Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I ran few laps in Formula 2 to post my times on rf2 rank, and all my practice laps are down the drain, they aren't saved in the cch file...

Something odd is going on

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There's something wrong. I don't have as good hardware as you and I get more fps (40 on avarage) with higher settings...

3. Takumi

Takumi Registered

At limerock, croft, poznan and malaysia I am getting 80 avg fps with almost everything maxed. This track simply kills my pc.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This was offline?

5. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

The same happens to me, all tracks fine except for Silverstone, too slow when going through the buildings areas

6. Domi

Domi Registered

The quality is great (best track ever made by ISI and by far), but the framerate is so bad that it doesn't matter how good it looks, because it's unplayable in almost all systems. And if I reduce graphic settings it won't look as good anymore, making it look like some random mid 2000s game. We can see here howa lot of people with good PC specs are struggling to go over 30fps in race conditions with decent gfx settings (not even maxed out...), so it's not a casual problem.

Performance is very important when determining the quality of the graphics, you can't ignore that...

7. 88mphTim

Yes, it is a better quality track, it's going to do that on the same settings. For textures alone: High on Silverstone is Full on LRP, and Full on LRP could equate to even less on some other tracks. We possibly should have added an Ultra setting above High for Silverstone to use, and made High Silverstone match High LRP.

8. carlos26

carlos26 Registered

ok, this means that development is a slow but nice? Thanks for the reply tim

regards

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Tested again with enviromental reflections off:

low 36 fps (at pit), high 61 fps (vsync on), about 50 on avarage.

With low enviromental reflections I had: low 25, high 56 and 40 on avarage.

Otherwise settings were the same (except videos off but that hardly matters).

Pretty big difference :p

I can also report that Corvette ffb is really good in low speed corners atm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Only if there is no intention to eventually update the other tracks to the level of Silverstone and it will always be an anomaly. But yes, "High" should in the end mean the same thing at all ISI tracks.

11. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi guys -- I think i found an acceptable solution to my performance issues. I reduced the number of AI from 30 to 20 (21 including me) and reduced texture from max to high, keeping track detail at max. I also lowered driver detail to high and opponents to high, and turned road reflection off and kept environmental reflection to low. I have shadows at max. This gives me a solid 44fps at the back of the starting grid, rising to around 55-65 elsewhere on the track, peaking in the 80s. This is fine for me.

Textures at max is a killer, as is ER at high. I think the extra cars (30 before) caused bandwidth issues in the GFX memory, maybe it is too much for my 2GB 680GTXs.

But suffice to say I am now a happy bunny.

12. 88mphTim

Of course it isn't going to look as good, and give better performance when you reduce settings. Causality. People with good specs can run it at a similar graphical level to what they would get at LRP, with FPS. People with great specs, recent machines, can run it even better, with FPS. I don't know why suddenly we should be going backwards, when until now the main thing most people have said needed to be improved is being improved. This is as of right now a 2013 software title, next year it'll be a 2014 title, you're not going to get good looks and performance out of an rF1 PC, things still run with the minimum settings, but won't look as good. Over the years a minimum spec pc can probably always run minimum settings, a 2012 PC which could 'run' rF2 maxed out in 2012, might end up having to reduce settings as things advance. We're about 18 months of changes here. These are facts. It's not brushing it off, I'm being fully accepting of it existing. Yes, if you want FPS and your system cannot do it on full settings, you can't use full settings to get those FPS. It's like a pendulum and it cannot swing both ways at once. There's many factors that can cause this, including us needing to optimize (I've never denied that, by the way), but if you want software to run at higher FPS, you need lower settings and visuals, that is common sense and something no developer can change. And as I've already said, when other titles are talking about limiting AI to low numbers, it should give you an indication of where you might even want to limit your race settings in rF2 with what might be a better looking experience when you do so. It is a balancing act for you as a user, I understand that. And all I can do is to ask you to reduce settings right now if you need to, because you're the only person who can do. :)

13. 88mphTim

I probably could have started a new paragraph or two there. ;)

14. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Tim -- you must be knackered!

15. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yeah, Athlon X4 and GTX 560 SE here, and I get more than 45 FPS during the day. I would turn off AA and HDR.

16. 88mphTim

Good to see. Have mentioned limited AI in other titles a few times, thought it seemed obvious how much difference that meant it made. Guess it wasn;t really clear. My last post mentioned it.

17. 88mphTim

I wasn't the one working 16-18 hours a day to build the track.

18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

So is the greatest strain processing the extra geometry on the cars and textures, or the CPU working out the AI calculations (BTW which I think are excellent). I understand both have an impact, but think the former has the greatest impact.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yeah I've done that already. Sorry, I just forgot to write it down.
    Maybe I'm dropping it to Medium. But rF2 could need individual settings for each track, so that I don't have to change it myself everytime I change track.

20. TJones

TJones Registered

:eek: This is WAY to long !!