What happened to the sim racing community with rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

When I look at the multi-player lobby, all the time I see mods and tracks that aren't available to the public. There are great community members who release content to all of us and they are the heart of sim racing- that has remained unchanged. But all too often modders are hoarding content (like that spanish site that has the F1 mod and all the tracks but hoards the content, or other sites such as xfactorracing that have tracks like Mt Panorama and Eastern Creek) and it seems a lot of the best tracks to come out lately have been leaked. Why is it these sites don't share?

Why is this? Why is content not being shared like it used to be? I never remember this in rF1 or Race 07. In RBR I used to see this sometimes and it was a terrible trend I hope died with that sim. The sim racing community is getting more and more fractured- not only because of hoarding but also with the advent of paid mods.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Most of them are illegal conversions! however I'm agree with you!
    The only thing that I envy to iR is the community! they have a great community that is very active and collaborative.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just went there, cant see these tracks for download :confused:

4. johnconner

johnconner Registered

None of them are illegal not matter were they come from they only become illegal when you use them comercialy because of the sponsors on the cars and tracks ect nothing to do with the car or track or were it come from if you wanted to sell me a car with a burger king logo on it you would need to speak to burger king to obtain a licence to use there logo on the car that you are selling.as for our mods to share with others in the community and not for sale then all is good nothing can be called illegal.

The problem with the tracks and cars you refer to is they would need updating for every build and no one seems to keep up with build numbers.

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

"Illegal" is the most misused word around here. Converting something without someones permission is not illegal.

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Maybe a lot of communities are still in the beta/testing stage with the tracks and mods/cars you see, so this is why they aren't readily available for everybody. Mcnolo closed his site down due to his work being shared publicly when he specified he didn't want his tracks sharing on public forums, So now I have a beta version of modern Spa sitting on my hdd without much hope of getting the final version.
    I think in time the tracks we are seeing now and cannot get to drive will be available to all, well I hope thats the case!

7. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

It is illegal to convert and release any car/track from another game. Just ask codemasters how they feel about it.

Its more of a grey area with cars/tracks that were made by modders. The community generally calls those illegal if you do not get permission from the original authors.

8. johnconner

johnconner Registered

Your comment is wrong and very aggressive there is no such thing as an illegal community made mod do you research before jumping on a band wagon dude or your going to frighten all the community away don't do that it will only add to the problem we are hear to have fun not mock others.I found it funny 1 guy got attacked by another for a f12011 mod he told everyone it was code masters converted after bullying ect we find the cars were actually from RFT mod.

9. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I wasn't being aggressive, sorry for misunderstanding ;)

But I stand by what I say. Were you not around when codemasters went on the warpath for people stealing tracks from the toca series? So you think it isnt illegal to rip content from other games. Why do you think Simbins GTR tracks(converted to rF1) couldn't be downloaded from regular mod sites?

When it comes to content made by other modders, I agree illegal isnt the proper word, but I strongly believe it should never be released without the original authors consent. Theres been more than a few good mods that never went public because people steal their works.

10. johnconner

johnconner Registered

Ye for sure that is why I changed my approach give it a few hours and wate to test my new mod it's not finished and I do need help from the community if you want to get involved like converting .psd to .dds for textures or converting some oval tracks ect .I am not good with photoshop it's annoying, but what you will get for a demo is a very powerful burger king toyota NASCAR from the 2012 season and not ripped and I will be uploading the demo sometime tonight hopefully but the rev counter is not on the car yet and a few other bits but is drivable the other 3 cars will follow.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That's an example of the lack of community. He stated that those tracks were personal conversions for him and his friends only. They were never going to see the light of day anyway. Those tracks may be betas, but they are final build quality. But this is only 1 example, there are many others. That spanish F1 site is the worst because they have all these great tracks and don't care about the larger community at all.

Check the MP lobby and see the tracks and mods there that aren't public and there's no way to d/l them from the server. From the beginning it seems that rF2 has had this problem.

12. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Thank you,and look forward to trying it out:D

13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Yeah it was sad getting that email stating the site had closed. Glad I nabbed up a few while it was live.

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You're judging someone because they won't give you a track? LOL. How do you know it's not ripped content? Wow, talk about a sense of entitlement. :rolleyes:

15. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Whatta hell is this now.
    We are in beta and few mod teams have stated that they are not going to release stuff till certain things are brought in so that they dont have to update their mod for every build.
    Modding community isnt being good to us? I beg to differ.

Bahrain v0.80
    Black Hole Ring v1.20
    Botniaring v0.6
    Brianza1966 v1.0
    British GP v0.89
    Canberra 400 v1.0
    Canyelles54 v1.01
    Carolina Motorsports Park v0.2
    Croft v0.91
    Deuna City Circuit v1.04
    Dunsfold v0.90
    Dunsfold v0.90b
    Essington Park v1.03
    Fuji 2012 v1.02
    Hockenheim v0.77
    Hockenheim 1960 v0.85
    HP Topeka v1.01
    Indianapolis v0.1
    Istanbul Park v0.75
    Jarama 1979 v0.8
    Kyalami 1975 v0.8
    Lienz v0.90
    Long Beach 2011 v0.9
    Lutzland Circuit v1.01
    Melbourne v0.55
    Mid Ohio v1.91
    Montreal 2008 v1.6
    Montreal DRS v1.0
    Monza v1.1
    Motor Sport Ranch v0.92
    Mountain Forest v0.5
    Nordschleife 1975 v0.86
    Oran Park v1.1
    Orchard Lake v1.02
    Pembrey v1.0
    Pocoyo Park v1.05
    Pukekohe Park v0.5
    Putnam Park v0.91
    Salem Valley v1.10
    Searspoint RW v1.35
    Sebring v1.90
    Silverstone 1970 v0.2
    Silverstone DRS v1.0
    Snetterton 300 v0.71
    Spa-Francorchamps 2011 v0.86
    Toban v0.78
    Toronto 2007 v0.9
    Watkins Glen v0.2
    Watkins Glen 1970 v0.8

Tracks that without them we wouldnt have, and theres more coming in almost everyday. Cars arent as abundant, but it is totally understandable, and yet there is so many great modder made cars out there.
    If some spanish F1 league desides to keep their work for them selves, I'm not loosing my sleep over it, what ever they have done will be done by someone else, or their work will be released eventually anyways.
    We are going to be swimming in mods after gold hits, and you are going to be using more time downloading them than driving.

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Please read my entire post. It was not about those good positive community members who contribute so much. This is about those who refuse to share the work they do.

17. johnconner

johnconner Registered

Anyone got a working oval I need it for NASCAR.

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Indianapolis and pembrey comes to mind.

19. johnconner

johnconner Registered

Do you not think some people say they have things and make us wait for years showing us pictures ect just to gain a bit of attention seeking with no intention of giving us anything I see a few like this what is the point.

20. johnconner

johnconner Registered

Any or you will get the track from dev mode and drive in 3rd gear only.