São Paulo 1.01 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Hmmm, are you sure you're setting the correct session? Sounds like you're setting the weather for a session you're not loading or which is loaded after another one (like a race after a quali).

Be sure you're setting the weather in the same tab as the session you want to play (Practice, Quali, Race).

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That's very interesting, thanks for the insight man. I didn't know that.:)

Is that perhaps also why I generally have some issues with the FR3.5 2014 AI cars?
    They're locking up their brakes very often at many tracks.
    After a few laps there are black tire marks from lock-ups everywhere.

BTW I run them with the high downforce config. Maybe I should try medium and see if that makes a difference?

3. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I've put up a server using the Marussia F1 with the 2013 skin pack on Sao Paulo. "Pitlanes.com F1". Everything should download from the server.

Enjoy.

4. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Checked what you sugested, exited game, tried again and by begining of lap 3 downpoor.
    I must say I copied all the content of a third party settings in this track settings (wanted to copy setups), may be it copied a file that should'nt be present.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Erased the content of Sao Paolo settings completly. Uninstalled track, installed it back, copied only *.SVM to it's settings. Started a race a by lap 2.2 rain started. Join a capture of the race settings. View attachment 14647

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
  5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Are there any changes to the road shader in the next build? To me it looks like the curbs use the alpha channel of the asphalt_spec map (which should be part of the wet reflection map) as specular map. I'm also missing the normal map on the curbs (RMBLA_B.DDS).

[​IMG]

6. Tuttle

Curbs are calling a blank noisy texture for specular with the puddle map stored in the alpha. Works that way for previous tracks too. And normals are in there.

EDIT: what I see from your shot, setting exp to zero, is looking more a UV mapping issue. We'll investigate, thanks.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The AI Formula 2 works flawlessly around this track btw.
    Such a challenge and so much fun.
    Those tires really do go off quite badly if you're not careful.
    30+ minute races are magnificent and the AI's fast and consistent.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Grass is mentioned in first post and are all related to that, other issues I haven't checked on yet.

9. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

Thanks for one of my favorite tracks and keep collaborating with Reiza!!:)

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The specular reflection (grey grass, roads and other objects with spec maps are also affected) at night was there before you introduced the new terrain shader. It seems the virtual light source (aka sun) is switched off for diffuse/albedo maps at night but not for the specmaps. The sun shines through the ground and illuminates the specular maps.

11. Tuttle

A shader it is just a shader. :)

I think you're reporting the black point used in the automation (atm it's a workaround to avoid full black night on cockpits) causing overdo scatter where strong specular are used. Nothing to do with the grass shader, no.

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Correction. It's the moon that shines through the ground.

13. Lgel

Lgel Registered

After unsucesfull attempts, see my previous post updated, I made a new package of the track with a new SAOPAOLO.wet file inspired from an another track, now scripted weather works.

Looks as if the SAOPAOLO.wet file in the settings directory of the track remained read only and the changes you made from the UI weren't saved.

Do you have a clue of what happened?

Thanks a lot for your help.

14. Tuttle

No really. The .wet file for SP is just a copy/paste of the same file we use for everything, with just tweaked values for different places. Just checked and I don't see anything wrong in it. I tried forcing sun and I got sun. I tried forcing scripted cloudy and I got clouds. I tried to force rain and I got rain, then I switched back to the default script and it was reading that one.

Remember if you have expected rain in the half of the race and you set a 10 laps race you'll start getting rain very soon as well if you set start with full sun and then cloudy you'll probably start with few clouds already, if you're running a short race.

15. Lgel

Lgel Registered

¡'0
    I don't know what happened, but now scripted weather works, if I configure a race with sunny I have sun, If I configure rain I have rain. Before even if I configured sunny I had overcast (not sunny) and rain after 2 laps.

If I am the only one affected, forget about it, my problem is solved.

Thanks a lot again for your help.

16. Tuttle

Yeah don't worry. Every report is welcome! :)

Just tried in another machine and still working. The only difference is I'm running a new internal build but I don't think this may cause any difference in the weather. BTW let's see if other guys are getting a similar problem. Over here I can't replicate your issue.

Thanks for your feedback.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

A non-technical question about the new shader fix: will it trick our eyes into thinking the grass has some depth? Right now, the billiard table smoothness and lack of perception of depth is what I think most people are grumbling about when they say the grass doesn't look good.

The grass at the real track is not groomed like a golf putting green and it's an old track...the grass is bumpy and has undulations that have formed over the years with all the rain and usage. Hopefully it will appear a bit like that when the shader is fixed. The grass texture itself looks nice from a top-down view. But this is a well-worn facility, which of course is a major part of its charm.

18. Tuttle

The bug in the shader, released with b860, is specular related. The result is the entire grass suffering a "metal" look with a VERY LARGE specular falloff, when the grass is facing the sun...especially on low sun angles.

Of course at the time the specular goes crazy like that, all diffuse and normal maps (used in game engines to fake the bump/dents shading) involved in the process, are killed for mid/long distances, because the shiny look is going to make everything looking flat.

So yeah, at the time the shader it has been fixed, everything looks properly - as you can see in those Sao Paolo official screenshots in the track page, where latest internal builds, with the fixed shader, has been used.

That's another aspect involving very low frequency stuff as the terrain morphology. To see this stuff properly (without using humongous and inefficient low frequency normals) you'd need real polygons and a proper mesh density, reproducing the real terrain structure. This specific track is using very low poly terrains (remember it has been done long times ago) so you're not going to see all those morphology details as there are not polygons to describe it.

19. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

Thank you ISI and Reiza, one of the greatest circuits for F1. ;)

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, I did more laps today with the Civic( offline session) and I to say, I'm a bit disappointed.
    I know about the grass shaders bug, but the track looks outdated graphically.
    Trees, guard rails, walls....textures and shaders aren't in the same bar with the latest rf2 releases.
    The back ward buildings look painted and ugly.
    At this point I think it is better for ISI if they can do their track from the scratch or to do a better work on the next collaboration with third party developers.