Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You definitely can use rf1 AIW for both developer mode and single player/online mode. You can also convert it from developer mode AIW editor to rf2 format. i haven't included cornerworkers in my tracks yet so I cannot provide an answer of how to do it. I either cannot make that the fuel people appear when I arrive the pits. However it is not my priority at the moment.

2. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

my problem that do not position the grid, and the pitches of the box, I do not see the white lines that mark the positions of the grid.
    Then I tried now everything works, only that it seems to me that the disconnection of the ground, the machine touches down.
    And the dev machine mod and too low, I have to change something on the parameters of the track?

Video Orchard Lake Part 2

Edit:problem Bump resolved,i have change terrain.tdf,now work very good.

Babs:)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't know how are lines defined in your rf1 original circuit to give you a more accurate answer. For rf1 the typical is that they are drawn in the texture. In rf2 they are usually independent elements placed about 1 mm above the road surface. Since you are converting a circuit from rf1 I must assume we are talking about the first way. One comment about the second one: I have never used objects for defining lines (doesn't look difficult) since I personally think that it is a pain in the butt and I don't like to place one surface so close to another one, since that usually gives visualization problems. The graphic engine needs to decide which one is visible and which not and at far distance it gives shuttering problems. I personally think it is an error from ISI to recommend this procedure. I don't see it compensates and if the coefficient of friction is incorrectly set it can mess up a track. I can bet all official tracks in rf2 are using the same friction parameters for the lines. In reality apart from the paint, what lays below the paint is critical as well due to the rugosity of the track and the paint wear. Probably the measurement of this characteristic has not been rigorously done under all the different conditions that affect its behaviour: track temperature, wet/dry conditions, presence of rubber, tyre temperature, tire load, .... Therefore to do something wrong, don't do it since it takes extra effort.

Returning to your problem. The white lines must be included in the texture of the material defining those road parts. If the don't appear is because the texture being used doesn't have them. AIW has nothing to do with seeing or not sseing white lines. in fact, it only places the red boxes taht mark those positions for formation lap or when entering the pits. I hope this helps you.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Thanks, SPASKIS! Brilliant video-tutorial, it finally got me starting converting my own scratchmade track from Race'07 to rF2...

This thread really should get a "Sticky" :)

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

However to get the RealRoad to work properly when using 3DSimED only, it's important to add all "RaceSurface_" instances as this in the .SCN

ReflectionMapper=REFMAP0
    {
    Type=Cubic
    TextureSize=(512)
    UpdateRate=(100.000)
    StaticSwitch=(100.000)
    TrackingIns=True
    IncludeIns=SkyBoxi
    IncludeIns=RaceSurface_01
    IncludeIns=RaceSurface_02
    IncludeIns=RaceSurface_03
    }

And all environment-instances you want reflected must be added here:

ReflectionMapper=REFLECTEDENV
    {
    Type=Planar
    TextureSize=(1024)
    UpdateRate=(100.000)
    StaticSwitch=(150.000)
    TrackingIns=NULL
    IncludeIns=SkyBoxi
    }

Also it needed to change the all the primary diffuse-textures of the materials to include alpha-layer - otherwise you'll not get the wanted result... Took me quite a few hours of frustration and readup elsewhere to figure out what was bugging me :)

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The problem is that the objects defining the grid are racesurfaces and that is incorrect. Remove that prefix from all objects. The material you have for it is also the one for racesurface objects:"road shader two diffuse maps" which is also incorrect. This object and its material should be corrected to normal decal object/material parameters. The pit stall marks seem to be OK, so you could have it as a reference.

7. ethone

ethone Registered

You certainly can use the grid/pit markings/white lines with a RealRoad material (i.e. using the RealRoad shader and the RaceSurface prefix in the instance name), that way you will get reflections and the racegroove/marbles ON the markings. Using decal objects instead is just another valid approach. I think Luc actually recommended using the RealRoad approach to it.

Both approaches have pros and cons, but there is absolutely nothing correct or incorrect about either of them. Try not to spread misinformation please.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

But in this case Barabba is using decal type objects which require transparency to show correctly. Is it possible to apply a real road material to a decal type object? If posible sorry for my ignorance about it. I never try to spread misinformation, I was trying to help a mate that is stuck in his project and hadn't received a reply that helped him solving his problem yet.

9. ethone

ethone Registered

Do you mean "decal type object" as in "tagged as decal" or as in "object with transparency that overlays another"?
    The former case certainly works. For the latter I'm not sure if you'd actually need transparency, as you'll be drawing the RealRoad effects on top of that mesh there is no need for transparency to have the underlying texture shine through. Not using transparency would be more 'realistic' in most cases as well, as your common road markings aren't using some semi-transparent paint but are rather opaque. If you used transparency regardless... I figure RR should still work. But I guess we should probably test this out before confusing people even more. ;)

Personally I use decal objects and make them 75% opaque so that any RealRoad effects will still be somewhat visible through it from the underlying material. Which I think is what you were suggesting to do as well, correct? My point is that there isn't a set way to go about this, the quality of the end product much more depends on how well you go about implementing your choice, rather than on what approach you chose.

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Barabba is using an object with transparency that overlays another. I made a composed picture with object and material windows so that you see the shader and object type.
    View attachment 5326
    I have not used decal type objects in rf2 but I have the intention to do it for Pocoyo Park for the grid, pit entry/exit, sector lines and other paintings I wanted to include along the rack. I will test your recommendation about 75% opacity so that effects of real road can be seen.

As you say I will test different shaders and their effects when the are applied to different element types and tag options. In this particular topic of materials and visual properties I am really a novel and I still don't feel confident with myself. I think Barabba is more or less in the same knowledge status. We should start with the standard procedures to do things rather than investigating new things. From what I understood there are two main ways to do road lines:
    1) Putting an object on the road (I am not sure if I understand the difference between decal type object or taged as decal so I avoid the term decal)
    2) Modelling the lines the same as if it was a road element. I guess these could be prepared with a specific cross section within BTB that included the lines as a different material from the road. Am I right?

Thanks for your help

11. Ash74

Ash74 Registered

I chose the decal way for the track white lines and grid positions on the track i am converting using photoshop with inverse and cut, paste to new layers with opacity 75-90 u will just have to try it to get best result for your track texture.

View attachment 5335

View attachment 5336

12. EraZr1

EraZr1 Registered

Hi Spaskis,

I have a problem with the Gravel, it doesnt have any Grip and when i drive on it, it seems that it is like ice. do you know whats the mistake?

13. ethone

ethone Registered

If any material feels like ice, usually its material is not registered properly in the .tdf.

14. EraZr1

EraZr1 Registered

thx ethone
    Ok, i've found the mistakes,

15. EraZr1

EraZr1 Registered

Hi spaskis,

I have some problems with converting.
    When I make the Real Road like you in your video, there is only a little bit darker track, but not the Racegroover texture.
    Also I will that the track reflects on the car, but there is only the standart reflection of a picture, like in rf1.

View attachment 5544

16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Think your track has too few polys at the racesurface therefore your realroad seems to be not as good as on other tracks.
    And I think there is no more racing groove - its all real road right now.
    For reflecting stuff see post number #45 up in this thread.

17. ethone

ethone Registered

The racing groove does have a texture and depending on how much rubber RealRoad says that piece of road should have, the more visible the groove-texture shows.
    +1 to more polys on the race surface, that looks too low.

18. EraZr1

EraZr1 Registered

And how can I make more polys on the surface?

1 person likes this.
  19. Hazi

Hazi Registered

20. polesitter

polesitter Registered

My rF2 crashes after loading the track in the Developer. Why?