Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Disagree - iRacing tracks lately have been just as detailed yet run v well. There is lots to be done here.

2. Twista

Twista Registered

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of optimisation to be made, I'm saying that the quality of this track, even compared to LRP, is streets ahead of the previous content from ISI in terms of visual quality.

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

So it should be with 680s in SLI. For the rest of us - not so good.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I use nvidia 3d vision
    Yes I agree 3d vision enhances everything

I have no rig connected to my pc at mo but I'm going to download & take look at tf2 new build & silverstone later

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

iRacing limit the drivable environment. Their models are much smaller. And let's not forget, this is a loooong track.

Edit: And our tracks aren't static. They both visually and physically change. You should not expect the same performance until both sims do the same things. Additionally, multiplayer opponents are less work for the PC than AI in most cases, which is why some sims limit those to 10-15 also.

6. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Screeny,
    View attachment 8416

As Tosch pointed out - the date of the race will affect the sun location and therefore the position of shadows on track. The track looks great though, and one thing I noticed while taking this screenshot (which I never noticed before) is that the sim looks nicer from the swingman camera than it does from the actual trackside cameras, not sure why that would be. Maybe the LOD's are consistent with the swingman camera so everything looks cleaner and smoother.

7. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I think ISI did the right thing by making such a detailed track. Yes, performance might not be good on an older machine, but it always possible to reduce detail. Adding detail is impossible though. As it stands rF2 will be around for a long time. I think it is great to still have high detailed tracks in 2 or 3 years time.

8. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

The international layout is still used by track days i'm not aware of any racing actually taking place on the layout after the GT series which run there in 2010/1 iirc.

The national layout is defiantly still used by the BTCC and a few other national series i think.

I did a tonne of research on Silverstone for my version of the track and my dissertation which i might post up at some point.

I've just opened the track up in 3dsimed just wondering are there any plans on doing more of the surrounding environment, probably because I've researched the place and built it myself it just bugs me not to see multiple buildings around the exterior of the track.

Other than that stunning looking track, really takes advantage of the lighting engine.

9. 88mphTim

That's probably the reason. Car LOD is probably stable in swingman, while it might pop to the other levels in trackside.

10. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Well, I get 100 fps in iRacing's Silverstone (and 75fps at Brianza for that matter), but here it's 10-20 fps. I got 3fps in the pit lane first time I loaded it. It looks like a cartoon on these settings and not much better in the vids I've seen.

Just tried HDR to see if it transformed it. It did....straight to desktop.

I could accept it if the quality was there, but it isn't. It flickers, pops up, and looks childish.

11. 88mphTim

That's basically what I was trying to say, but I probably did a poor job of it... lol

12. 88mphTim

Well, again, the OP says there will be updates if required. What I'm saying is that I just hope that doesn't include taking a meat cleaver to it.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

we can't select a date yet can we? or has something been added in build 240 which allows it?

14. Domi

Domi Registered

I'm not very sure if this track will run fine, even in 2-3 years. Needs lots of optimizations, the current graphic quality doesn't justify the poor framerate.

15. carlos26

carlos26 Registered

Hi tim. I wanted to ask you. It is the first time a low I build excess return, believed it was silverstone, but it happens in all circuits.

When you have thought about optimizing the game so that fluid go? Before taking the final version? is the last thing you are going to do? The work that this entails and effort you doing, but a good optimization and sim fluency would be great.

Thank you. greetings!

16. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Thanks for the great track ISI! Had to turn down track detail from Full to High but looks good and is drivable. Oddly I had to turn vsync (display) back on for it to be smooth but that fixed it and I'm enjoying the track. Since my projector is 720p and not 1080p I gain a bit more FPS, for those playing on small monitors it might be worth trying since the difference won't be very significant. i.e. The sim will look better since you can leave details higher and reduce slightly the resolution. Just a suggestion folks, enjoy!

17. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

Tim : the real problem is not necessary the performance today. sometimes when a "new" game is released players need some times to upgrade their hardware parts.

problem is that if the game stay like this, especially about dual core use, and no quad optimization, nobody will be able to play in good conditions !

basically, today with silverstone in full and 30 cars on track, can you really say wich configuration we need to play with always +60fps ? :)

18. 88mphTim

I've been told the other layouts *ARE* planned.

19. Nick88

Nick88 Registered

The lighting effects make the track and rF2 look beautiful, cannot fault the lighting. But the overall graphics and the way rF2 is just low performance and seems like low optimization. It is so graphically heavy that people are being put off by it.

WHAT21A (Shaun) version on rF1 is more aesthetically pleasing without the dynamic lighting than the rF2 version. Some fundamental issues with rF2 have still not been addressed and that is graphical performance and the damage model, especially in open wheel cars.

20. 88mphTim

lol, I would probably disagree there. For rF2 to be quality for years to come, we need to make 2013 quality tracks in 2013. LRP already looks a lot older after 6 months.

So if the quality doesn't justify the framerate, reduce your texture quality you don't want in the settings to get the framerate you do want back. Seems like a no-brainer really.