What would you pay for a great mod?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTFREAK, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

Well yes you could take pictures of the exact textures, how feasible that is in the real world I dont really know, but good luck with it anyway, I,m pretty sure thats going to have its drawbacks!, since you,ve been a cheeky bugger I,ll put my money where my mouth is, but your paypal links on your site are in german? and there seems to be a problem in donating.

On the football thing what does the spectator get out of the football match, that a downloader gets out of usinga track or mod?, I assume the spectator is watching a "friend, relative" play and they are showing their support, they can only watch the match once, thats it, but a downloader he or she can repeat the same thing pretty much forever.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  2. ethone

ethone Registered

Thanks for beta-testing the button. ;) Could you try again and see if it's in English now? I didn't actually change any settings but it appears in English for me now.

On the football thing: Both modders and the (amateur) footballers engage in that specific section of their activity (that specific game/mod) because they like doing it or because they hope it will pay off in the long run with a calling into the professional side of each activity, not because they personally get paid a certain amount by every single spectator. Asking money for mods (time, effort, server costs) would be like the footballer asking you for money for their shoes, shampoo or body lotion. ;)

Taking pictures and using it as a base for textures is a dispute I had with Luc many many years ago (2001? 2002?). I hope he doesn't remember since I expressed the same view you now hold in a pretty rash manner back then as well. My opinion and experience with such textures has changed, and while I'm not sure whether he's still as insistent on that approach as he was back then, it certainly can be made to work. It's not a 1:1 copy from a cropped photo to a texture though unless you had perfect natural lighting and we're talking about a primitive object like a sign. Currently I mostly use resources from cgtextures.com which I modify or composite to use in my tracks. But I guess that's a different discussion. :)

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't really think that I should be paid because of my time spend to modding, but for some non modders it might be bit enlighting to know how much it actually is that we are ready to put effort to making mods.

Also I think that with our 'audience' being so small, we can't except much more than some part of hosting costs to be covered. To be realistic, I would estimate for example my Volvo mod hacing audience of maybe 200 at max, it is not a hot car model what comes to majority.

For popularity I would do open wheel or GT/prototype series, but to be honest, those don't interest me, or well known tracks.

I think modder is the stadium owner, they set up stadium so that teams can play and audience can watch, mod being a stadium, football players being the leagues and audience is perhaps something we see in rF2 if there is some sort of spectator plugin?

So we build the stadiums, mods (including tracks).

With well organized network of modders, I believe we can have effect to how people are finding mods, well, I did just put something to webring blog about that one. http://finnsontrack.weebly.com/modder-webring.html

Oh and Ethone, if you can get used Nikon D40, I have found out that it does better pictures than D3100 that replaced it, even when I set D3100 to lowest resollution images tends to get shoft in not so perfectly lit areas, with D40 they did appear only dark, not soft. D3100 is better in perfect conditions, but my good photo rate went down a lot with D3100.

4. Dahie

Dahie Registered

You have been flattred! :)

I'd like to go off topic for one moment and say thanks to anyone for this long, controversial, but friendly and constructive discussion! This is one of the hardest topics you can tackle in this community and I like this mature style discussion! Thanks! :)

5. coops

coops Banned

hi tim wondering can you put an avatar of your sim for us all to look at