Rfactor 2 vs Iracing vs CARS- a newbs perspective

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by rss334, Aug 13, 2012.

1. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Turn the steering lock down then? The sounds when adjusted are great in the Clio. Turn them all down to half way apart from yours and you lose the distortion.

The Abarth is good but it has it's own problems like the engine sound maxing about about 2000 revs before it's even in the red. And so you shift thinking your at the limit when really there is more to go.

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

You make very good points but to be clear when I compare NKP it is not to say that one car is modeled more or less accurately than the actual car and I can admit I have never driven either of these cars. What I mean is when you get into the Abarth in NKP, it feels like you are in a car and the driving feels realistic. When you get is a Clio, it's like wow this is amazing b/c the physics are so deep and my steering inputs are accurate and the car handles so great but damn it feels like cardboard and sounds like sandpaper and looks worse that cartoons from the seventies.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

According to Tim they are still working on contact patch, tire model, etc. I interpret this as they are still designing and in my software development experience design comes before development comes before test. Beta is test. ISI is still in design. Design comes before development. Development comes before test. Make sense?

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Sheesh... don't mince your words! Say what you feel! :D

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

No its not that. And don't get me wrong I give the Clio an A++ on FFB. It's just that the NKP is like butter. Smooth as silk. It's not that the Clio is not smooth and I would even notice it had I not had NKP. I wish I had never tried NKP b/c such a tease b/c no AI, online sux, etc. so I continue with rf1 and rf2. AC just seems to be a tsunami heading out way.

[/QUOTE]
    The sounds when adjusted are great in the Clio. Turn them all down to half way apart from yours and you lose the distortion.
    [/QUOTE]
    It's not the engine, which is great. It's the d@mn cr@ppy tire sounds.

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Like I said, it's hard to describe but one thing is for sure... You grab that average person off the street and tell them you're into sim racing and, for illustrative purposes, assume they think that's cool. If you would then show them NKP and they're like "cool, that's like Dirt, etc. but more realistic and challenging". If you instead would show them rF2, they would say "what wrong with you? you must really be a nerd". LOL

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes AC is looking great as is Raceroom but i hope you realise AC has been in development alot longer than some of you guys think when making comparisons to rF2. At the end of the day yes it looks wonderful but so does pCARS and well that really doesn't satisfy me. Also, try and remember we were all just as hyped for rF2 before beta and then it appears and reality of software that is still in progress sets in.

I will be great i know it will. I have spoken with someone at length privately that has played it so i know it feels good. But you have to consider that ISI right now whether we think it's right or wrong have priorities elsewhere in terms of progress with the sim. In fact i'm sure i read something from Tim the other day saying they wish they had of done what all the others seemed to have done and nailed the visuals first.

But they haven't and so we just have to wait and see. I think it's clear though now that ISI have their hands full with AC as the modding is supposed to be pretty open. RaceRoom is also looking strong. That's my concern now that we will loose alot of the decent modders and teams from rF. But i will be racing AC anyhow so it doesn't matter so much for us as racers. And anyway if you loose some, you will always have new teams appearing that prefer rF as a platform for whatever reason.

rF2 though is a long term project and not something that when goes officially gold is actually finished. Maxy used to wind me up banging on about visuals all the time but right now i think ISI really have to start really pushing them now. It's clear to me that while sounds physics come first. Alot of the community these days are obsessed with visuals.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Also stuff like RealRoad and others that ISI are trying to do with rF2 offer me far more immersion than visuals. I have been racing GSC2012 alot lately in club races. It's an unbelievable sim to race in a competitive environment. But each race i really do miss Real Road and the whole race day atmosphere rF2 creates. It can not be touched for this. It's just a shame that right now online is littered with alot of silly driving that forces me to use GSC2012 as my online sim right now.

I was buzzing my nuts of the other night in GSC, had a great 3 way battle in a big field for 1st but half way through it dawned on me that the track was not evolving both visually and physically. This is something very special in rF2 that is sadly underrated and ignored in favour of more glossy looking sims.

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Very well said, FONismo. No arguments here with any of this.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just to pick up on that last sentence (that I agree with), I think its just a sign of the times. Now we can have all the GPU power and CPU power we want to get great visuals from games and include into that the necessary "playabilty" of those games. I found it fascinating in the late 1990s into the 2000s to be a part of the First Person Shooter community as each game came out and broke the visuals barrier and continued to have maximum playabilty, I see this is now happening with Sim Racing, albeit a lot later but our community is alot smaller than the FPS was all those years ago. With this power we have then more people expect stunning graphics alongside the Physics and everything else that goes into making a great Sim.

Having personally tried pCars and seen the AC videos (although IMO you cant tell much from wobbly Youtube videos!) then I think maybe ISI will need to pick up pace on their visuals, as whether they like it or not customers will buy games based on the "look" of the game not always the physics/moddability and they could potentially lose those customers. Sure the die hards like us will stick around to the bitter end, but we're a small minority in the grand scheme of things!

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yeah your right it is a sign of the times. I have to say i wish rF2 looked like AC or even RaceRoom, saying that i think the RaceRoom levels of graphics are possible for rF2 btw in time. I think AC and pCARS will be out of reach personally.

rF2 has it's momments but that's the problem right now is the inconsistency to the visuals but again this is to be expected with software that is in development. I tell you i think at times like some sunsets in rF2, i think they look better than pCARS. Night racing at Croft can look stunning on your own. Add cars in and the graphics dive due to the funky night shadows when your headlights light the car in front.

That's the annoying thing with rF2, you get glimpses but when you get that glimpse, there is always a bug beside it or around the corner ( No pun )

We are seeing a big change. I love visuals as much as the next man, i really do but i dunno i just always favour the feel and sound. My concern really is what i said above about modding and rF2. I really do hope that ISI take AC serious now and really do go for it.

pCARS i don't think are really in the same market, they are really after the console crowd in terms of sales and Raceroom looks like it's trying something a little different but AC is a big thing that looks like it can offer everything a modder could need like rF2 does.

12. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Wow, what a post, thnx fonnismo.

14. FONismo

FONismo Registered

They look great inpaticular the SPA video, looks very SHIFT like. But all of this kind of stuff is a long way off for rF2 right now. He did do great with rF1 and i have no doubt we will see the same again with rF2.

15. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

For me it looks much better than rf2.

I mean only shaders and materials not car models or track. I never saw on rf2 so good looking glass or road shader.
    And note that he was limited by rf1's engine. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

VERY limited, I'd say :)

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yes, but one would assume a well rated FPS will sell 1-15million units, but the typical sim may not sell more than 2-300k.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

uuummm yes thats pretty much what I said in my post, read it again!