find that the race groove texture will need rotating 90 degrees and 3dsimed can't do that.
    If you know how to make billboard trees in 3dsimed I'd like to know how you do it. As far as I know 3dsimed can display billboards but not make them.

17. shiet

shiet Registered

The racegroove seems OK to me, just try my track, it follows the fastpath. https://www.dropbox.com/s/909rxs3tnsbtfhu/mosport_v0.58.rfcmp?dl=0

"You will also find that the race groove texture will need rotating 90 degrees"

What do you mean by that? Where and why?

I can't make billboard trees but Euskotracks gave me a zip file full of billboard trees and gave me instructions in this thread (1st page) to paste them onto the track with 3Dsimed.

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Have you noticed the yellow polys around the track? It happens when the mesh is defined as real road (racesurfacexxx.gmt) but the material doesn't use the real road shader.

[​IMG]

Btw, you can remove the shadows on the xshape trees (maybe it's an option until you replace the trees with billboards). Try the "t1 no shadows" shader.

19. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I'm not sure why but always it needs rotating. Make a dummy texture with a colored stripe down the middle and check in simed which direction the stripe goes.

20. shiet

shiet Registered

Tosch: I know about that, that was a mistake I made in a hurry. :) This track is still WIP. :D

Nibiru: on the main road the racegroove is fine, it goes along with the track. The only place where the racegroove is perpendicular to the track is between T2 and T3 on the runoff-tarmac because that's not a road (yet) but a simple terrain (on my Mosport). I haven't decided yet how to fix it, either make a copy of the main track and expand it next to the main track or I use the terrain but I have to use different materials at different points of that turn so in 3Dsimed I can assign to them different (left-right, up-down, diagonal) racegroove textures (lol). Both of them works, the latter is easier to do but not that pretty. Btw I don't think anyone would notice the difference. :D