Texas World Speedway - 1.00 Release

Discussion in 'Locations' started by PlickBadger, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

You just have to take note of which track layout it is when you choose it, particularly the distance number--- that will match the RealRoad file name for each.

Plick, I will doublecheck that it wasn't the default-to-race selection thing keeping me from seeing them. I used to only run a practice session, but lately I have had the race one on as well... The only thing that makes me think I was not fooled in that way is that I was also adjusting the weather-- and in so doing, I already had to ensure I was adjusting the practice session. Anyway, I will revisit it. I'll also take some screenshots of the road illumination effect to show what I'm seeing. I think it may very well be one of those things that has to be "as good as it can" for this build, and then redone later when the sim's own illumination effects are working right.

As far as the feel of the offroad, I think the most instructive thing may be to look at examples that show the positive difference that can be realized... Recently I've been messing with various tracks and really noticed when the offroad friction was more accurate-feeling than normal. I will revisit some of those tracks and figure out which ones stood out in that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  2. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

The rubber files are named as follows:
    tws18_rubber = Texas World Speedway 1.8
    tws19_rubber = Texas World Speedway 1.9
    tws29ccw_rubber = Texas World Speedway 2.9 CCW
    tws29cw_rubber = Texas World Speedway 2.9 CW
    tws30_rubber = Texas World Speedway 3.0
    twsoval_rubber = Texas World Speedway Oval

Does this help?

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

You know what it is- in the spinner view it doesn't name the layouts, but in the List view it does. I just found that out and it helps a lot.

4. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

Well, I went back in to do some more testing... and now I have the CTD's.

So far, it's all versions, and HDR profile or RR profiles do not make a difference.

Just as reported by others earlier: everything is fine and normal until you click "race", then a very fast CTD.

The only changes I've made since they were working were some .plr file edits--- as they were smoke flow and rearview-culling related I don't see why that would cause it, but I will change them back and report.

5. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

It's rearview cull.

I use a lengthened rear clip for the mirror, so I can see the cars 1250 meters away in the rearview... When I originally made those changes, I also switched the rearview cull setting (which culls from the rear view based on the scene file, according to the note) to turn it off; "0", in other words. Default is enabled. I couldn't see much difference that it made one way or another; the clip distance is the one that mattered to me, so I left it that way.

Earlier today, put it back to "1"; just because, if it doesn't make a visible difference, I figured I'd be closer to the default.

Just now, having posted the above, I changed that setting, and that one alone, back to "0".

CTD's stopped. Track playable again.

Take note, whoever it was that couldn't play the track because of the CTD's--- get into your .plr file and change the "Rearview Cull" setting to "0" instead of "1".

Let us know if that fixes it!

Later...

Well, I suppose it's not going to be so simple. I posted what is above after a single test: I had been having the CTD's, changed the cull setting, went back in, got to the track-- and jumped right out to report.

It didn't work again. Testing further, I couldn't get any version of the track not to CTD (this is with the cull setting off)... so, I went and changed the other two settings (which were raindrop flow and rainspray flow--- both back to "2"; had set to "1" during the crashes).

So, now some layouts I can get to the track (like CW 2.9) others (like the 1.8 short course) I cannot. I do believe it has something to do with the virtual rearview mirrors--- I think it's crashing when it initializes those. The rearview cull is obvious, but what is the relation to rainspray flow? Well, it's this: flow over vehicles, as an option, works by having a notional sphere around the vehicles... flow over current makes it flow over the bubble around YOUR vehicle, flow over other vehicles seems to mean everyone BUT you. Now, we have neither spray nor drops here (at least, I'm using non-rain weather settings), but I have seen, in the virtual mirrors, this translucent bubble around other vehicles... it's not supposed to be visible, and I can't recall seeing it before, but I see it intermittently here.

I wanted to set it back to "flow over self" because that is the one that will keep rainspray out of your own cockpit. Flow over others looks pretty weird (depending on the shape of the vehicle) because it makes those big flat textures "pop up" to flow over vehicles--- it doesn't flow around the bubble, you understand--- the entire image (of the smoke cloud, or rain spray) moves upward over the bubble. Looks kind of real at a distance, very fake close up.

Anyway, it looks like this crashing thing is not as simple as I was hoping a little while ago, but I do think there's good reason to believe it has to do with virtual mirrors. I'm going to try disabling them altogether before launching the game, and see what that will do...

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Great work mate! I did some run with Clio on the first layout and it is very immersive!
    Like the others have said, the road textures need a lot of work and I add the grass also need some work !
    Is it a conversion or built from the scratch?!

7. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thanks. It was scratch built for rF1 and upgraded to rF2, but not just a simple conversion. I reworked or recreated almost every object. I will definitely redo the road textures for the next release.

8. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The curbs are yellowness need to detach from track. When use realroad shader can't use others shaders in the "Racesurface_xxx" object.
    Can detach quickly with my script GmaterialTool. Select one track object and press "read" to get the materials, then selelect all road objects and use "detach by MatID"

9. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Sorry, I don't understand a word you're saying here. Realroad should be setup correctly for the curbs. I used LRP as an example

10. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

[​IMG]

The color of curbs is ok?

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Yeah, pretty much. They're all old and nasty :)

12. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

if so sorry. Is the same color when it happens the problem I mentioned.

13. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Like I said, I have no idea what you're saying. We have a language barrier - sorry.

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Just FYI that I am also seeing very bright/washed out color if u need someone to test fix. I also agree regarding too slippery grass. I can't remember but I think Spaskis may have had to fix this with his most recent track and I think it feels good now if I am remembering correctly. Correct off track grip does wonders for immersion.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

He's saying that when he has had the problem in the past the color turned out the same as your color but in your case you wanted the color that way so he is apologizing for the misunderstanding.

16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thank you for translating. I'm from Texas, so I'm kinda slow :)

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

No! Don't do that! I love the road textures.

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL. Me too, remember.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yes, do please. Guy he is only increasing resolution.

20. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Right, I'm going make every effort to keep them as identical as possible, but just double the resolution.