Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Eurisko84

Eurisko84 Registered

Tested with Game Stock Car 2013 (rF1 Plugin) and works perfectly. Tridef, does NOT work with Game Stock car 2013.

The only way I figured out how to get it to work was to run Vireio Perception 2.0.0.1 in the background with Oculus Tracking switched OFF, otherwise there is a conflict with Vireio trying to track as well as the plugin.
    You also need to overide the D3D9.dll with the Vireio version to allow for injection, but that causes other slight graphical issues.

Besides the menus being out of whack, some of the cockpit textures are not showing up correctly, and this is quite annoying. We will see how it turns out. Hopefully TriDef will get their version working, as its a treat with rF1 and rF2.

2. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

That's pretty much what I found as well. Interesting that you got it to work with Vireio. I wonder what the difference is between 2012 and 2013 that breaks Tridef...

rF1 and 2 are still my go to games for racing with the Rift. iRacing has a great implementation but is too limited unless I buy a bunch of content. Assetto Corsas implementation is still ****.

Try rF1 with the Shift Street mod, preferably with an H-shifter. Brilliant.

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

After reading some good write-ups on the net about the state of Simracing with the Oculus Rift, see:
    .. I finally added links and installation instructions for Rf1Rift (rfactor1 plugin). If you had problems installing Rf1Rift maybe try again with the installation instructions. If you find any errors in the instructions please tell me!

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

BTW. I got excited reading about the Oculus Crystal Cove Prototype, so I'm currently trying to combine the Oculus Rift sensors with a TrackIR camera to add positional tracking. Don't know where this leads to ...

5. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Thanks for all your hard work, rfactor 1-2 are still the best experience on the rift so far for me (lunar flight a close second) :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

6. slingshot

slingshot Registered

Hi Vittorio thanks for all of your work on this.
    I have not driven on rFactor for some time.

Could you please link me to the exact things to install and the sequence for the latest Rift implementation?
    I have been reading thru the threads, but I see there were a couple versions. And I have never used the other programs that are required.

I have been using the Rift on iRacing for about a month now. I have not run any official races with it, but lots of practice with other humans.
    I think it is a truly amazing experience. And I was previously using 3 projectors on 32inch wide screens which I thought was the greatest.

Also could you share your advice on proper Video Card settings and the settings on the rift unit?
    I am going to do a clean Win7 and rFactor2 install on a SSD and keep iRacing on its own Win7 SSD

Thanks,
    Joe

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Hi slingshot! I know that the installation is a challenge for people new to rfactor2 and/or never used tridef. rFactor2 by itself is a very complex software. The installation instructions aren't the best either, they require to have advanced knowledge of rfactor2 and tridef. I will write new step by step instructions with more explanations, but it will take some time.

Briefly, I recommend following order:

1) Install rfactor2. If you are new to rfactor2 get first used to it without the Rift for some time: Installing your racing hardware like wheel. Assigning buttons to your wheel. Installing new components like new cars and tracks. Get used to cockpit view, change seat position and height. Get used to the HUD. Get familiar with the player.PLR file for advanced parameters.

2) Install the plugin Rf2Rift V2.0, it's the most advanced version. See this post: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools?p=223865&viewfull=1#post223865 Follow the "rFactor2 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin installation" instructions. The plugin is needed to get smooth and fast headtracking with the Rift in rfactor2. Start a race or practice in rfactor2 in 2D (without Tridef) to check that it is working. You should have smooth headtracking now. But everything is still in 2D, you need Tridef for 3D.

3) Setup your display configuration to clone mode. (For NVIDIA use the NVIDIA Control Panel and "Set up multiple displays"). The Rift display should show the same as your monitor.

4) Install the latest Tridef and the latest TriDef 3D Oculus Rift Add-on (I see there is now a newer version). See this Tridef thread where to get it, how to install it and usage: http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907 (but ignore the Game notes for rfactor2 in the Tridef thread). If the installation was successful you now have the Rift typical 3D barrel view in rfactor2.

5) Change the Tridef 3D settings by following "Tridef beta installation and settings" part of the instructions (http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools?p=223865&viewfull=1#post223865) The changes are needed to have better 3D and most important that Tridef doesn't do the headtracking. The Rf2Rift plugin should do the headtracking (it's better), not Tridef.

6) You should now be able to race in rfactor2 with the Rift. You should have smooth and fast headtracking (Rf2Rift plugin does work). Good 3D in the Rift (Tridef and the TriDef 3D Oculus Rift Add-on are working). Nothing should feel strange, otherwise troubleshooting is needed:
    6.1) The headtracking doesn't work even without using Tridef. -> Did you install the plugin correctly? Did you remove TrackIR_rF2_Plugin.dll?
    6.2) The headtracking doesn't work anymore or only partly after installing Tridef -> You have to set HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! in Tridef otherwise Tridef tries to do the headtracking.
    6.3) I don't have the HMD options in the Tridef OSD menu -> Install the TriDef 3D Oculus Rift Add-on.
    6.4) I don't get the Rift typical barrel view in Tridef. -> Did you install the TriDef 3D Oculus Rift Add-on? In Tridef 3D Control Panel change Manufacturer to "Oculus VR (Experimental)" and Model to "Oculus Rift (1280x800)"
    6.5) The headtracking is scaled wrong. E.g. looking 90° left doesn't result in looking 90° left. -> Check that you made all player.PLR changes correctly (Angle parameters).
    6.6) My view vibrates -> Check that you made all player.PLR changes correctly (Vibration parameters).
    6.7) When braking my view changes -> Check that you made all player.PLR changes correctly.
    6.8) My view changes when driving into a corner -> Check that you made all player.PLR changes correctly (Exaggerate Yaw parameter)
    6.9) When rotating my head the view is distorted. -> Check that you have set FOV in Tridef and FOV in rfactor2 correctly.
    6.10) The yaw angle is drifting -> Follow "Oculus SDK v0.2.5 installation" in the instructions and calibrate your Rift (at the same place you are using it for racing).

Advanced settings:
    7) For racing (especially online racing) it is important to see stuff like yellow, blue flags and the HUD. Follow "rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD installation" in the Rf2Rift installation instructions.
    8) Improve headtracking latency (and input lag):
    8.1) High FPS is important to have low latency. If you don't have high FPS, change your display settings in rfactor2 ("shadows" and "environment reflections" settings have most impact on FPS. I recommend to set environment reflections = off)
    8.2) Use 1280x800 resolution in rfactor2 graphics settings
    8.3) Don't use VSYNC. Not in rfactor2 and not in your graphics card configuration
    8.4) Never use "windowed mode" in rfactor2 graphics settings, it adds a lot of latency
    8.5) Make sure the Rift display is the clone source. (avoids tearing too)
    8.6) Set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1 in NVIDIA 3D settings. (I don't have AMD, but for AMD graphics cards the equivalent setting is "flip queue size". It can be changed via Radeonpro.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  8. slingshot

slingshot Registered

Thanks Vittorio,

I will try to do this in the next couple days.
    I did use rF2 for a couple months last year, and I do remember it was quite a dance getting everything setup correctly.
    I had a good time driving it, I only switched to iRacing because of racing real humans.

Someone recently told me that there is a way to race real humans in rF2 now not just AI
    so I want to try it again. And also I have heard that rF2 actually looks better on the Rift than iRacing does.

Thanks Again,
    Joe

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi vittorio

have you ordered a DK2 ??

it will be good news if you have :)

also obviously with this rf2 plugin we still have the ability to choose our own preferred fov ? (from rf2 UI options)

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Hi!

Yes, I successfully ordered DK2 20min after the announcement and will build a new V3.0 plugin immediately when I get it, or earlier in case other rF2 users get their DK2 before me. :)

Yes, but graphics is Tridef's part. So Tridef needs to support DK2 too, but I'm very confident they will.

11. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Hi mates, I want to ask you, is it possible to drive with a DK1? I mean with its resolution, I´m thinking buy one (second hand) while I wait to CK1.

12. Adrian

Adrian Registered

It is certainly possible but not something you'd use if you were racing somewhere you wanted to win. If you could get a DK1 for cheap then I'd recommend it even if it was just to train your body to accept VR without getting sick (VR legs) before the consumer one comes out.

13. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Thx Adrian; but you say "...not something.. to win". Is this for the low resolution?

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the dk1 is very low resolution -great for a demo just to show the effectiveness of VR ,

the dk2 might just be good enough to be the minimum acceptable resolution as a temporary solution whilst we're waiting for the consumer version.

hold out for the dk2 it's only around 4 months ( if yr as impatient as me then I'll feel your pain )

15. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Few months ago, I can try a DK1, but not with rFactor (or other racing game/simulator), only some demos and after that I love the VR. But my fear is I cannot drive fast using RV, I don´t know if a HMD is useful to compete in sims. (I hope so..)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  16. Adrian

Adrian Registered

The only thing that makes it hard to be fast in VR atm (for me) is the low resolution making picking brake markers hard. After a small adjustment period I've found i'm around 1-2 seconds a lap slower than with triple screens. With the DK2 (1080p) and higher resolutions I think driving will be fine and also I think my racecraft will be better in VR than on triple screens.

17. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Another question mates, do you feel the virtual arms like your real ones?

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I'm not quite sure. But it breaks immersion if virtual and real wheel distance is different or virtual and real arms aren't in same position - so yes, maybe the brain thinks that virtual arms are the real ones.

And it's good we get developer Rifts, because now I know that my racing seat (which I will buy soon, with a motion sim) needs to be very adjustable so I can simulate a good range of different seating positions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Yes. It is awesome. If dk1 has better resolution, i wouldn´t sell it. But I think i will not buy dk2 for now. Will wait for consumer version.

20. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I think we're getting more driver animations (i.e. feet) soon so that should help too. I notice the lack of leg movement more than my arms not completely lining up. In VR I think its going to be the smaller things that add a lot to how it feels, like if the driver was a separate physics object in the car and if the race suit had cloth physics, stuff like that.