Weather included in beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manuel Selg, Dec 26, 2011.

1. blaknift

blaknift Registered

Well yeah, But a hot track will have the same effect on grip as a track thats too cold wont it? I thought that the hotter the track the more the oils and debris got lifted out of the ashphalt and onto the surface?

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No need to complicate mate, the point is: COLDER track = LESS grip cause we are supposed to be talking about normal track temperatures here.

3. blaknift

blaknift Registered

Alright, I thought there was a too cold and too hot, So I figured that the shadows could help in places. and from what i read in auto sim sport, You can tell the diferences in the track while driving through shaded areas.

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

GREAT!! :cool:

P.S. - Just wondering why nobody tried the beta with rain or no screenshots or recent videos with it. Kind of... strange? Seems that they're afraid of something... :confused:

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yes. Tim had mentioned this quite a few months ago as well.

6. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

What I would like to know, is if rain will:

A) Make the track green (not literally, you guys know what I mean)
    B) Make the rubbered in line extremely slippy
    C) If it will rain on one half of track, but not other. Last game that did this was GP4!

Regards.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

There will be an optimal temperature of a track surface for a tire. Colder track does not mean less grip. If anything a colder track would mean more grip.

8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I think you'll only know that after the release with your own eyes and hands :)

9. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Unfortunately this is a topic that depends on far too many factors for just one statement.

In reality, when I'm racing I will set much faster laps on a dry, 30 degree celcius day, then I will on a 12c day. However, perhaps in places like Sepang and Bahrain, track temperatures can reach levels that induce overheating of the tyres.

However, seeing as a tyres optimal temperature is normally from about 80-100c, whether the track is 30c or 50c, or even 12c, adjusting driving style, setups, and tyre pressures can all help to manage tyre temps.

The main thing with a hotter track, is that the rubber already laid down on the grove will be stickier and more grippy, which makes the track faster, so from that point of view, on a track ripe with F1 rubber, any track temp up to about 90c, would be beneficial on grip.

But as I said, there are so, so, so many different factors in it, that no matter how many different scenarios we cover, it will always be different.

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

We are not talking about extremes right? Imagine that the optimal track temp is about 25ºC. Between normal values a hotter track about 30ºC will have more grip than a 20ºC if you know what i mean. An extremely hot or cold track of course will have less grip.

11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I subscribe that :)

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Excluding extremes yes. If we use your numbers of 25 as optimal I would still say a 20C track would have more grip than a 30C track. As far as I know anyways.

13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No, as richiespeed13 said: "The main thing with a hotter track, is that the rubber already laid down on the grove will be stickier and more grippy, which makes the track faster"

14. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I'm not sure if you are refering to a specific car or track mate, but in my experience, a boiling hot, sunny, 35c day would produce moderately faster times than a 25c day.

The hotter days make it harder to drive for the driver in the cockpit (heat is hard work!), makes the cars overheat (engines need cool air lol), and even the tyres, but in terms of raw speed, there is more grip.

:)

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Of course mate. As far as i know from some karting experience the hotter days are much better to set faster laptimes.

16. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Also, try and imagine a tyre.

Do you remember ever picking up a tyre that has been in your cold garage for a while? How the rubber is very hard and smooth and unflexible.

Now compare that feeling to a nice, warm, sticky tyre. It is flexible and grippy, and you can peel the marbles off it.
    It's the flex, and stickiness, that makes it grip so well.

Once you start really overheating the tyres, normally due to poor driving style, poor setup, or terribly high tyre pressures, that's when you lose grip because of too much heat.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yes almost all of the racing I watch is NASCAR so I'm basically referring to that. Different series will run on an oval during the coarse of a weekend so the rubber laid down on the track could be from a different manufacturer than what the current cars have. I know from watching NASCAR they always say a cooler track is faster but of course cooler is a relative term.

18. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

And yep, me too! I also remember on a lovely hot day, some idiot, (yours truly), forgot to check the rad, and there had been a slight leak and it had lost 75% of the water.

I remember the sound it made as it ceased up at 70mph, that rotax cost me a lot of money. But I will never make such a noob mistake again... xD

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Tha's because tyre compounds used in those series are totally different than what is used in track racing (I mean, non-oval tracks) in GT/touring/OW series.

Dave Kaemmer were talking a lot about that. Those stock car tyres are overheating by design, that's why in this case - cooler track will always be better (as opposite to other racing series, where in general higher track temps are better)

20. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

lol... you noob ;)