Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kmw

kmw Registered

ah thank you Banger:
    so it is t0_s0.gmt, t0_s1, t0_s2 etc, up to t0_s16.gmt :)

2. Pascal Boisvert

Pascal Boisvert Registered

Thank you for your tutorial, i just convert my hometrack that I tought I had lost for rFactor.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Deleted video tutorial. No more crappy tracks for the joy of some people

4. Popeye

Popeye Registered

The dropbox link has gone dead with the tools. Any chance someone can share the tools as I'm trying to convert with 3dsimed. Found the original video on another site.

Thanks for any help

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Video up in first post. Tou can download the script in the description.

6. Popeye

Popeye Registered

Much obliged. Thanks for your help with this. Nice tutorial

7. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

Hi Spaskis, I tried to convert a track from rf1 to rf2. I did everything you do in your video, and actually it works but when I try to drive in wet conditions, track seems to have ever the same grip-level (in fact I can drive with soft tyre without any problem). The cars don't raise water (sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand my problem).
    So, what can I do?
    Thanks in advance
    Luca (giovanesaggio)

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You have pretty much sure the road material name incorrectly set. It should be roadxxxx. In the tdf file you can define new materials but I'd recommend to use existing standard names, especially if you are a newcomer

enviado mediante tapatalk

9. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

Thanks for your reply:)

Where can I check that name? Sorry but it's the first time I try to edit a track:)

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Right click on the road surface, select material and the material dialogue menu will appear with the textures used and other features. Material name at tbe top and the name in the list when you select it. Watch carefully the video since material is edited there for real road

11. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

I checked everything I've done, and I think the problem can be connected to:

- https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1546x1254q90/855/q4q5.png
    I've done what you said in your video, but when I open my "_output.scn" file I see something strange (in the red box in the picure). Do you know why I have that extra piece?

- https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1798x1092q90/22/i8xn.png and https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1930x1146q90/842/ztq1.png
    As you can see I have no track object, as you have in the video. I found only the material "road1" and the object "track01" (which I renamed "racesurface_[...]". The object (second picture) includes almost everything (not only the tarmac, but also the grass and the walls). What must I edit?

Sorry for my bad english, and thank you in advance:)

12. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

OK, I finally succed in making realroad:) But I have such a big problem: look at this: in some turns there's this strange effect, in other there isn't. The problem is that the working and the not working turns are under the same material in 3dsimed:( What can I do?

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It looks like you are having problems with the mapping (scaling) of the textures related to real road material. BTW the video is outdated and both 3dsimed and rf2 have changed since then. Now the shader to be used is "real road shader". If you have doubts about it open a recent isi track such as mores and use its secondary textures for racegroove, marbles.... watch out for alpha xhannels on both main and racegroove textures. You might need to rotate racegroove 90 degrees depending on how its done in your track. I haplen to think you have a much better understanding than what you did some days ago. Dont worry about the heading of scn. Think the tutorial is very basic and I had a very basic knowledge atm. Not much more now but at least several things are more clear to me than then. Welcome to modding world. You look patient which is fundamental for this. The beginings are hard and the more you know it gets worse because you become more exigent with yourself. ;)

14. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

Thank you again:)
    Yes, I'm understanding what I'm doing, in fact I was able to change something (textures, light, etc.), but without a real result. I'm still trying and I want to obtain a result:D

To change the shader I must do it in 3dsimed? Using "real road shader" instead of "road shader two diffuse maps"?

Only another small dubt: you said "watch out for alpha xhannels on both main and racegroove textures." What must I do? I must edit the textures with photoshop?

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

My best advice is to compare.
    Shader changed in 3dsimed yes.
    Yes Photoshop is essential for modding. Forget Gimp. Not even close IMO. And get the latest version if you can. It deserves for such simple things as the snapping to borders when transforming textured for advanved material editing. Someone might differ though.

16. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

I'm going to try:)

I would not advantage of your kindness, but how can I open mores? When I try to open one of the mas files it give me the error "unknown mas key", so I can't extract the .scn file:( Is there a way to open it?

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Are you using mas2.exe? I dont remember any encrypted mas file in mores

18. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

Yes, mas2.exe. The mas locked is Mores_MAPs. I've tried loch drummond, and that mas is encrypted too:( What can I try to do?

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Im not home. let me check when I get back but I can open both tracks perfectly

20. giovanesaggio

giovanesaggio Registered

I finally succed in opening MAS files of Mores, but still lots of problems:( Now track doesn't rubber, but it seems I have done exactly what you said me (copy the material from Mores, with the new shader).

In the next few days I'll try another track. I'll keep you updated:)