The Rig I Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I just got done spending my money on a new, and Im pretty sure the best sim racing experience that I have ever had at the comfort of my own home.

I ordered t500rs (417e with delivery) to replace my current Logitech driving force GT, and my friend is bringing me when he gets off from work for the holidays, g25 shifter (free).
    Also ordered the g25/27 shifter usb adapter (30e with delivery) which is necessary to use it without the logitech wheels and today Im off to checkout a new seat (~100e) since my office chair has seen way too many asses and has kicked the bucket.

Price wise, if all goes as planned, knock on wood, crossfingers, rub the rabbit foot, and all the other superstitious rituals you can think of, I think I got all this at decent price and should get the merchandise at the end of next week.
    I seriously have ants in my pants and I cant wait to get all that setup and fireup rF2, eeek! :p

Anyways... I figured Id make a post about what do we use, and share experiences about different sim rigs out there, since its a topic that I went after when trying to findout where to put my money into and kinda was missing that user experience about a game that I know is absolutely the bees knees and how it feels with my gadgets.
    Theres fanatec, logitech, thrustmaster etc... just to scratch the surface and I know it would be also helpful for others who are thinking of investing into new controllers how they work in particular with rF2 and I think this would be a nice thing to talk about.

Heres a store that I found in my search for the usb adapter, that is all about sim bells and whistles. I dont have previous experience of dealing with them till I get my order, but maybe someone else has who could share.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

EDIT: Pitures and videos are always a nice add. :)
    I'll give my review and experiences about DFGT and t500rs later concerning rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I have had a number of products from Leo bodnar and have no complaints about his products or customer service, I took 2 buo836 joystick boards for a project and have the shifter adapter for g25. I believe he is behind the SLI shiftlight range and if you google his ffb wheel, awesome ;) I think he's based actually at Silverstone now so maybe he's doing something with sims for pro race drivers ??

1 person likes this.
  3. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Those front wheels would mock you as your driving. As in your driving fast in your sim yet the front wheels are not moving. I would like it minus the parts behind the monitor.

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Thanks Steve. I deffinetly noticed the quality work from the pictures, nice to know that its not only skin deep, Im sure theres more than I can think of to order from Leo.

5. Bill Paradise

Bill Paradise Registered

My awesome (at least to me) rig.

Thermaltake armour+ 800 case.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard.
    i5-2500K CPU (overclocked at 4.6 ghz).
    8 gigs Corsair Vengeance memory (1600 mhz).
    Corsair H70 water cooler.
    EVGA GTX560 video card (2 GB).
    2 1TB WD Black Caviar hard drives (RAID 0).
    Ultra LSP 750 watt PS.
    Nothing special HP blue ray drive.
    23" Acer monitor (1920*1080).
    Decent Logitech speakers.

Logitech G27.
    Wheel stand pro.

Cheap chair which needs replacing.

I'm happy with my rig.

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I was actually contemplating between upgrading my gfx card from gtx460 into gtx660 ti or getting a new wheel.
    I know the GPU upgrade would have been cheaper but I desided since for me the feel of the drive is much more important than the looks of it, and I can run with decent fps and graphics rF2 as it is, that Im going to focus on the controller.
    I must say it wasnt an easy decision tho, I could have gotten g27 and a GPU but in the end I really wanted to get the best possible beltdriven wheel I can affort.
    I wouldnt mind having your pc and next for me it is deffinetly getting my whole pc updated starting from GPU, but that has to wait for more cash to come in. :rolleyes:

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Ray Bernard's Road Rage Sim Rig. Simple idea. Big impact.

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Thats really nice. Unfortunatly most of us dont have the space or knowhow to build something like that, but try to get there as accuratly as possible within our means.
    The pedals there are the diamond in my opinnion, as far as I can tell, realistic pedals are hard and expensive to come by.
    I play with 42" lcd glued to my face aswell and so far with one screen 16:9 solutions that has been the best that I have come up with. Its not necessarily the easiest to use at the beginning since the feel of speed changes quite dramaticly from regular monitor sizes. I'd like to try 21:9 tv but obviously 3 screen system or equalent is the goal.

9. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Golanv, I'm on your side! :)

I also want to upgrade my video card, from Radeon HD5770 to nVidia GTX660/70.

I'm using HWcompare.com to help me see and understand the difference between nVidia GTX family, such as this http://www.hwcompare.com/12518/geforce-gtx-590-vs-geforce-gtx-670/

The result of that comparison is GTX590 is still superior than GTX670, even though GTX590 was released over a year ago (March 2011). Maybe it's due to its dual GPU core architecture. But GTX590 also drawn 300+ watt of power!

Well, I'm rambling here ;)

Back to topic, I think Ray's rig is a perfect example of how simple it is, and yet able to produce better pedal feel to the player. I really love his idea, too bad creating that same rig is beyond my capability and, just like you said, I don't have a spare room in my house.

10. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Heres the rig i made a couple months bck, paid £25 for 4 lengths of 2x4 and a new saw, i already had the screws left over from a job and also used my old beaten up office chair, hoping to pick up a bucket seat at some point
    View attachment 5057 View attachment 5058

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

That guys shifter is so simple.. DAMN IT.. I HATE HIM.. I want that now.

12. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Great solution and i'm all for building on a budget, If you go for a bucket seat, think about how comfy it is after a 2 hour race, the ones that recline are the best imo. Or get down the breakers yard like I did and choose a nice car seat for peanuts.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Interesting, according to that page and local web store, I found out that there are no any card that would offer clearly better performance than my card to price level what I did pay from my card years ago, so seems to be that at budget class there has been no real improvement :eek:

14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

My RIG' is very very big:
    [​IMG]

1-3 monitors Asus VE248(fullhd led).
    2-Aluminum Diamond Plates(2m*2m).
    3-6m profile L(aluminum).
    4-DSD Pro-shifter
    5-DSD GT1 Button Box.
    6-APeletrix G27 brake modification
    7-2m car muquette(black).
    6-wood panels
    7-GI Max Gear Indicator
    8-aluminum panels.
    9-OMP race car seat(FIA-GT licensed).
    10-Metal Grey Carbon Fibre Vinyl
    11-2 Buttkicker game 2
    12-SPI-D Digital Speedometer
    http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=259490

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  15. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I drive this kind of rig at the moment...
    View attachment 5060

Though I dont own it, but it's in my personal use... :cool:

Cheers!

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Very nice site for a quick comparison, Ill deffinetly be using that, thanks.
    How good gtx580 and 590 are is surprising, the power usage says alot but thats quite interesting.
    Holy simulator batman, the rigs some of you people have, Im jealous beyond belief.

17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Awesome! Is that rig equipped with tactile transducer (bass shaker / buttkicker) as well?

18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Here's my rig:

View attachment 5062

And here it is in action in iRacing.

Specs: i7 950@4GHz; 2 x nVidia 680 GTX SLI; 3 x Iiyama 24" monitors running at 5760 x 1080; 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM; 60GB SSD; Antec 750W SLI PSU; Win7 Home Premium 64 bit; G27 wheel with Leo Bodnar SLI-Pro & Sim Racing Hardware plate; Fanatec Club Sport Pedals; FREXGP Sequential Shift+; Corbeau Revenge GT1 seat; Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II speakers; GoPro HD2 Helmetcam; Motorola Xoom Android Tablet; Lots of BluTack

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Niiice rig C3PO... :cool:

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Some awesome rigs i'm surprised no "show us your rig" thread is already up, if it is i missed it.
    Kind of embarrassed to show mine but here you go :)

View attachment 5065

Only joking this is mine