Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Biggest suggestion I've worked out from feedback so far, totally agree...

2. Domi

Domi Registered

Yes Tim, I know that I need to reduce visuals when the framerate is bad, I'm still smart enough to get that :) I've been playing PC games since the early 90s so I understand this. I'm not even asking to run rF2 at Silverstone with everything maxed out with 40 cars on track and having 400fps like in rF1, and I'm not saying that we have to go backwards, but to have a decent framerate in this track you have to sacrifice way too much quality. Way too much for 2013 standards, almost all the new rF2 gfx features have to be off/low, there must be something wrong when most people can play modern games with much higher quality and better performance, and see how the framerate is around 20-30 fps on this track...

Also it seems that AMD graphic cards users have much more problems than nVidia users, so performance needs a lot of work, clearly. As user I need to reduce settings, but you as developer must improve this, too...

3. 88mphTim

Weirdly, Luc says he enjoyed himself a lot. I sometimes feel bad being the guy who posts the content, as all the guys work really hard and some say "thanks, tim". Especially with Silverstone, although I signed it, I didn't survey it (Luc did) and hardly got time to help test it.

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Finally got to run a few laps this morning on the track.
    It's a beaut. The framerate is at 60-70 as opposed to 82-90 for most other tracks...but that was expected. It is very 'fluid' for me.
    I love the way everything looks through that windshield...the track surface, the sky, the lighting. It all looks very natural to me.
    Thanks ISI.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Correction, all best laps for practice, qualify and race aren'T saved. I tried uploading them to rf2rank, and I see no silverstone results from my career.blt...

Too bad, I would have liked to submit my 1:46 time with the f2 :)

6. 88mphTim

Would you be able to try just reducing texture quality (from whatever your normal settings are on LRP for example), and perhaps the number of AI? Those seem the biggest killers. See if that works for you...

7. 88mphTim

This is just happening at Silverstone for you, right?

8. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I don't know what you guys do different to what Feels3 does on his tracks to achieve (according to you Tim) the "same" quality but looks like he could teach you guys something about optimizing.
    His tracks look alot more crisper and high res, unlike Silverstone not EVERY single thing is just 1 jagged line and on top of that it actually runs properly and not at 30fps
    Not impressed at all with this to be honest.

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Regarding performance, I don't understand why everyone is over-reacting? Those with massive fps hits have ATI cards or nVidia? Cause, apart from the fact that I cannot load the track with texture detail set to full, every thing else is set to full, max, quality, hdr, fxaa, level 1 AA (only got a phenom x4 9650, first generation phenom, 2.3ghz, + gtx580, 3gb ram) and I average 40-50 fps on the most heavy parts, and 60 caps on the rest, thats at 1920x1200...

I was even able to record my best lap on the f2 using the same fraps settings, and rF2 settings I recorded my previous video with.

At first glance, the track seems a bit dull, and you wonder what's the fuzz with it, but as you stop by and watch carefully, it becomes easy to see why the track is heavier than the others... the amount of details and objects, the complex fences, the pit stops with the stairs etc...

The lighting is really good too! The lighting is superb overall in rf2, but silverstone is a notch above.

I hope to see the other content updated to match the new standard some time in the future :)

I will post a video of my 1:46 lap when it's converted and upped to youtube

10. TJones

TJones Registered

I have about 40-60 fps, with 9 A.I. Drivers.

My Display settings: Everything at max or full except the following: Texture filter- Trilinear, Shadow blur- Off.

Video res.: 1920x1080 32bit, AA- none, Sync- software, FXAA- Off, HDR- On.

My system specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 8 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX660, all with stock clock timings.

11. Domi

Domi Registered

Yes I am, I've had to turn down/off certain graphics settings like texture quality, reflections (off), track details, hdr, AA and so on to have around 100ish fps driving alone. However my complain is about the big gap of graphic quality between high-ish settings and low-ish-off settings in order to have a decent framerate to drive smoothly.

The track modeling is fantastic, though. I don't know if you guys used laser scan data or what, but everything looks almost 1:1 compared with the real track. LRP was quite a step forward, and this one is simply amazing. If you didn't use laser scan data, kudos to the modelers. If I was you I'd say anyway that the track was laser scanned, after all nobody would notice, and works quite good as marketing tool :)

12. C3PO

C3PO Registered

One click less for me on textures, opponents detail and player -- plus reducing AI number massively improved things for me with very little difference in visual quality.

13. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Well then: thanks, Luc!
    :cool:

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes, well that I'm aware of.

But now that you mention it, yesterday, I was running Mills, to improve my best lap times, running against my ghost, and I noticed that my best laps (for all cars used) weren't properly updated on rf2rank...

I dug in the .cch file, and the lap times I remembered doing for some cars, weren't updated either...

I did nothing particular to my install recently, only updated from 218 to 228 using the auto update, then from 228 to 240 using the auto-update again.

I run with no UAC, so my player files are in c:\rFactor2, and no permissions changed either...

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I had 4 AI when I raced earlier, will try with some more later, but yesterday, I had problems loading tracks with 8 AI or more...

EDIT: the track, I mean silverstone, I never had problems loading tracks with 16 AI with everything set to full, max, quality previously.

16. Domi

Domi Registered

Shadows are usually one of the settings that brings better performance when turning it down (since rF1), and the difference between low/off and max/high is quite big in terms of visuals. Here I need more than "one click less"...

17. TJones

TJones Registered

+1
    Well done!
    Take a few days relaxing. :)

18. 88mphTim

Yeah, I can understand that being an annoying trade off to have to do.

We don't laser scan, no, just proper surveying. It worked for the Pyramids.

19. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

And steering wheel setting for each car. :p

20. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Same configuration in the 2 images safe enviroment reflections. 56FPS WITH ENVIRONMENT HIGH AND 207FPS WITH ENVIRONMENT OFF. This is normal?? :confused:

Enviroment reflections HIGH 56FPS

[​IMG]

Enviroments LOW 146FPS

[​IMG]

Environment reflections OFF207FPS

[​IMG]

2500k Sandy Bridge oc, 2 GTX 560 TI OC SLI

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013