Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

When you copy the material anly some channels actually copy from one to the other. Export textures from the racesurface object into the folder of your track and review one by one all the channels. Each channel has its mapping (u, v coordinates). Scaling or cooying from one channel to another might be helpful. It is difficult to explain writing. It is one of the toughest parts since some channels cannot be identifuwd easily among the composition.

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

how did you manage? I block has the same step

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

boy i'm not getting off to a good start. can't get vbs to run.

[​IMG]

also tried from \rFactor2\ModDev\Locations

what am I doing wrong please?

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think the real problem is that Joesville circuit is missing and that the error message is confusing. You need to have ISI original mod dev install where Joesville is included.

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

makes sense. thanks! :D

6. RJames

RJames Registered

Also my ModDev folder is in my main rfactor2 directory, not data folder, infact I don't even have a data folder.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't think it is relevant where rF2 is installed

8. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK getting closer :)

The video is excellent and I have followed all the steps exactly.

I tried loading the track into Dev mode three times and rF2 crashes every time right when the progress bar is around 85%.

Here are screenshots of the error message and my folders:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, here are some of the key files that may help also.

View attachment 11694 View attachment 11695 View attachment 11696

Additionally, if you want any list of files are anything else just let me know. I am motivated to get this working so want to help you help me as much as possible. :)

Edit - Also FYI I am using 3DSimED 3.0p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Did you paste the original AIW file into the folder where scn, gdb... are located?

My reccomendation:
    It would be much easier to help you if you just packed the component into a rfcmp, install it and try it. Don't worry if it does not work, upload it and I will check.
    Mod dev is not stricitly necessary and its behaviour differs sometimes from actual game so I would not recommend it until you get some more experience.
    Unless you need to modify AIW to improve AI you don't need to mesh with it right now. When you are starting and you don't get the track running, this is at the bottom of your priority list, I know. Later it will become important for you as probably realroad will. For this last reaload item when you convert third party tracks you need to remesh the road surface into smaller elements which needs to be done with 3dsmax.

I would also recommend to open the track with viewer.exe (mod dev folder) and see if it fails loading as well. I guess if it doesn't and it does fail ingame it could be an AIW related issue.

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

yes aiw is in folder with scn and gdb. i also tried deleting it and still wouldn't load. i will try your suggestions and get back with you. thanks again! :)

11. Galaga

Galaga Banned

hold on. i think i found something. stand by...

Edit - OK I tried 6 or 7 tracks and I even tried to find a rF1 version of Lutzland but to no avail (my guess being you never released a rF1 version of the track and created it for rF2 but used BTB so had to convert it to get it into rF2).

Anyway, I was just attempting a process of elimination with the first thing to eliminate being my own error.

The good news is that I was able to get one track to load properly in game (as you said, via packaging and loading in single player ; NOT dev mode) :) Unfortunately, this is not a track I am interested in working on :(

Here is the Bauers Moor package that was crashing during load at about 75% progress:

http://www.filedropper.com/bauersmoor1002

Click on the "Download this File" button. (NOT the "Download" button that will try to install SW on your PC.) Then, enter the numbers displayed and then "Download Now".

Thanks again! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If you don't find the bug I will check it when I get home after work.
    Lutzland indeed was released for rfactor!!!

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If the problem is not the aiw and the load fails at the end, try deleting the last parts of the scn until you find the disturbing gmt

14. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Oh ok that makes sense now I will do that. Thanks. :)

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

After reviewing the track my opinion is that something is wrong with AIW file.

However, I must say that there is something that is really strange to me. I explain:
    This is what happened in dev mode

1. I unpacked the files into mod dev folder.
    2. I open the scn with both 3dsimed and viewer. No problem with that.
    3. I tried to open with dev mode 29 players. Crashed.
    4. Edited the scn and removed the group of stringobjects at the end of the scn. Crash
    5. Edited the scn again and removed groups of objects starting from the end just before xsectors....
    6. It kept crashing until I removed the fourth or so group of objects.
    7. I started restoring removed groups of objects into pieces to try to identify a problematic gmt
    In order to make the loading process faster when I added objects, at certain point of this step I removed oponents so that the last part of the loading was faster.
    8. I ended up restoring all the objects and dev mode would not fail!
    9. I increased opponents in order to check if it was a problem that only occurre with oponents. It loaded fine.
    10. I don't know exactly why but just in case I erased shader and cbash logs. It loaded fine.
    11. I pasted the original scn overwriting the edited one just in case I had changed something. It loaded fine.
    Note: AI gets stuck some meters after leaving his garage spot. Might not happen in all spots, I don't know since I just checked with no opponnents.

After this, I did some tests to check if I could make the rfcmp work offline

1. Edited GMT MAS to remove _output.scn. Repacked rfcmp. It crashed
    2. Repacked the component adding PitCrewMaps from devmode. As I expected nothing to do with that. It crashed.
    3. Previously to overwriting the scn in previous procedure I packed the scn containing file with the one that was loading in dev mode. It crashed
    4. I did some other tests as repacking everything from dev mod folder but still crash.

So this situations is absolutely new and senseless for me. Now I cannot get dev mode fail when it did before until I did something that, even when undone, makes the track load fine now.

ANY CLUE?

16. Galaga

Galaga Banned

thanks for looking at it, spaskis. even just knowing what you are trying is helping me become more familiar with the overall process and ideas for things i can test with process of elimination. very weird what you are seeing. i will play with it some more and if i find anything else i will let you know. thanks again for all the help and advice! :)

17. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

Well ,maybe help.. notice the point on the first path on top scn. i have some problem some time a go because i try ti open on devmode without these point.

SearchPath=.
    SearchPath=Malaysia
    SearchPath=Malaysia\Malaysian_GP
    SearchPath=Malaysia\Assets\New_GMTs
    SearchPath=Malaysia\Assets\Maps
    SearchPath=Malaysia\Assets\Anims
    SearchPath=Malaysia\Assets\SponsorMaps

18. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

SPASKIS, i convert some tracks from rf1, when add real road shader the track goes dark, i put the correct maps, correct names, i must change something in .scn?

edit: i must say they work perfect ingame without RR, but just when add RR shader it goes dark.

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Track objects need to be called racesurface. They should only use real road shader materials. You should copy all the channels from an exiting realroad working material that you like. In the scn the object needs to be tagged as deformable.
    A picture of what you see in 3dsimed with material characteristics would be nice.

Think for a moment that what you think that might be correct could be wrong. It is not the first time that I read something like "I am doing everything like you in the tutorial but doesn't work". Empathize with whom you are asking and try to provide as much relevant info as possible. Saying that textures and names are correct doesn't give me any info about what you are doing that helps me solving your issue.

20. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I understand the need to provide more info as you say but smart people like you need just a few words to understand, indeed, i rename the objects to "racesurface_xx" and in .scn and it works!

Many thanks!