What would you pay for a great mod?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTFREAK, Nov 8, 2011.

1. modmate

modmate Registered

Well, NO! My Opinion is just NO Modder out there should charge any money for a any mod! If there is a Donate Button its absolutely fine and for some mods out there it also should be there. I got myself some donations and i was pleased, even if i got NO Donate option anywhere they ask me for it. Thats great and should go on just like it is. Guys like Balenesko destroy the modding scene on the long run, even more cause he doesnt do it by himself the most time. Thats even more BS.Seriously, if we take that example of Balenesko, he charge about 7$ for a car, wich after i read some forum entries have just good looks but verry verry bad FFb and overall feeling, what would it be like in about 1-2 years? About 30$ for a Trackpack or what? That would get Bad anyway, like it went some time ago with some companys charging money for CFW`s ...gosh please just DONT!

Modmate

2. erale

erale Registered

I'm pretty sure the models they're selling are ripped off the Forza Motorsport games.

3. erale

erale Registered

So why doesn't anyone donate then? A lot of people here are saying they would pay for a mod but still nobody does donate for a mod he had many hours of fun with.

If every second or third person who downloads and also is enjoying a mod would donate 1 euro. Most modding teams could pay their server bills for years!

But in reality many modding teams could even pay their server bills for two months with all the donations they've got over many years. So instead of just talking to pay/donate: DO IT!

4. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  5. modmate

modmate Registered

In my case i can say that i surely get some donations. Sure, not all people enjoying a mod over weeks are willed to even Donate to the author but that ok, cause if your Mod is a really enjoyable one without hundreds of bugs im verry sure you`ll get donations here and there. I know myself a so called "modder" wich claims for donations just because of a changed value inside a config file for F12011. Such Guys are weird, but these are the ones which step first on that "pay for my MOD" Boat and ride just into the cliffs.:p

No, i see your post "s" . Thats a really good thing , also just the "good" mods will get their points then.

Greets Modmate

6. Dahie

Dahie Registered

A proposal does not get better by being loud and intruding! Work on the idea and present it in an appropriate manner!

7. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Sorry i didnt mean to be so passionate.

But the modders make the rest of this game.

Even if its a small return ,you guys deserve something back.

'Fly buy's' are a good way to get some recognision.Even with no monetary return

8. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Home brew can make you a bit loud ....sorry

9. Syonco

Syonco Registered

If i was going to spend money on a mod it'd have to be a good one.. This one looks like crap. Model & interor looks crap. The bar has been raised, crap like this will hopefully sink to the bottom of the list.

10. ethone

ethone Registered

kleanphil, feel free to pay us. I prefer a direct bank transfer. I'm not sure why you're trying to force everyone else to pay me too though. I guess I should just take it and run with it, seeing how I would benefit... ;)

Personally I'm not modding for payment. If I were, I wouldn't be releasing free mods now would I? I'm modding because I a) like doing it and b) to get my work used by as many people as wish to enjoy it. Payment doesn't preclude a) but it certainly precludes b).
    I also have no interest in the hassle of selling my mods. Administrating payments, distribution and access. Urgh. Nevermind the legal implications of selling mods without a license for the tracks (in my case).
    If I want to get payment for my 2d/3d work, I'd look to work with a developer. Be it ISI directly or a more project-oriented developer like Reiza or SimBin (after the split) who relied on a bought engine. I might do that not too long from now, but then I am not modding anymore.

From a community standpoint forcing everyone to pay through the back-door of higher subscription is a no-go. Try telling people they'll have to pay for mods they don't like because you would like them to. Direct payment for mods isn't benefitial to anyone but the modder either. You fragment the community since only those who have paid for Mod A will be able to use Mod A. Running a league will be a lot harder when you run a pay-for mod on pay-for tracks and everyone needs to have bought the cars/tracks.
    iRacing went that way and became fragmented both on the cars and tracks side. You introduce a vicious cycle with unpopular cars/tracks staying forever unpopular because nobody buys unpopular cars/tracks you can't run against other people.

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

RF2 should have a system like Team fortress 2 where users can buy stamps / or more directly donate for example the UI should have a donate button on it so at least its advertised in game that people can donate to modders.

For people that don't want money for mod work they can disable it or have it go to a charity or something.

12. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

this world its not good anymore. going to mars. but I will take rFactor2 beta with me

13. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I would pay $0 for a mod.

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm having issues when it comes creating graphics, now I could perhaps by graphics work but it would cost hundreds if not even thousands of euros when done professionally to level I prefer.

720€/month is from which I have to pay house, food, bills, everything, so one mod is not moving much because no matter how hard I try I seem not to be able to do graphics properly.

Donations might help in this situation for sure, but when mod is not going to be wildly popular then it is perhaps bit hopeless to think that I would earn any donations and specially before mod is released.

Paying small amounts per car to hobbyist modeller might be one route, but would it create situation where modellers start to ask price from their work generally and slowly upping the price?

All I know is that since 2006 there has been four modellers promising and not delivering, free route seems quite unreliable for me at least.

Maybe that helps many who are not modders to understand other aspects of this subject.

I have never asked donations or money from what I do, because what I do is my hobby, when I ask anything out from it it becomes a job, but sometimes I'm just thinking that it might be only way to get good graphics to pay something myself.

It is really the reality that modders do pay to you to get your fun in racing, if it is not always directly money at least it is time.

So for someone asking money I can't really be against him doing so, but it is always personal choice at the end, same goes for racing, if someone is willing to pay really a lot from mod, that is his right.

15. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

Zero. The best modders do it for the fun and have a donate button. If I created a mod, I'd be flattered seeing people put vids of it on youtube etc, and would'nt dream of charging for it. One example I've heard of was someone charging to do a custom paint job on a car. Ridiculous really, and greed ain't good :p

16. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

hi ethone,what i suggested isnt to make people pay directly you for your mod,but simply, just like youtube ,if your mod or track gets used you build up points.Once enough points are collected you get a small recognition from ISI for your contribution.

ISI have put in position a platform that has a lot of potential ie,yearly subscription,a subscription pays for services ,its up to us to make the most of it.

I know you guys love what your doing and do it passionatly,i just see an opportunity for you to get some recognition via ISI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  17. ethone

ethone Registered

Yeah, I realize that. The last paragraph dealt with that though. ;)

Unlike Youtube (where it comes from advertisement revenue I presume), the money comes directly from everyone who paid for rF2, whether you like any mods or not. You're asking everyone for their money to go to modders through a mandatory fee included in their subscription. With donations or sales, at least you'd pay directly for what you like. Which mods get the money relies very little on your personal choice (and if it relies on download-numbers, having downloaded that awful mod makes it a whole different taste of awful ;)).

Long story short:
    - mandatory fee for everyone, mod user or not
    - not your choice to whom your money goes

On another note, when I released Fuji more than four years ago I didn't ask for money, I asked for a postcard from wherever people resided. I got one each from Japan, Italy and Berlin. When I release Fuji for rF2 in a week or two, can I count on a postcard from Surfers Paradise kleanphil? :)

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

You pay $83 for rFactor 2 engine and infinite multiplayer access. How can you believe that a mod is worth more than that?

No one here other than the ISI guys could create a racing simulation as good as rFactor 2. Otherwise they would have done it themselves instead of making a mod.

19. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I would pay some cash for a very accurate and up-to-date International Le Mans Series mod, including all categories (I meant, drivers talent, well done skins and fully functional multiclass racing). But I know that’s a tricky matter… it involves a lot of concerns. Mostly, I wouldn’t, except in the cases of high-classes Mods.

RF1 speaking, I would pay for 3 or 4 mods with reservations (ILMS, PCC_997, Armarolli and maybe F1-1979)