[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks, cool, I understand. :)

2. shiet

shiet Registered

Maybe stupid question but is this the way you make those good looking worn/weathered/cracked/dirty curbs too? Because I want that really bad. :)

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You can do it that way. Depends on your reference pictures.

Here is an excellent guide how to create albedo maps. Includes tons of useful information.

http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=AlbedoMap

4. shiet

shiet Registered

Is this good? [​IMG]

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

To bright. In photoshop go to Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation and reduce the Lightness by 20 - 30 clicks. A texture in rF2 should represent the object as it looks in shadow (ambient light only) and most people don't believe how grey something white looks without sunlight or an extra light source.

6. shiet

shiet Registered

Hmmm I understand. But I don't want that dark/greyish colors as in your modified Mosport (I remember). Those were grey even at noon under direct sunlight :), I think that's too much. The initial released track had super white walls/curbs, that wasn't good either. Somewhere between the two.
    So basically the texture is OK except for the brightness? I will experiment with that.

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Let's say the material is something between white paper and white paint. The albedo for white paper is 0.7. The albedo for white paint is 0.8. We calculate with 0.75. RGB for white is 255,255,255. You can find the list of generic physical materials albedo here.
    http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=AlbedoMap

0.75 * 255 = 191.25

That means the brightest part of your albedo map should not exceed a RGB value of 191,191,191. I always leave some space for specular reflections (specular reflections are way brighter than white billboards). The RGB for white in my example texture is 167,167,167.

[​IMG]

The texture in ambient light.
    [​IMG]

The texture in sunlight. If you make the texture brighter you loose all the fine details because you hit the RGB wall (255,255,255).
    [​IMG]

Specular reflection.
    [​IMG]

8. shiet

shiet Registered

OK I get it. Your pictures look OKish, but still the wall and the curbs were too dark at Mosport, albedo or not albedo. :) Maybe you left too much room.
    The mean value of this Canadian Tire picture (above) is 179 and that's already below 191.

Maybe this is the reason why a bunch of players complain about the greyness/washed out colors of rF2, I simply don't believe that's realistic.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Tosch's work looks best under ALL conditions. He is showing how to properly adjust something if you want it to look best under the current rF2 HDR programming, which isn't perfect. If you set something to look a bit better under one light condition, chances are it will look much worse under a different one. The "washed-out" look is a characteristic of the current rF2 programming. That could be changed globally, perhaps if many people complain. It could also be adjustable in the future if ISI allows. But regardless, you still have to adjust similar to what Tosch is showing if you want a track and objects that properly and proportionately respond to the changing light that rF2 throws at them.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You are right. The curbs are to dark because they use a different shader (real road shader). The secondary texture for the real road shader is the asphalt multi map (road detail map). This texture is multiplied with the primary texture, normally the road diffuse map or in this case the curb diffuse map. Multiply blend mode makes everything darker depending on the "darkness" of the multi map. A white multi map does nothing.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/layer-blend-modes/multiply/

The greyish washed out colors are a result of texture saturation, or better desaturation. There were a lot of complaints in the past about the color palette in rF2 (oversaturated, looks like a comic book...). The first rF1 conversions looked horrible, because nobody adjusted the textures for HDR environment. The rF1 gfx engine has no "sun" (only ambient light) so you have to bake the sunlight into the texture. For rF2 you have to remove the sunlight from the texture.
    Another reason for the greyish look in rF2 could be the light sources. Direct and ambient light are out of the box white, but when you look at a shadow on a sunny day, you will notice that the shadow has a blueish tone because of the ambient light created by the blue sky. If you modify materials in 3dSimEd you will find "light sources" for each material (Diffuse RGB, Ambient RGB, Specular RGB). Try a bright blueish tone (176,202,205) for ambient RGB, a bright orange (253,232,205) for diffuse RGB and a bright yellow for specular RGB.

11. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Tosch, for the record, your stuff always looks amazing.

12. shiet

shiet Registered

Today I started this texturing thing with the albedo values in mind and I hate this. I have no idea what I'm doing and if it's good or wrong. Also the whites under direct sunlight seem to be too bright still while I lowered everything. Also I added textures to the walls on the bridges and I have no idea if they're good or not. Aaaaand the fence texture flickers on the Champion bridge while I'm moving.

ps: wait until 1080p/60fps is available.

13. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

English sorry but I have to say, the problem is lack of brightness, color shadows everything is very good but as the brightness is weak seems faded , Asseto dull is ugly, RF2 has little brightness, dull prcars is ugly RF2 has little brightness

14. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

post processing effects enabled. (Asseto Corsa)...
    It is what makes look good and '' brilliant ''

15. Emery

Emery Registered

> Aaaaand the fence texture flickers on the Champion bridge while I'm moving.

Technically it's a moire pattern rather than the flicker of z-fighting. Are the hand rails modeled as polygons or are they a simple texture like chain link fences?

16. shiet

shiet Registered

They were simple transparent textures but I've just finished the modell so there are actual hand rail now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  17. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Sheit, thank you so much for your work so far, this track is such a pleasure to drive. Have been having a blast on it so far.

AI is reasonably quick and fun to race (they dont do anything unnatural) but easy to pass without any defensive line. Their line into and then through corner 2 could be tighter. But really you have done a good job with them so far.

One request??? I know its a lot of work and a good effort you are making to create Canadian Tire Motor Sport Park, but could we also have Mosport?? The change could be as simple as removing the asphalt run off areas in corner 1 and especially corner 2, there needs to be some punishment when going off there.

Thanks for this MEGA track, LOVE it.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The real Mosport/CTMP has this section paved now. Are you saying to include an older version when it was still grass?

19. shiet

shiet Registered

I want to finish my part on this track in October because at the end of the year I won't have much time.
    I want to improve the AI and I also like the "old" Mosport more than the new one (originally I built the old) so we will see what can I do, it really depends on how can I lay down the billboard trees. Doing the tree-thing twice wouldn't be fun.

20. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

if you have 3ds max you can use mario's scripts for billboards as long as your texture is 1 up. or I can give you a method I use to convert if texture has multiple images on it and not lose the uv mappping. Either one only takes a few mins.

But thats in max if you can get it