[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. shiet

shiet Registered

edit (2015.11.14):

http://kepfeltolt.es/images/2015/11/09/kep1.jpg
    http://kepfeltolt.es/images/2015/11/09/kep2.jpg
    http://kepfeltolt.es/images/2015/11/09/kep3.jpg
    http://kepfeltolt.es/images/2015/11/09/kep4.jpg
    http://kepfeltolt.es/images/2015/11/09/kep5.jpg

Mosport (CTMP) v0.901

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/mosport-ctmp-wip.7558/
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q9gwiadzn2jlz5/CTMP_v0.901.rfcmp?dl=0
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/drvxo7ngd5ynxfq/CTMP_v0.901.rfcmp
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original comment (2015.10.03):

Hi guys.

Sorry but I don't speak English too well.

So I would like to know this: does somebody work on Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) nowadays?
    I don't want to work needlessly. I have a working rF1 scratch-made version with very good elevation datas (I made it for myself to race against the AI :D) but the looks is not up to standard. So if nobody is working on this track right now I'm gonna try to make it look better. However you can't expect a top notch ISI-quality track from me because I don't have the talent/time to do that that's for sure.

(the video is just an attempt on the realroad).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
    Corti and CollierT11 like this.
  2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Please go for it. There is nothing anywhere, at least legally. Even better if this is better than the NR2003 version!

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Definitely work on it! Release it fairly early, then improve one thing at a time. Release the new improvements every 3-6 months and it will go well. As the updates come out, you're likely to get advice & help, but it's important to start with the objects that you feel are most important.

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yes. Mosport is an incredibly popular track so you will likely get help.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeah! Go for it shiet, it`d be amazing to have a good, quality Mosport for rf2. One step at a time and if you need help (of any kind) from the community or ISI just ask...

:cool:

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Was a guessing game recently if a track being tested by isi was in fact mosport.

7. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Whomever chooses to complete Mosport, please ensure that you add as many pit stalls as possible, at least as many as the current track. It would be great for endurance racing. 40 would be nice!

8. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks for the infos.

I know Mosport is super well-known and very popular along with a bunch of North-American tracks yet nobody cares (Watking Glen, Road Atlanta, Belle Isle, VIR, Road America, Daytona road?), NA-tracks are very under represented in rF2. I know an rF1 version Mosport from NeelJ which looks nice but the track itself is pretty much not-Mosport (unfortunately), it's very inaccurate.

So ISI has a Mosport in the works?

smbrm: right now it has 40 pitstalls/grid positions, I can make it even more, that's not a problem.

The problem is I can tell you right now is I don't know 3ds max at all so if I do this I do it with 3Dsimed and I'm gonna use placeholder "style" objects for most of the buildings. The rest (terrain) should look OK. :D Maybe I'm gonna learn Sketchup but that's also time and I don't have much of that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  9. RJames

RJames Registered

Another big thumbs up here! Getting it out there and getting feedback is the first step in taking it to the next level. It looks like you have all the basics covered with the layout and scenery and it looks like a great start.

10. shiet

shiet Registered

This is more problematic than I thought. I don't even know what's the problem with the tree shadows, only half of a tree casts shadow.
    Also I tried to use the grass from ISI AMP track and it looks awful around noon, absolute not like in the original track (I'm using bumpmap and specular map too, still).
    So as I said I don't have the knowledge to do this, it would be better if someone else would do this. Help via forum is not really viable option because this way I will never finish the track.

11. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

So you give up in just one day?
    Come on! Take a day off whenever you get stuck and ask for help about it around here. People will help you for sure...

For trees: Use rF2 original bilboard trees. What I do is to isolate them and plant them individually:

I made this xpack for my personal use. I share it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qod67llm63w1u5n/BB_TREE_XPACK.7z?dl=0

1. open a new instance in 3dsimed.
    2. copy the terrain object where you want to plant trees from the scn and paste it into the instance up you created in step 1.
    3. open one of the trees you want to use. Press CTRL and select both faces of the billboard and copy faces.
    4. Go to the instance where you pasted the terrain object. Right click and memorize XYZ where you want to plant. PASTE FACES and click MR to place it where you memorized.
    5. If you want to plant more trees of the same type memorized another XYZ and paste faces again. You do not need to copy faces again.
    6. Save the object and name it treegroup1. Assign it's pipettes when placing it within the scn.

It is actually quite quick. In a couple of hours you will have the job done.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

12. shiet

shiet Registered

You see that's the problem. At first I didn't even know what is an instance. Neither do now but I guess you meant new scene.
    I did point 2+3+4+5.
    Now I have a terrain and a couple of trees but these trees are not objects, just material hovering above the grass and I don't know how to make them object nor how to save them as an object.

[​IMG]
    (this is just a test scene)

And I needed an hour to do this simple thing with 4 trees. :D And basically you are saying that I have to start the terrain from scratch with 0 trees and put them on the terrain one by one? :D Do you see the problem? I thought I can make the rF1 grass/trees work without too much of a complications.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If you are confident the elevation and layout are accurate, then your best bet is to offer this already-decent and working-in-rF2 track to people with graphics and AIW skills to update to rF2 standards. By the sounds of it, you would be frustrated and take 10 years to accomplish it yourself. Why bother if you are not a track/graphics artist? You already did something most cannot--build the fundamental working track accurately. Time to work with or hand it over to people with different talents. Your time would likely be better spent building a new track that we don't already have so, again, you could pass it to others to complete the graphical components. Just my 2 cents worth...

15. shiet

shiet Registered

I will try to release a working version on the weekend or before. So the visuals won't be good because of the trees/some terrain textures (can usually only seen from trackside cameras) but other than that it will be OK.

Since this was my first ever track I made I had to reconstruct the whole circuit today because the track width was wrong everywhere. Now it's good.
    I changed the grass and the AI is OK now too.
    There is a flickering building on the track (only visible from distance) and I don't know the problem yet with that.

Until now I applied the realroad only on the racing road but not on the side-tarmac nor on the ripplestrips so that's gonna be another challenge for me.

So before the weekend I will try to do these things and then release the track and then we will see what's next:
    - realroad on every tarmac/ripplestrips
    - tarmac-grass transitions
    - terrain elevations here and there
    - change the ripplestrips to nicer ones

and other things I don't think I will have enough time for:
    - tarmac patches/fixes
    - buildings/billboards
    - crowds/roadside cars/etc.

If somebody is interested in making visual upgrades to the track (later) then just say it.

16. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Looking forward to it!

Going back to what people were talking about earlier, no reason to get discouraged. What you have done all ready is more than what I am able to do 3d modeling wise. Take thinks step by step. The thing that I realized with rF2 (in my own project) is that it takes time to create that initial work flow. Once you have done that path a couple times, the creating and getting ingame is easier and easier.

Again keep up the great work!

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You simply have to export to rf2 object after step 5. There are two exporting options: one for scn and one for gmt. You should use the gmt option.
    the terrain object will not be saved in the gmt when doing so. Do not need to delete it before exporting. It is just used as reference

Then open the scn and add the just created object. Primitives ->add object.
    assign properties (shadows) and export the scn.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

18. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Yes. please release! This is one of the most fun tracks to drive, and getting it out there will result in more interest, more people contributing, a better track... etc.

19. shiet

shiet Registered

I've just tried to drive the first time on the track... :D I mean in rF2 after the new track width changes. Good. The problem is it's very flat, it need some tiny bumps here and there.
    Is there any method to do this? Some material or something? I won't make it bumpy this week that's for sure (not enough time), but later I would like to.

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

If you have the max files you could try this.