United Sim Racers - Season 1 - sign up thread

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by TIG_green, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Consider that you, in race, can reach speeds up to 330-340 km/h when slipstreaming, your final gear needs to be long enough for that.
    Btw, for better cooling you can increase the "Radiator". I think it's set to 1 as default, and I keep it that way. No need to change it for a track like this, so I'm quite sure the reason is over-revving in your case.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Thanks guys. :)

3. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

guess i need to do some laps...heading for the USR server

4. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

I think the problem with the overheating is that the Ambient and track temp is 113f. I was unable to use any combination of radiatior or gear that would not induce overheating on the long straights. I was using really tall gearing and only pulling 6400rpm at @200mph.

Also there is no rubber file loaded. If the sever cannot add a light rubber preset,I suggest we can change the opponent difficulty and aggression now set in the server to Max, and only allow the 4th model of the G6. This sever option works well at most tracks (AI Dif @ 120%,AI agression @ 100%) and especially here will let people add AI on the server to practice drafting and close racing that is needed here. Also if there is no rubber you can just add 5 or 10 AI to practice with and they will lay decent rubber pretty quick. With the current settings(slow AI and multiple models) its impractical to do the because they are to slow.

The sever needs to be setup for race conditions as early as possible to include everything as it will be the day of the event esp time of day, air and track temp, and a consistent rubber base profile to work with otherwise the speeds will induce issues. If we set the sever and people get enough laps in there this will help on raceday.

5. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

Ok...I did 7 laps in single player with the track temps at 84f (default weather) and had no issues. Also "light rubber" was almost not visible, maybe Hedlund has on built already we can load on the sever.

I did the last 3 laps in low 2:16 with still kinda greenish track and no setup changes. Seems like getting the power down exiting the slow corners will be more important than top speed.

6. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

Im usually more on top of these things, but ive been under the weather for a week :(

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Was just about to write you but I see you already know what to do :)

There are always a human factor in these things. Hope it gets positive again now :) If you sometimes need help with these things then just let me know.

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok958kv59enmz81/USR BRIANZA 3.rrbin

There you have the rubber from our Wednesday's practice session. It was not many cars on the track at the same time, but I saved the realroad after the session I think most rubber had been layed down.
    Then I loaded it up in singleplayer and drove a race distance of 25 minutes alone today, driving alternate lines and doing some lock ups on the inside of braking zones. So I think it's enough.

It would be nice to have this uploaded to the server. I'll probably be there tonight, or tomorrow, to practice :)

9. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

Thanks guys! I will be around for practice today too between 19 and 20GMT. Thanks for making a "human" rubber file Hedlund! See you guys on track!

10. fischkopf

fischkopf Registered

Which version do you drive? MKIIIB 69?

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yes :)

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Hurt my left hand wrist yesterday :p Hurts turning left (have to let go of the wheel with my left hand) but luckily we don't have any left hand corners today :D huh :)

Really looking foward to today's event :)

Edit: forgot that there is two left handers... hopefully I can drive those with one hand :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Hehe :) Hope you're alright and that it doesn't affect your driving and laptimes too much...

Btw, this is the first track where I am uncertain of how many laps it will be. I just did a 25 minutes race, and I passed the start/finish line with ~5-8 seconds when starting my 12th lap... So, a race with no mistakes should be 12 laps. But with maybe one mistake, or too much fighting with an opponent, and it will be only 11 laps ;) But everyone should bring fuel for 12 laps to be safe. The car is very thirsty at this track, just like Spa, high speed with high rpm's all the time. 25 minutes at Mid-Ohio for example, only required ~40L, now we need to double that.

Looking forward to the race tonight. There will be 3 cars starting next to each other, and pole is on the dirty outside, so it's very uncertain who will have the lead into first corner.
    No advantage at all to start from pole. I'd prefer 2nd or even 3rd.. But on this track it really doesn't matter anyway, with plenty of chances for overtaking with slipstreaming.

See you tonight

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

There is room for two cars to go side-by-side through the bankings, but I wouldn't recommend it as it's very risky. I haven't done it with an human opponent with these cars, only with slower cars.
    There are plenty of time to overtake with help from slipstreaming between the bankings and start/finish straight ;)

And a question for Matt:
    When leaving pits in qualify session, many drivers choose cut the track and avoid the bankings on their outlaps. There is a good reason for this because your first lap won't be timed, so driving the bankings can seem to be unnecessary.
    Is this going to be forbidden in official quali session? :)

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Not sure if I understood your question Hedlund. Is there a possibility to skip oval section on your out lap and start your timed lap right after the first half of the track? If yes, then it should be forbidden to do so. But maybe only as a gentleman rule, no punishments given if you accidently skip the other half.

16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

It used to be that if you took the oval section on your first outlap of a session you would start a timed lap straight away, not sure if this is still the case. Outlaps after that the quickest route to a timed lap is to run a full lap taking the sectors in order.

So I guess what Hedlund is asking is can we just cut across from the right side and proceed to sector 1 and only have to do one full lap before a timed lap. Otherwise we'll be running the oval first, then a full lap before a timed lap.

Regardless, one thing people will have to be careful with is staying within the narrow pit out lane and over to the right until they know the track is clear behind them. So as long as people are careful I don't see any issue in people choosing which side to run down on their outlap.

One question I have though is are we allowed to take the low side on the oval banking? If we are, should we stay low until the next straight because of the solid yellow line? No crossing the yellow line at all on entry to the banking or exit from it? This can be used to advantage to complete a pass from slipsteam or get an advantage from someone behind/ahead for a dash to the finish line. Also useful in a dangerous side by side situation coming to the banking, go low and let the other car take the high lane and merge back into their slipstream once they are clear of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Never really paid attention to these things and they aren't in our rules because many tracks don't have these problems. I would recommend that everyone just start by going left and then right...and then repeat, normal thing to do imo.

And of course when exiting the pit be very careful not to obstruct anyone because this is high speed track and the time loss is huge if you have to brake in the middle of a straight.

Taking the lower banking is allowed. You can change back to upper banking if you can do it safely. It's recommended to choose your line when entering a corner and then stay there for the whole corner.

18. fischkopf

fischkopf Registered

Is 121°C Oil temp. too hot? I get it on the long straights

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

If you leave pits, and go straight to the bankings (as you should), you won't have a timed hotlap when you come around to the start/finish line, so that's why most drivers "cheat" and avoid the bankings on outlap. At least that's the case in practice sessions but I'm quite sure it works the same way for quali too. But yeah, I agree it should be forbidden... It's possible to do it in a safe way but not worth the risk anyway.

Yeah I think it's a bit hot, but this car definitely seem to have troubles with oil cooling. CarStats site doesn't have the G6 models, but for the G4 recommended oil temp is max 112°C.
    Only thing I can suggest is that you use a little longer final gear, and maybe shift a little bit earlier. But there should be no problem anyway because this is just a sprint race. My oil temp varying 112-119°C.

20. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Ok, didn't even know this. I have always wen't left on my out lap (not right to the oval section). I will allow going left straight away on out lap.