Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Have you made the changes to the player file? Check the first post. It took me a while to get everything configured right but it makes a huge difference. Make sure the rotation works like it should, turning your head 180 degrees in real life should turn the same distance in the game. And make sure you are using the newest version of the plugin, drift really ruined things for me.

Check your FPS also, if you are not near 100 you need to go to town on those graphic settings. :D

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, and make sure the FOV is set right too.
    Good values are:
    Tridef:
    * HMD->Force FOV: Both
    * HMD->Output FOV: 100
    * HMD->Game FOV: 95
    And in rfactor2:
    * SETTINGS->DISPLAY->VERTICAL FOV: 95

When moving your head there shouldn't be any distortions. Everything should look real.

I like the open topped a lot too. But did you ever race at night e.g. in the ISI Corvette at Nordschleife? This is soooo awesome and real. I almost had tears in my eyes. Cars behind you lighten your cockpit, you get reflections on your windshield ... awesome. I feel like driving in a real car at night. The URD Endurance GT are great too with version Rf2Rift_2_0_test4.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Rf1Rift V2.0 test1 (Plugin for rfactor1)

I've ported Rf2Rift_2_0_test4 to rfactor1. If someone wants to do early tests, here it is.
    (Attention, this is a rFactor1 plugin, not rFactor2!)

Rf1Rift V2.0 test1 (for rfactor1) installation and usage

Assuming your rFactor1 installation dir is: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor

rFactor1 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin installation

• Download Rf1Rift_2_0_test1.zip (see Attachments) and extract
    • Copy the file Rf1Rift_2_0_test1.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\Plugins
    • Remove the file C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\Plugins\rFactorTrackIRPlugin.dll to avoid a conflict (keep a backup)
    Change following settings in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\UserData\yourdrivername\yourdrivername.PLR:

Glance Rate="200.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing
    Look Up/Down Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Lookahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Head Rotation="1.00000" // Additional head physics multiplier affecting rotation only
    Exaggerate Yaw="0.00000" // Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve "feel")

Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation

rFactor1 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin usage

I assume you have Tridef beta with Oculus Rift support installed (see Tridef beta installation and settings below). Using the latest Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1 version is important. (Versions prior 3.7.7 Beta1 don't work with Rf1Rift).

The "Look Down" key is used to recenter the headtracker. Assign it to a button on your wheel so it is easily accessible:
    In rfactor1 go to CUSTOMIZE->SETTINGS->Advanced control settings->MAPPINGS and assign "Look Down" to a button on your wheel.

Oculus SDK v0.2.5 installation

Only use Rf1Rift V2.0 if you have calibrated your Rift using OculusConfigUtil.exe in the Oculus SDK v0.2.5. (you have to update the firmware, calibrate your Rift and enable mag yaw correction in OculusConfigUtil.exe)
    Oculus SDK v0.2.5 is available at: https://developer.oculusvr.com/

Tridef beta installation and settings

Follow http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907 for installation.

These settings are known to provide good results (using Tridef 3D V5.10 and Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1):

rFactor 1:
    • CUSTOMIZE->SETTINGS->Advanced display settings->VERTICAL FOV: 95
    Tridef (use key 0 on the numeric keypad to get access to the Tridef settings, navigate and change via numkey cursor keys and 5):
    • 3D->Scene Depth: 50
    • 3D->Custom Focus: On
    • 3D->Near Plane: 0
    • 3D->Far Plane: 100
    • HMD->World Scale: 0.06
    • HMD->Force FOV: Output
    • HMD->Output FOV: 100
    • HMD->OSD Depth: 0.50
    • HMD->OSD on HMD: On
    • HMD->Output Quality: High
    • HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! Restarting rfactor1 after setting this is needed!
    History
    • 25.01.2014: Added installation instructions for Rf1Rift V2.0 test1

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  4. elbo

elbo Registered

Damn,
    plugin was working great yesterday, now today i get no head tracking.
    I haven't changed a thing.
    The headtracking works in the oculusSDK calibration and if I put back trackIR it works with opentrack.
    But if I remove trackIR and put back RF2Rift_0_2.dll I get nothing. Tested without tridef and still no head tracking.
    At a complete loss here.
    All other plugins I have (trackmap, ivibe, motec) load fine.
    Tried a reboot to no avail.
    ???

5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sorry elbo I don't know. You didn't accidentally installed Rf1Rift_2_0_test1.dll (which is for rfactor1)? (as you said you didn't change anything). You don't have Opentrack running in the background? Maybe there is a (until now unknown) problem on the initialization process of the Rift in the plugin? If you can't find the cause I could attach a verbose debug version to get some informations.

6. Adrian

Adrian Registered

[MENTION=4386]vittorio[/MENTION] So far the RF1 plugin seems to work perfectly, thanks heaps, now I can pretty much get rid of opentrack.

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Great to hear Adrian!

8. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Didn't occur to me to try night driving, it sounds terrifying. :D

I did try rain but the resolution is to low to really see rain drops properly.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi Vittorio,
    no, I double checked and I did not install rf1 by mistake (thanks for making that available by the way).
    I tried all iterations of your plugin versions for RF2 and got no success from any of them.
    I will try a full uninstall/reinstall of rfactor2 to see if that solves it I guess.

thanks

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Befor you do a reinstall could you please try this debug version in the attachment? It will generate a file rfactor2\Rf2RiftDebug.txt. Could you please post the content of this textfile? It should look like this:

-STARTUP- (version 1.342)
    --STARTSESSION--
    Init Rift
    pManager OK
    pHMD OK
    Found Rift tracker
    ---ENTERREALTIME---
    Oculus Rift is ready.
    ---EXITREALTIME---
    --ENDSESSION--
    -SHUTDOWN-

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Thanks Vittorio,
    I will give this a go and post the results.
    I won't however be able to get around to it before the weekend.

12. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Night driving was indeed awesome. Try Essington Park at night, the finish straight is really trippy.

13. davidmi58

davidmi58 Registered

You sir, are a genius!
    Tried this with RFactor 1 and it is fabulous! Tracking is dead on. Very responsive. Much better than opentrack IMHO.
    Thanks for all your hard work. Now all of us poor gamers who have not been able to purchase the new version yet can enjoy the fruits of your labors.
    Wonderful experience.

14. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi Vittorio,
    Results are;

-STARTUP- (version 1.342)
    --STARTSESSION--
    Init Rift
    pManager OK
    pHMD OK
    Unable to find Rift
    ---ENTERREALTIME---
    ---EXITREALTIME---
    --ENDSESSION--
    -SHUTDOWN-

all other rift related programs (i.e. the SDK and opentrack) recognize that the rift is present.

regards,
    elbo

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Hi Elbo!

This surprises a bit, I thought maybe one of your installed plugins would use the camera too but that's not the case. Do you really have set in tridef?:
    * HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! Restarting rfactor2 after setting this is needed!
    (can't be, you said even without tridef there's no headtracking ..)

and no other application (in the background) uses the headtracker? you checked already.

I'm going to look if there's a problem in the initialisation of the headtracker, thanks for posting Rf2RiftDebug.txt

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  16. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi again,
    Tri-def, double checked that hmd is off, and to confirm even without tri-def there is no head-tracking.
    Pretty sure nothing is occupying the rift.
    I remove pretty much every plugin during testing to make sure none were interfering. Will now try a re-install and see if that works.
    Thanks for you patience and help.

-elbo

17. 22raoulduke

22raoulduke Registered

Just registered to say thankyou vittorio, great work :D

18. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

I've put in a ton of hours now, it feels very natural. Only improvement I would like is in the HUD department. Not sure how to solve that in the best way though.

Has anyone tried the rf1 plugin with game stock car? Apparently it accepts some rf1 plugins.

19. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

Is there any chance you could explain what is needed and the correct sequence for getting everything working in rF1?

Or is it the same as the instructions for rF2?

20. elbo

elbo Registered

Vittorio,
    Solved my problem, I uninstalled and reinstalled Tri-def and it did the trick. Somehow Tri-def was occupying the rift even after the program was shutdown. I noticed this after a system reboot and going into rfactor directly, the tracking was working.

Ctuchik, Using a combo of fazerbox's trackmap and glovePIE and the Hud that Vittorio built I can manage most of the info I need for racing. Its not perfect but it helps. Through glovepie I call up and shut down the map to monitor traffic on track, and also use it to toggle HUD info on and off. Did a few runs at Spa like you suggested in the F1RFT mod....yeah it kicks, also I'm really liking your suggestions of playing with contrast and saturation, it really helps the view and makes things so much better despite the lack of resolution.