Triple monitor vs large HDTV setups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dsuspense, Jan 22, 2013.

1. coops

coops Banned

triple screen bigger the better. no looking back since i have gone to triples and i had 50" lcd tv b4 that.

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It will always look distorted unless you are the person driving :)

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

If you want a total immersione you have to:
    1-the steering wheel should be not distant from the central monitor! my G27 is 5cm from the central monitor!
    2- your eyes should be at the same hight of the center of the central monitor
    4-your nose/head should be within the range of the two lateral monitors ( almost inside the virtual line the connect the 2 extremity of the 2 lateral screens).
    For me this cockpit is wrong
    [​IMG]
    This is ok:
    [​IMG]

Perfect:
    [​IMG]

No:
    [​IMG]

4. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

On my side , i´ve put a triple screen 6 months ago . Before i have a single 40 inches samsung LCD TV 59hz . Today i have 3x27 inches iiYAMA E2773 HD-S PROLITE.

+: Yes a triple screen change your "vison" in game ,If you can do it, go on!!

-: Before to make my choice , i was more convence by 3x32" LED TV 100HZ, but some "experts" in simracing told me that a monitor PC will be better than a TV, regarding the time response (ms) . Today i´m not sure about that .
    I don´t see that the quality is better on a monitor . I think it will be better on a LED TV

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i wonder how much energy all you guys consume with your setups :D Running three powerfull graphics cards and three projectors...oh boy :p
    One question: i never tested a tripple screen setup, but don't the borders of the monitors kill all the immersion?

6. otirc

otirc Registered

I started with a 40'' TV then changed to 3-screen.
    My advice is: be carefull, after trying 3-screen it is not possible to turn back!

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

After few minutes you don't see them anymore :)

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Pretty this!

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

same as above, I really didnt like the bezel part of the triple monitors at first but then you just forget there there and it becomes the norm. If someone took my triples screens away now I probably wouldnt bother sim racin or gaming for that matter altogether, infact it was triple screens that have now inspired me to make a proper decent rig. I even use a trackir5 pro with my triples its just awesome.
    Eyefinity first came out it was a got to try, tried it, got to have it. Now I'm on nVidia surround 680gtx 2gb but I recomend 4 gb if you go triples. The wonderful 5870 started it all for me.
    Damn soundin like a salesman now.

1 thing about the bezels imagine this, how many times do you get in your car and go I hate that windshield/door piller? Probably only the first time you get in a new car and its in a different place, also the car in the game has the piller there too if you drive cockpit. Really it will not bother you after a few times at most.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Triple monitors do chew up a bit more power as do the extra graphic cards without a doubt. Is it worth it? Yes!

As to the bezels, there are monitors out there that have thin bezels, and some that can be taken apart and still hold together that will have almost no bezel. As others have said, after a few laps you won't even notice them anymore, unless your screens are such that the HUD elements are sitting square in the middle of your bezel correction, then you will notice it all the time. To avoid this, you can use projectors which will have 0 bezel and on a decent screen will still look pretty darn impressive. The downside to that approach is cost. If you wish to run 3 HD projectors, you are looking in the neighborhood of around $6k for the set. Not a small price for almost every sim racers wallet.

11. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Started on a 60" tv...pretty funky, then invested in triples, no contest. Triples for me, no going back. :)

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Tripple vs. Big is like comparing 16:9 to 4:3 - Tripple FTW! :D

Just upgraded my 3x27" setup with a ASUS 7970HD MATRIX, capable of 25-40FPS in rF2 with everything ON (depending on TOD and amount of cars in view) - But not FULL all the way, that would demand CrossFire I think :eek:

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

This hobby is gonna be the death of me. I need to upgrade my motherboard/processor/memory, get another gfx card and 3x27" monitors before I'm done.

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Might need more than that before you are done ;)

15. Novis

Novis Registered

I also run a big screen (40") but it's nowhere ideal. With single gfx-cards now supporting tripple-screens without expensive addons (and maybe having the performance to drive them) I hopefully end up down that road also.

I liked this one!
    And this even though it's a single screen setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  16. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

They're A pillars, dude!

There is no "done". :D

17. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Done for the moment I suppose then, I would be content. :)
    After I tested rF2, I got myself a T500rs and TH8 rs, new chair, gtx 660 oc and a G25 shifter to play the role of handbrake/buttonbox to improve my sim experience.
    Well... that kinda worked, TH8rs isnt working and thrustmaster is sending me a new main PCB for it. My wheel wiggles vertically and I cant tighten or change the screws for longer ones, that might fix the issue, cause this version they seem to be glued on. G25 works as much as it needs to for a handbrake but since it was a second hand device and "free" I cant ask much more from it.
    Atleast my gfx card is working as intented... atm. knock on wood.

So no I'm not done even with the things I own. Next step deffinetly is to improve my pc innards so I can use 3 screens and I will not settle for anything less than I already have, 100+fps and near full details.

18. polepositiondriver

polepositiondriver Registered

Yeah I feel the same way about them. I don't even notice the screen lines anymore. Especially in a game that has a lot going on (like a Nascar where there are cords and nets hanging from everywhere lol)

19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

At first when you setup your tripplescreen you just wan't it to look perfect - but when you actually get to the racing, you don't notice the bezels, promise! Getting to look at you opponents while racing side-by-side is SO much worth it :cool:

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I can't take tvs for simracing seriously, the input lag is horrendous, even in game modes. I'm talking 30-90 ms!!!! With tvs, what you are seeing is the past, it's a delay, it's already happened by the time you see it. I know some people get used to this input lag, or can't feel it, but regardless if you can feel it or not, the simple matter of the fact is you are always behind with your game's image and therefore your control inputs relative to what is actually happening in game.

When I am on the edge of grip searching for half a tenth in a corner, or when I am soooo close, but not yet at the point of completely loosing the rear, any input lag from my control of the car is just giving you less and less control of the vehicle, regardless of wether you can't feel it or have gotten used to it or whatever, it doesn't matter.