What happened to the sim racing community with rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

People are missing the point... In ones' eyes it's illigal, in another it's not.. The point is, it's not 'morally' correct to be converting tracks for release without permission from the author.

Comments about legalities because someone is creating a track 'for free' and wishes to replicate what it is/was should be left alone.. Soon we will find no-one creating tracks for public because of peoples comments and approach towards the 'I can do what I want and nothing you can do about it' attitude.. It's not morally right to be playing around with peoples work without permissions, that's all there is to it.. They have spent their time giving you something to play on for Free, the least people can do is do the right thing by the authors.

People do convert tracks for their own leagues, communities etc. Yes, and people will make changes to my tracks, Feels, Tuttle etc, but it's having these changes 'leaked' out or handed out as their own work which is where the 'morals' come into it..

If you plan to distribute tracks beyond your own comminities, to other games etc, then people just need to ask permission..

'Leaked' tracks come from communties who change tracks, publish them on a site that they think is safe (locked down), and you will be surprised at what you can download from sites just by doing alittle snooping..

Very nice weather :) 4 Pages in and I'm still reading.. All this in one day.. Looking forward to the following pages..

2. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

The most important thing is, I can already see conversions from other sims original content. Everyone who thinks that this is ok and totally legal doesn't use his brain.exe.

Creating a mod which will be on par with the quality of today's base content is very time consuming, but this shouldn't lead a lot of "modders" to stealing base content of other titles to save time. Period.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

There are exceptions to every rule.

What about this, someone who asks permission from the copyright owner and is denied then still goes ahead and publicly releases free or sells the work in another "medium" ....... I assume you mean sim.

In that case why even bother having copyright and EULA with addons...................

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Reported for misquoting after I asked you nicely not to do it.

You petty attempts at inciting me won't work.

It takes class to make my Bi Polar kick in and you have none.

lmao

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Guys. Leave it alone. It seems to be more silly than insulting. I'm on the verge of just giving you a break from each other via a temporary ban, and I don't want to do that. Can you just leave it? Both if you.

Also, please add each other to your personal ignore lists if you feel unable to control yourselves.

Thanks.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Someone pass the Popcorn...

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I found a method to protect my tracks :p
    I'm watching you guys :rolleyes:

link1

8. Miro

Miro Registered

lol

9. SVO

SVO Registered

Love it!

10. coops

coops Banned

comes down to MORALS..... if you have some you will ask... if you don't you will do what you want.

11. Domi

Domi Registered

Feels3 is totally right here. You can't import content from other games without permission. It's illegal, you ALWAYS need the authorization of the creator of the work, otherwise you can face legal issues.

Teams like Simbin, Codemasters, ISI, iRacing, etc, spent a lot of money licensing tracks, and ripping their stuff can affect their sales, so actually that's a problem, even if you are not asking money for the conversion.

And don't try to convince me about this, because I talked directly to Simbin about this. And iRacing also took legal actions IIRC against some guy who was converting their tracks to rFactor and Netkar.

12. canastos

canastos Registered

:D:D you could also place a toll at the end of the pit lane :p

byyyyyyyye

PS: Regarding what Tim said, now I'm thinking about add someone to my ignore list, even more, I would call it post busters list; to the ones listed there I would say, if you have nothing good to say, better be quiet (understand it if you want to)

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Dammit... ok, sorry I'll behave.

feels3... wanna bet that someone is hotwiring that pickup as we speak.

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Well there are a couple of things wrong with your post. Feels doesn't have a license for his tracks nor is he allowed to use trademarked names in the trackside objects so you can't compare his work to simbin,codies or iracing. Alot of people are ripping tracks from iracing,codies or simbin but only the stupid or arrogant ones are putting them out there for everyone to download.

I also disagree that ripping a track from iracing for example effects their sales. They get a sub cost and $15 from the person who is going to rip it who would normally not give iracing a dime. It's also like a demo and free advertising for them.

15. Domi

Domi Registered

That will be feels3 problem, but anyway you can't use his work without his authorization, because he is the creator of the work and only him can decide what to do with it.

I dont know about iRacing, but what I said are words from Simbin. Using the same graphics/physics engine as rFactor doesn't help in this case, I believe.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never wanted to insult anyone.

Can someone who has the titles give me a idea what your average simmer would spend in 2 years in iR or SRW or RRRE or any others please.

Just a ballpark figure based on what you have or will buy.

rFactor costs me $85 life .......... 2 years Gold is a fair life imo, rest is gravy.

So if a payware sim or commerical modder collects more then 42.50 a year a user ISI needs to change their business model for rF3.

We may as well pay for everything.

Peace and you never hear me utter another word on payware again.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

It doens't take long to spend $500 at iracing. You can easily spend that your first year there. Believe me. ;)

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Reason why my iRacing account went dormant starting next month. I have no problem paying, lets say 12.99 a month for an MMO that I play all day, every day, but that plus all the content for something that I find to be inferior to rF2 is just too much.

19. Domi

Domi Registered

Surely not the tracks.

20. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

back to the original topic :cool:

theres quite a few reasons why ...

if something is released to the public the whinging and moaning if a blade of grass isnt correct is not worth the trouble...leagues just want to race, the scenery doesnt matter so much

with the packaging system it is much easier to look after a controlled environment such as the inner sanctum of a league

with the current bugs it is much easier to look after a controlled environment such as the inner sanctum of a league

the "community" died as a whole years ago... should a league modder care if someone on the other side of the world that will never be apart of there league care if they have a particular track or car

leagues use there "specialty" mods and tracks as ways of enticing new members

and finally getting back to the permissions thing, keeping it in house solves those issues aswell