Weather included in beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manuel Selg, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Forget that mate, NASCAR is no example to nothing in motorsports :p

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

lol.

3. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Like said, if it gets hotter, the rubber will be stickier, thus more grip, but also more friction. Maybe when it is hotter, cars will mainly have a disadvantage of being slower on straights (because of friction), more then the advantage of being able to go quicker through the corners because of more grip.

Besides, I work at an indoor kart track, and the quickest lap times here are usually driven in the winter. We experience that there is less grip, especially the first few laps when the tyres are also cold, but the engine performance increases. We really notice that the acceleration increases compared to summer.

4. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I would probably nail that down to the fact that hire karts, 4 strokes in particular, are super, super sensetive to smoothness. You might make 1 tenth up by taking a corner well, but you will make 5 tenths up by getting a good exit onto the next straight, primarilly because 4 strokes are so slow at accelerating.

At an indoor track, I can't see how the track temp would get affected too much anyway, but if the track was especially hot, there could be too much grip and the karts engines are getting bogged down on corner exit.

Faster times on a cooler track is not something I would ever expect to see in general.

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

The hotter the track in oval racing the slicker it is. Like LesiU says it's because of the different compounds. The track is slower when it's too hot because they have less grip in the turns. There are MANY variables though but generally speaking a cooler track in NASCAR is going to be faster. Road racing and oval are apples and oranges! :D

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

And lets not forget that cooler air has a higher density, and hence more oxygen, giving more power.

It's all a huge jumble where everything affects everything.

EDIT: And since people are talking about the difference the different tyre compounds make, hopefully there will be a way to simulate that in rF2.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Same thing at both extremes. I was giving an example. ;) On a hot track and a very cold track the rubber cannot work as well as inbetween those extremes.

8. 88mphTim

Depends on the extremes. There's a reason why there's never winter testing in the upper states in the U.S.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Well there is Baudette MN. :p I live 150 KMs north and Americans think Baudette is cold!! lol. There is testing in nothern U.S just not race car testing. lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  10. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Your certainly not an example to grammar with your double negative there :p

11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Of course not mate, i'm Portuguese!! How do you expect me to write English? Like a pro? What matters is that you understand and... after all it wasn't that bad right? ;)

12. 88mphTim

It was excellent. ;)

13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Lol, thanks Tim :D

14. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

There's a lot of misinformation in some opinions expressed. I'm an engineer with previous experience in motor-racing and tyres in particular. I'm not talking about simulators but real-life.

The example of optimum 25C track temp and saying that 20C (colder relatively) to 30C (hotter relatively) will have more grip is incorrect. There are thousands of variables to be considered and such a generalisation is not only wrong, but has no logical basis behind it.

There is an optimal track temperature window for a particular 'configuration' - the configuration is dependant on things like circuit, tarmac-type, 'environment' (ambient temp, humidity, etc), tyre compound, car set-up, and thousands of other variables of which driving style is a very important one.

Outside of the optimal track temperature window there is inherent less grip which generally increases the greater the temperature difference from the optimal in a non-linear relationship.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

@Playlife

Yep. I think most of us were generalizing for the fun of it. ;)

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Rather for the sake of discussion, I think :)

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

The best recent high profile real-life example of a driver/car suffering from non-optimal tyre temperature was probably Jenson Button in 2009 in some races in the back half of the season. From being totally dominant to left floundering quite a bit off the pace, even to his team-mate in an identical car.

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yes you're right Mr. Engineer and i know what you mean, but supposing we're talking about same circuit, tarmac-type, temp and humidity, tyre compound, car setup and THE SAME DRIVING STYLE, with 30ºC he will have more grip than with 20ºC for sure, it can be just 0.00.100 per lap but it makes difference.

19. 88mphTim

It completely depends on the series and tire. But EITHER extreme (hot OR cold) will REDUCE grip if outside the optimal performance band of the tires, no matter what setup adjustments are made, tire blankets, anything. You cannot compete in an extreme weather condition. :) PLAYLIFE's last paragraph said it perfectly.

20. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I wasn't talking in extremes, just a 5ºC range. A slightly hot track will create more grip, rubber, etcª than a colder track.