Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

Agree with every word argo0, excellent post. :)

2. starfox550

starfox550 Registered

This track was one of the best things to happen to my RF1 installs, it's mostly the reason I boot the game up. I wish I could help somehow, but I just don't have the talent.. or equipment.

Good Luck Guys, and thanks for all the past, present & future efforts with the Florio. Can't really put into words how much I appreciate it.

3. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Debatable. Unlike any track, this would not add value to rF2, but multiply it! rF1 acquired a whole new meaning for me thanks to 6e66o and Co.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I sort of have to agree with Tim.

imho the GPL versions is the best " you feel it"
    GTL - rF are pretty lifeless and too many glitches.

Same with rF2 nothing comes close to the default circuits.
    All the converts so far are nice don't get me wrong and I appreciate them .... but they don't really cut it for me or do rF2 justice. .......... no offence meant.

5. osella

osella Registered

How does that imply that Tom considers GPL version the best Durge?

You can like the most any version the most thats your thing but imo Tim says the opposite.

I personally like the rf version more than gpl.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I don't think Tim was pointing at quality...maybe about legal issues or stuff like that, because even there are plenty of new improvements in the rF1 conversion, the base project is taken from another title. Just guessing...:)

BTW...I don't know how the road mesh is made (never looked into it)...but first thing to re-do (for rF2) could be the track surface (for the new RR tech)...and with 70km of asphalt it's a challenge for everyone. I could get a headache just thinking at drawcalls optimizations..:)

If I remember well...the conversion was made thanks to 30 guys....+_+

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's not debatable at all...

Financial viability has no connection to meanings or interests, financial viability is connected to purchases and sales. 6mo+ of work is, frankly, a killer for us doing it. As I said in my original post, it kills all other track creation for way too long of a period. There could be multiple tracks produced during a period of this one track, and this one track would be a niche track, which actually outside the historic crowd (which I am a part of, remember) isn't actually of any interest at all. I said it as plainly as I thought it needed to be said. :)

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No it is more the quality, which is an unknown obviously, but is unlikely to be enough poly to work well and be to our spec as-is. The guys have a standard for stuff to ship with rF2, and they just would want things to be that. Nothing against conversions, etc, but the original track, which does carry over in every conversion in some ways, can't be as detailed as they'd want it. They consequently would have to rebuild, probably using the GPL version as just a guide.

That doesn't mean the community shouldn't use the conversion, of course, it's just the 'policy' of the track guys on this particular case. :)

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

please carry on Geggo and Yoshimura :D
    (the legent MUSNT die)

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have never completed clean timed lap on this track in rF1, but still I consider track to be most entertaining to drive.

Having road surface like rF2 Spa track (bumps and such) would be quite like perfect already, but of course many might like bit more.

I know how to do simple basic cameras and simple AIW race line and such, but you might prefer bit more advanced than basic? Anyway those are my very limited skills in track making that I could lend if needed.

Of course nobody have time, at least not lot of it and I'm working with car physics for other mods, but there are time here and there :)

11. Fabrizio Agate

Fabrizio Agate Registered

I have no much free time but I can do texture and 3d models
    I worked for some fps projects but never for tracks
    if u guys give me some basics info about it
    I might be helpful
    let me know

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Misunderstood, never implied a thing...........

I SAID I understand Tim's position on the subject and agree with him.

I think GPL Targa is best.

Targa rFactor terrain is lifeless compared to GPL..............drive it you will soon see that.

All GPL ( GTR / GTL / rF ) conversions are the same to me, they lose feel.....

13. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

But sales are connected to the interests of potential customers, aren't they? At least that was my point. Adding one 'significant' track like the Nordschleife, Taga Florio or Le Mans has to be worth more as an attraction (especially in the long term) than a dozen of far less significant ones. Although it's up to you to judge how niche the historic and rally crowd is within the niche that simracing community is anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  14. isamu

isamu Registered

A 25 slot grid of old historic cars, whether it's a Mini Cooper or a Lotus 49, in an online race at Targa Florio in rFactor 2 is the stuff dreams are made of. If this ever happened and it was popular online I'd buy rF2 is a heartbeat.

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I think that a quality circuit like this would increase the sales of rF2......rF2 needs quality circuits like Florio,Nurb and Le Sarthe and not crap...tracks like Portugal!

16. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I love Portugal/Estoril...:)

Of course who the hell cares...but just to say everyone has his own taste..;)

17. tjc

tjc Registered

I too like Portugal but not too keen on that mickey mouse chicane... :p

18. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I would definitely love to see a comprehensive survey on what people would like to see in their racing sim. I doubt Targa would be at the top of the results. There are lots of younger generation players that never even heard of this track. It is also unknown how well such track would run with similar detail level as ISI Belgium for example. And judging from players opinions in this board, even that is not enough graphics wise.

From content production stand point, Targa is unbelievable massive project to do in any acceptable quality level. Even Nordschleife is, and it is three times smaller/shorter than Targa. With Nordschleife however you have better chance of succeeding commercially, as it is very well known circuit to almost anyone who has ever heard about cars and racing. And it is still raced today.

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing Mille Miglia, Paris-Madrid, Dakar Rally or Carrera Panamericana. But some things are just too much... It is a shame really, maybe in next 15 years somehow :)

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

There will be a day when skies will open and heaven will come down on earth, amen.

(maybe will come sooner though
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/192-rFactor3-Dream-Big-Dream-Outerra)

20. ethone

ethone Registered

A survey is just a survey though. Few people put their money where their mouths are. Saying "I would like the Nordschleife" in a hypothetical situation where there is no personal consequence from answering one way or another is quite different from, say, requiring everyone who says "I would like the Nordschleife" to purchase it for 25$.