[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Congrats! With regards to photo and 3D, it looks like it could be ~40cm taller (the base arm, not the stand area) but the other dimensions judging by eye look good.

2. shiet

shiet Registered

Hehe I though the height is OK (the guy next to the building is 173 cm) but it should be longer (based on the real life photo). I have no other source so I measured the length/width on Google Earth, the height is just an estimate.

3. shiet

shiet Registered

I have a problem with Sketchup.
    When I export my object making a Google Earth 4 .kmz file Sketchup resizes my textures. So for example I have an 512x512 texture on the object. After the export this texture becomes 508x509 in size. Why and how?
    Looks like rF2 doesn't have problem with this but rF1 won't load the track.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I think I used .obj if not .3ds on the few occasions I have used sketchup and not had an issue. I wouldn't use a kmz or kml file

5. shiet

shiet Registered

I have to use kmz for BTB xpacker. Pngs and a dae are inside the kmz.

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

No you don't. I would make changes to the object and set shaders etc in 3Dsimed and export as .3ds for xpacker. Give yourself .dds images

But you really don't have to put it in BTB if you have it in dev. Just put it in your track and add the instance lines for the object manually in the .scn adjust the position in 3dsimed and export object again

7. shiet

shiet Registered

I'm just experimenting...

[​IMG]
    origi: [​IMG]

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

looking good......doing well keep it up

9. shiet

shiet Registered

I tried to export this "bridge" with .3ds format and then open it with 3Dsimed. Sketchup export resized one of my texture from 512x256 to 475x168 and the other from 512x256 to 464x164. WTF?
    I also tried to export to .obj but that's even worse in 3Dsimed half of the bridge is invisible (I think that part which uses the photo texture).

I think the problem is that I'm stretching that photo onto the object, basically I'm trying to stretch an image (photo) on one side taken from a youtube video. :D It was just an experiment.
    I guess I have to make multiple textures and not just one.

10. shiet

shiet Registered

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The black is to black. The white is to white. Best way to start is to reduce contrast (-30). Make sure image mode is RGB. Create a new layer and fill it with a nice random gray scale pattern. Change the layer mode from Normal to Soft Light. Change the brightness and contrast of the new layer until you have a nice blend with the original texture.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi shiet.

First of all congratulations for your job. You are learning pretty quickly.

I can tell you that you are using the exactly same method that I use ;) : BTB combined with 3dsimed. Object creation with google sketchup and export to 3ds to create track/object xpack to introduce the objects in BTB.

Some tips for GSU: After finishing an object with SketchUp, change texture sizes to powers of 2 and dds format. I prefer to do this task manually in photoshop when creating the xpack. Never until the dimensions are finished.
    Before that I typically work with original jpg files in sketchup. You will learn to create new textures which is good when the pictures are much bigger than the detail that is actually used. One of the greatest things of sketch up is the push/pull feature which helps perfectly matching the shape with the photo dimensions. Your bridges are very good examples of this.

I do also know what a pain can be switching back and forth from one to the other, especially when terrain+road is not fixed. I also leave the trees until the terrain is finished. Having to play with different scns and backup gmt folders is also very annoying! I would suggest you to create personal intermediate versions from time to time as security backups. With such a messy procedure, it is easy to make mistakes.

For what you ask I would suggest to use semitransparent masks in different layer to superpose with the "perfect texture". The transparency is set with opacity and different blending techniques are available in the layer options.

I feel a lot of empathy with your job. Your attitude reminds me to some guy who made a conversion of a long and famous track. Remember to give yourself a break from time to time when you get stuck to prevent falling into frustration. ;) Beware also that this guy got a bit nuts for not dealing correctly with the feedback from the community. Be ready to read things that will for sure upset you at first. Try to be positive about those and do what you want since it is your creation.

Cheers!!!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Even with rF2's kind of HDR, isn't 225,225,225 too grey? I thought things should be moved from 255 to 240, maybe 235 at most. Same thing but reversed in the other end of the spectrum, not go darker than 15 on rF2.

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

That's exactly what happens when you reduce the contrast. Here are a few examples.

Btw, the grey scale pattern I used to blend with the diffuse/albedo map can be very useful to create the bump and spec map.

[​IMG]

15. shiet

shiet Registered

Could you please describe exactly what did you do with the third pic (the second below the original). Because as I said I'm super noob in Photoshop and with your suggestion above I got only a small amount of grain (or sthing like that) on the pic, that's all.

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is precisely the difference between something that looks "digital" (the first pic) and "real" (progressively more realistic from pic 2 to 3 to 4). Awesome.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Shiet -

Got around to sampling the track, second version. It's nice to have those elevations close to reality! I know you know about the roughness in pit lane and are working on it, but my question would be what panel length (size of polygons) are you using for the main track? It seems to be a little chunky, particularly on some of the elevation or banking changes.

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

NICE, Tosch! Impressive!

20. shiet

shiet Registered

Euskotracks: thanks.

Tosch: thanks. I will try to do something similar. The bottom picture looks nice if I want a yellow back billboard (I don't really know how you say it in English) but that's not what I want. The 3rd picture is good.

Emery: the road is divided into 8 pieces in width and the "blocks" are 3 or 1 meter long. Looks like this if this is what you are interested in. I don't really want to touch this anymore.

View attachment 18296

I'm almost done with the new objects, I mean the modelling part, after that I have to texture them, that will be difficult (for me).