Texas World Speedway - 1.00 Release

Discussion in 'Locations' started by PlickBadger, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

2. Thor

Thor Registered

3. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks plickbadger. BTW what is a plickbadger :)

4. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Please see my avatar :) - part ginger, part badger for a start

5. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

So here's what I have ready for version 1.1
    1024 x 1024 road textures
    Reworked Grass texture
    Reworked HDR
    Added more grip for grass
    Added VisGroups settings to remove trivial objects from mirrors
    Added circuit version to icons

Now I'm just working on AIW - this will take a while

6. Thor

Thor Registered

Link Please! :D

7. Thor

Thor Registered

When the Safety Car enters the track. Artificial intelligence deflects objects that are not on track. She does not follow the safe car straight. Is making an S. Please fix this. Thank you! Sorry my bad inglês! Thanks! Google Translator.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thank you for your efforts!

PS. You have a grazy looking avatar :D

9. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Your tracks are very good. Thank you for that and for the next update!

10. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

Hey, buddy...

I still haven't been able to figure out the crashing business--- for me, some versions of the track do, and some don't; but I can't seem to isolate what is causing it. Or what is the key factor in it. Every time I think I'm honed in on what it is, that thing turns out to not control it completely.

Anyway, though, I'm excited to offer you something else--- this is back to the offroad friction issue. I knew it might be a while before I ran across one of the examples I was talking about; a track to consider that seemed to have more-realistic-than-average offroad settings, so they could be followed.

Well, I found a great example of it, and due to the nature of the track itself, there is extensive room offroad to fool around... I swear, independent of this whole thread, if you are reading these words, you owe it to yourself to grab the Morgan Park 2012 1.0 track, take a historic formula car and lighten all the suspension settings a lot... and go play around offroad on this track. It's a ball! It really shows the potential that this sim has for rallying. You can drive around the entire track; tons of land, completely offroad... unbelievable fun.

The important point, for the TWS discussion, though, is I felt the level of friction offered by grass or gravel there was much more realistic than the teflon-tires-on-oiled-plastic feel that some tracks have. TWS isn't that bad, of course, but I think you'll agree after you play with it that this type of offroad terrain really enhances the realism and immersion of the whole track.

Give it a look, when you have the chance, and let me know what you think of it.

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Morgan Park 2012 - got it. I'll inspect the grip levels in the .tdf

On another note, I'm fairly certain I've got the hang of the new AIW editor, so I'll be spending some time tweaking the AI. Also I've been able to add some banking to turns 2&3, based up input.

Probably 2 weeks before 1.1, but it should address all concerns

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Morgan Park's TDF gras grip settings are as follows:
    Dry=0.65 Wet=0.45 Resistance=100.0

I think the resistance is set too low

I will test this vs. what I have currently for version 1.1, which is:
    Dry=0.5 Wet=0.40 Resistance=800.0

13. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

That's interesting... Now, would that "Resistance" be sort of the basic level of drag the offroad surface has? As in, its general resistance to the tires rolling over it; how much it will make the car slow down?

I wasn't thinking about it specifically before, but I can see the distinction--- whether you stick to it or not, does it make you slow down... On some tracks with bad offroad settings, that was my first clue--- not that I couldn't recover once leaving the road (on test-type laps, first time going off, I usually don't try), but that once I'd left the road, even holding the brakes locked sometimes the car slides waaaay too far. Regardless of whether grass (let's say) is slippery or not, IRL if you run a car offroad, even onto a putting green, or someone's manicured lawn, the car would be slowing pretty well with the wheels locked. In this context, I was thinking about the fact that when Senna hit the wall at Imola, he scrubbed off another 30-40 mph of his speed before he hit the wall... but after he'd left the more effective braking of the road surface.

Anyway, I get it... but as I said, I thought the Morgan offroad settings felt pretty good (at least in the car I tested it with)... are you sure the resistance should be eight times higher? That seems like a lot...

I'm not trying to second-guess you, I hope you will understand--- I'm just interested in what you're thinking. And, of course, to try out the new version!

On the crashes business, I'm still not sure what that's about, exactly--- I do believe it's related somehow to the .plr file... But, last few tests I did, I had no more crashes with any versions of TWS I tried. Unfortunately, it's no solution--- I don't know why they've stopped. But it does look like, for sufferers of the problem, it's not a set-in-stone problem with the track... more one of those subtle, yet-to-be-figured-out rFactor 2 mysteries.

14. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

No worries. at all. I used 800 as middle ground number. Resistance is the setting that dictates how hard it is to get the vehicle rolling without getting stuck. The higher the value, the more like quick sand.

If you check out the TDF for Malaysia 1.42, the settings are as follows:
    // Grass
    [FEEDBACK]
    Wear=0.6 Dry=0.5 Wet=0.3 Roughness=(0.50,0.25) Resistance=2000.0

I think the Dry and wet Grip values are more responsible for the overall slipperiness than anything else.

On the crashing note. I think removing the trivial objects from the review mirror will help this.

15. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

The very last time they were happening to me, I'm pretty sure I had the mirrors out of it as an issue... One thing that came up in some discussions about AI behavior, though, was the possibility that using the AI Line Smoothing feature might cause crashes on some tracks--- it has something to do with the AIW file, of course. I'm not sure of it yet, as it will take some pointed testing to confirm, but I think my last crashes might have had to do with that. If they're trying to go for inside, outside, fastest, apparently that can cause a crash if there isn't enough in the AIW file for all that. I don't know much about AIW files--- do they have to have separate lines for all those three? That's how I understood it...

Edit:

I just went and tried Malaysia 1.42, little offroading... I can see how 800 is not too high for it, if they're using 2000 there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

The AIW may very well be contributing to instability. On the TWS 1.0 release I used the rF1 AIW Editor to create my lines, then opened the AIW in rF2 build 198 Dev Mode and saved it. What I've noticed is that both the right and left lines are now whacky - nothing like rF1. That's the main reason I'm redoing the AIW in rF2.

17. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Version 1.1 is in final testing. It should be released this week or early next week

1.1 update list:
    • doubled the resolution of road textures
    • improved quality of grass texture
    • added grip to gras material in .TDF
    • added pit box markers
    • fixed a couple of minor curbing issues
    • relocated 3 cornerworkers for accuracy
    • increased the banking on turns 2&3 of the oval
    • removed trivial objects from review mirror using VisGroups
    • re-did left and right path in AIW
    • added block path in AIW
    • modified HDR profiles