Rfactor 2 vs Iracing vs CARS- a newbs perspective

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by rss334, Aug 13, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Interrogation time!!!
    Whats up here?

2. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

3. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It's not me! Seriously :p

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ok, you got me, I give up, pass me the handcuffs officer :(

5. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

PCARS development is all eye candy, for a supposed 'simulator' they sure are ignoring one of the most important factors... the vehicle physics and dynamics!

Whilst sometimes through the rfactor 2 dev it seems that the content is lacking, its overall a much more enjoyable sim and I would rather do 200 laps in a F3 or Clio than drive 200 laps between 20 different cars that all handle like **** :)

6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

what is that thing of you with the names?? do you not believe us, that we tried pCARS?

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

What about GTR 3? I have not heard anything yet except the sound teaser and some screen shots.

I know that at one point they requested beta testers so I am sure that some know how it's going and what it feels like up to now...

Is it still all a secret? I'm dying to know if it will be another good sim or not....

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Just a curiosity about pCARS...what happens to Ben Collins? :p

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

He was fired because he wrote on WMD forum that he prefers rf2 :p (JOKE)

10. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

I know that. You could say what name you use. People won't doubt you that way.

11. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

No I don't.

12. Tuttle

13. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Not me, I have pcars and rf2.

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

How much do you have left? ;)

15. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

You cannot not compare any of these sims, they are all at different levels of development.

16. Magus

Magus Registered

In their current states, for me, it's a bit like comparing ARMA2 with COD within a different genre when comparing rf2 & pCARS.

I have difficulty accepting that pCARS's FFB is comparable in its current state to RF2's, regardless of what FFBTweaker files you use. I use G25 with both games & the difference between their FFB at vanilla is night & day for me & just get an extra weighty feeling with the file combos recommended for pCARS.

My major gripe with pCARS is that I never feel connected to the road & when I race it feels flat in comparison to rf2.

Also, I can jump in the Caterham 300 & go around Nords (this weeks event) driving a pretty atrocious line & the car refuses to spin out, so many times I think 'oh here she goes' & still the cars firmly planted & happily racing along.

I know a new physics & tire model are due. I've been following AJ's physics thread on WMD plus other threads about pCARS being an arcade racer, real racer, simcade or simulation. The contradictions I hear are quite amusing, from; it's narrow minded to label it, it's 'sim-elitist' who refuse it's a sim, it's arcade, it's simcade...

Who cares what it is or turns out to be, as long as it is not falsely advertised & the end product is excellent within the category it aimed for.

Of concern is when members/users defend the games physics & FFB (I wish I could find the post I'm referring to here but would take far too much searching WMD & really can't be bothered) defending it's 'sim' qualities & within the same paragraph states that within 5 laps they can determine how much they can push the car around the track...

I know the argument that if it's hard it doesn't make it a sim but 5 laps to learn to push a car to its limits around a new track??

I'm a pretty average racer but I've spent the last 2 nights in the trainer at Croft learning how that car can be pushed at various points in the session. I kid you not, I have more or less clocked over 80 laps from Friday night (incl. O, Q & R) & if I lose 1-3 seconds concentration I can grantee you that I will be spinning round the next corner or the one after.

With pCARS Rookie I can go round quite 'smoothly' (for me the rookie is one of the better vehicles in the game with better FFB). Within that 5 lap timer he/she states I can find its limits on a new track, for me this is GT5 territory (I've not played Forza) of simulating 'real' driving. Quick learning curve, then fun & forgiving thereafter.

I'm not saying rf2 isn't fun, it is to the right audience but I don't think it is forgiving. You need patience, dedication & concentration in greater abundance than with pCARS to get along in rf2, hence why my comparison with COD & ARMA2. One is a lot more polished, faster, fun pick up & play (yes still requires effort to master), the other requiring more focus, discipline & training to just get the basics.

Generally speaking, instant gratification vs delayed/long term gratification.

I do think that rf2 sits comfortably at the delayed gratification of 'gaming pleasure' however at the moment pCARS seems a little 'bipolar', it's certain it doesn't want to be in the 'instant gratification' territory but also knows that a large portion of the console market are all about instant gratifications (or around that spectrum) especially its younger audience & at the moment it's delicately trying to figure out how to position itself to cater for a larger audience than its traditionally been entitled to.

I for one am very interested how it turns out, I would love it to have the option to allow for 'delayed gratification' depending on my time, patience & effort with a car & track where the physics, tire & FFB all feel connected.

At things currently stand, rf2 ticks more boxes for me than pCRAS but I am also very much looking forward to AC.

Last night I was tempted with GSC 2012 after reading so much enthusiasm about the title but watched some you tube videos instead, then jumped back into rf2 :D I may purchase it one impulsive (read drunken) night but think once I hear rave reviews about the Mini's then it will be downloading pretty sharpish.

Anyway that my tuppence worth.

1 person likes this.
  17. Tuttle

I've pCARS as well and like many other guys I was in love when they started with the project...but now they're on a different business with a different target than a pure simulator. I don't blame SMS for this choice...not at all. It's not easy to offer tons of licensed contents like pCARS (especially at this speed) without moving on a more commercial target, like GT5 or Forza.

They set the standard in quality of models and shaders and I admire how SMS artists are working...but I can't play the game. Just don't like how it feels. I don't think I've to waste my time to explain you why....or get you proofs I've the game. Cmon...:)

So what's the point here? How did you convince someone to change their feelings about the game? Another infinite discussion about pCARS vs rF2? It's like comparing ananas with bananas...;)

no thanks...:)

18. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I also have pCARS, team member status. And my honest opinion is, I lost interest almost completely.
    Input became better, less inputlag, more accurate steering, this stupid "shaking steering wheel effect even though your real steering wheel was firmly in your hands" is gone too (which was an annoying leftover from the Shift series I guess). But overall physics seem strange and FFB is simply lacking. That's my opinion.

They are making progress though. But right now pCARS cannot compete against iRacing, NetKar Pro and rFactor 2 (haven't tried GSC though, but heard a lot of good things so far). To be honest even rFactor 1 still feels more believable while driving.
    Nevertheless sometimes when I got some spare time I download the latest build to test again. Still hoping they can improve what they have, but I don't think they will be able to match rFactor 2's physics, same thing is with the graphics department vice versa.
    And for me: Stable netcode > Physics/FFB > Features like driver swap, day/night cycle, weather > Sound > Graphics.
    A personal priority list like this lets us choose the title we prefer the most. For me, it's obvious which one to choose if I look at this list.

And yes Max, I'm registered with my real name. ;)

But the best thing is that we actually have enough titles out there (or will pretty soon) to pick our favorite from. A couple of years ago we had almost no choice, think about the Grand Prix days for example. Crammond or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  19. FONismo

FONismo Registered

LOL

20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

@Max

So you think that anyone who doesn't like pCARS hasn't even tried it? lol

My name on WMD is gears. I've been a member since day one. It will be one year in October. I drive every weekly build.

My opinion: It's nowhere near a sim. But, it was never supposed to be. It's a console arcade racer. As Ian Bell said, it will be "a more realistic GT5/Forza for the masses".

Once you get over the eye candy, you'll see there's really nothing underneath. FFB and physics are just placeholders. It's just a screenshot game.