Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Although in the video it says RealRoad would go on a differente tutorial, I made it to put everything in the same video. There is a link in the description to download a zip with required files (converttrack.vbs especially) I hope it helps.

Edited 2016 July 10: I have included three other tutorials that I think can be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
    ling, pascom, Corti and 5 others like this.
  2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Although I appreciate the effort, I think it would be beneficial for the community if there were more purpose built tracks instead of old (re)conversions. (like croft for exampe)

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Surely you're not serious...3DSimed has been the starting point for so many modders over the last 5 years that have since moved on to making scratch made mods and tracks that has benifited the community alot more than old (re)conversions that you dont have to play/download

well done Spaskis on a great tutorial that im sure will help alot of people get started in modding

ling likes this.
  4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Ones and zeros, bring me all there is!

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That's great and I hope this will happen more and more :)

Actually, two tracks are in the works. One has been sort of announced, other is private for now.
    [/practisewhatyoupreach]

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

For some reason I get server not found error when attempting to download required files for the tutorial from http://adf.ly/EYgfJ

7. DA

DA Registered

Heh. Thank you for good tutorial! :)

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It was my ISP, has blocked adf.ly completely, for your protection, so anonymous proxy did solve that, "never visit internet without one" :)

Tutorial is great, with help of vbs file and tutorial I got my BTB + GPS created track into rF2 in few minutes, I had to check few times but yes, nothing more needed to be done, it was really quick.

Now I can then attempt to apply real road and slowly perhaps get track improved.

Also need to buy 3dsimed, first need to find funds, but great part is that I could test with demo version of 3dsimed and now my BTB license is not going to be wasted as I can do tracks from my GPS data again, very happy :)

9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Great tutorial, like above didn't take long to have my track in rf2 and agreed that the BTB licence can still be used with rf2.

I do have a problem though which I hope someone might be able to help me with. I have 1 building and all trees and tree walls not showing in game but i see them in 3dsimed. I have tried changing shaders and textures and managed to get them in game but silly me did some changes to the track and didn't b/up before saving (thinking if they work now they should work after saving) and lost them again. I now can't get them back in game and all settings are set the same. Any ideas welcomed

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess gmt's of the objects you erased from the layout .scn file are still in the folder. Import them and paste them back again. You will distinguish these gmt if you export because they will have older modification date.

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

gmts are in gmt folder and in the scn file. I can load the scn into 3dsimed and see the objects. I can see them in the mirrors in game but cant see them on the side of the track.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  12. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

This is a message traduit with google

hello, spakish

Already a big thank you for this video makes me put a little foot in the world of modding ^ ^
    I was yours and say that I am French and I converted my message with google translation ... desoler

I followed your little tutorial to the letter, and I am having dificulties 5 minutes 50 seconds.
    I have the circuit loads, but no answers rfactor2'' plus "sticker on the top right where I should be viewing the car in the pits is black. there is nothing ...

This is my message original in french:
    bonjour, spaskis

Deja un grand merci pour cette video qui me fait mettre un petit pied dans le monde du modding ^^
    et je tien a dire que je suis français et j'ai converti mon message avec google traduction... desoler

J'ai suivi ton petit tuto à la lettre , et je rencontre des dificultés à 5 minutes 50 secondes.
    j'ai le circuit qui se charge, mais rfactor2 ''ne repond plus" la vignette en haut a droite où je devrais y visualisé la voiture dans les stands est toute noire. il n'y a rien...

13. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

SPASKIS est tu la?

14. Banger

Banger Registered

great tutorial spaskis, i did written on your youtube about the wet file creator, sorry if i confused you about it.

your tutorial was great to started with .but maybe write a pdf file tutorial. has i added info to youtube for yah.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Sorry, I haven't read the posts until now. I will answer the questions when I get home.

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

This is quite strange. A couple of clarifications first... The scn file valid for rfactor is the one that has the name of the track. 3dsimed generates a _output.scn file. I mention it just in case, because you can open the scenario with 3dsimed from both scn files. I advise not to include the _output.scn in the GMT MAS file since it generates a "Needs a Venue Icon" location (it happened in the Lutzland 1.00 btw). Since this problem you mention has not happened to me I cannot give you an exact response. However I wouls suggest to review the scn file and see what modifiers are applied after the path of the gmt file. For example, when something is unseen in the rearview mirrors, it appears something like "visgroups 32" (can't remember the exact format). if you see something strange remove it but be very careful with the format. Spaces and tabulations incorrectly set can cause the circuit not loading! If you don't see anything strange, then the problem is in the gmt file itself. Check the objects and materials in 3dsimed and look for something odd, specially in the visibility menu and the type of textures. And one suggestion. For the next time try to be more specific and provide some pictures and more info. Don't expect miracles when you spend 1 minute redacting one question. I usually would not answer such a question.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am sorry but I cannot figure out what your problem is. Could you provide some pictures or something more specific? What I understand is that you are not able to load the track properly in dev mode (is what happens in the moment of the video you refer). This could happen for many reasons I guess. Does it show any error message? (activate windowed mode to better see the message in case it appears). I would suggest to review the steps carefully. I can tell you that I repeated the process lots of times and it works. If rfactor crashes there certainly is something wrong. Can you upload the zipped track folder from your devmode/locations folder so that I can review it?

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am sorry but I will not do any written tutorial about this. I cannot figure out anything written that can be better explained than in a video. I accept that some things could have been better or more carefully explained, but I guarantee you that if I had written a pdf tutorial instead of a video, no one would have been able to convert a track with it. This thread is intended to clarify all those dobts that arise within the user. I keep the original video project and I may update it or complement it in the future when enough new content justifies it.

I tried to download the wet builder tool, but the links were down. I posted asking for new links. I will review this item since I am interested in learning as much as I can for the new project I am working on, "Pocoyo Park". Thanks for the info.

I don't understand what do you intend with the paragraph extracted from the scn file. I see that you show the lines from the scn regarding the horizon and a road element. In the video I already explain how to modify the racesurface elements (minute 12 in the video). For the horizon I see you change the parameters: moveable and reflect plane. What are they for? I haven't detected anything wrong with the background. I have checked the scn from brianza and "moveable" does not appear in the modifiers. The reflect plane for brianza is set to be horizontal (0,-1,0) and the last parameter don't know what it is for. I guess that setting all the values to 0 does not make much sense ¿?

19. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

hello spaskis I see that at the beginning of the video, you launch an application in Vbs, to create the folder directly from the Dev Mode, that program be?
    Or that tools be, I do not how to find this vbs.
    The rest is clear and I did, however, gives me errors when loading the track in Dev Mode.
    I think that if I miss the first step in the conversion does not work well.
    Thanks for your help.

Babs;)

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

1 person likes this.