Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

This seems to be a Tridef<->rF2 problem. Why is it that some get a black screen? I tried all HDR/FXAA combinations and never get a black screen. Same for all Sync options. Is it a display driver version <->Tridef problem? (I'm using nvidia 320.18). I know I had this problem with some older Tridef versions (and probably other nvidia driver versions) and a selfmade Tridef profile. But now with official rFactor2 support in Tridef this shouldn't happen. Anyone found the cause?

EDIT:
    No problem with latest nvidia 320.48 either.
    I guess everyone has set Performance->Quality: High in Tridef, since this is default. I get black screen and wrong renderings by setting this to Medium.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Adrian

Adrian Registered

The black screen with HDR only happened for me when using the old Tridef profile (RF2 with mirrors) HDR works fine with the official one. Also I found I had to restart the game after turning off the Tridef head tracking options for the plugin to start working.

3. elbo

elbo Registered

I'm now having the head tracking problem,
    It seems tridef does not want to give up control of the rift.
    I start the riftoccupy program, then tridef, then rfactor and nothing, I don't get the rift is ready message.
    If I start the riftoccupy and then rfactor with out tridef then the rift tracking works.
    It was working perfectly with tridef, I didn't change anything that I know of and it has stopped working.
    I'm at a lost here, don't know how to make it work again.

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Did you wait 15 seconds after starting rfactor2 out of tridef before enter race? You will hear a beep after the 15 secs. How long does it take to show the the SERIES-VEHICLE-TRACK-RACE SETTINGS-RACE screen after starting rfactor2 out of tridef, more than 15 sec?

By clicking RACE in the SERIES-VEHICLE-TRACK-RACE SETTINGS-RACE screen, the plugin gets loaded.
    If you click that before 15sec after start (before the beep) the tracker is not available.

If booting tridef and rfactor2 takes longer than 15sec maybe tridef can grab it. Rf2RiftOccupy accepts the first parameter as the time to wait in seconds. Like "Rf2RiftOccuppy.exe 20" waits 20 sec instead the default 15 sec.

5. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Make sure the tridef head tracking settings in the overlay menu thing (num0) are still turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

6. elbo

elbo Registered

They are...everything to off.
    ???

7. elbo

elbo Registered

I hear the beep, wait about 15 secs after the beep then enter the race.
    I wait for the plugin icon to disappear and then I used to get the rift is ready message now I don't see it anymore.
    Pressing look down does not start calibration anymore either.

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

You don't have to wait anymore after you got the beep you only have to wait for the beep (when you get the beep Rf2RiftOccupy released the tracker). It seems rF2+tridef takes more than 15sec to boot on your system so the 15secs aren't enough.

You can adjust the 15sec by creating a shortcut to Rf2RiftOccupy.exe (right click to Rf2RiftOccupy.exe and select "Create shortcut". Then right click to shortcut - select properties and add the time after the shortcut link e.g. C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Rf2RiftOccupy.exe 20 -> waits 20 sec.

(BTW: C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Rf2RiftOccupy.exe 0 -> waits endless. Alt+tabing out of Rf2 and closing Rf2RiftOccupy.exe releases the tracker too)

EDIT: I'm going to ask tridef to not occupy the tracker if switched off. So this complicated mechanism is not needed anymore ..

9. elbo

elbo Registered

OK, thanks, I actually hear the beep while rfactor loads, I will extend the time and see what happens.

10. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Did you get it working elbo?

Man RF2 in a rift is the best gaming experience I've ever had, Modern formula's at Essington, historic cars at Brianza and GT's at lime rock are the best combinations I've found so far.

Also spinning and turning my head to see cars coming towards me through the smoke is just amazing, I can't thank you enough Vittorio :D

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi Adrian,
    Yeah I got it working, the new tridef requires you to save the no head tracking, exit, and then it works. At first I had mis-read your post about this and so went through a bunch of grief for nothing...

I agree it is an amazing experience, I love indy and running side by side, the cars seem so 'solid' and real like you could reach out and feel them. The other effect I am liking is running the F2 with the visor on, the sun reflecting in the visor adds to the 'being there' sensation like nothing I've experienced.

Can you imagine the next iteration of the rift with higher res, that will be just mind blowing as my only complaint is the low res making it difficult to pick brake points (though this is mitigated by the fact that I know the tracks quite well) and sometimes my eyes get fixated on the 'screen door' and it is hard to 'unsee' this.

Trying to learn a new track through the rift would probably be difficult.

like you say Kudos to Vittorio for the plugin and making this possible (because, lets be honest, waiting on ISI to implement this would be an exercise in futility)

12. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi guys,
    During races I get some drift and eventually I am sitting with my head not square to my wheel in order to look directly ahead.
    Is there a way of re-centering the view while driving (not the look down calibration).

thanks,
    -elbo

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Thanks guys I'm happy you enjoy the plugin :D

ATM the only way is to start calibration to re-center. Maybe I should add something like short press "Look Down" = recenter. 1 sec long press "Look Down" = calibration, to not need too many buttons on the wheel?

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

From the Tridef forum (http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18906#p18906):

"Can you update the beta such that, if Head Tracking is disabled in the Profile, you don't grab the Sensor (or even instantiate an HMDDevice, ideally) ?"

"We've fixed that now, so it'll be in the next beta (sometime next week)."

So the next Tridef beta shouldn't need Rf2RiftOccupy.exe anymore.

15. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi guys,
    Just to point out that open track now has a drift correction algorithm. Tried it out in conjunction with tridef and it works really well. After some 20 laps at norisring I was still oriented square to my wheel.
    BTW noristing is an ideal track for the rift, it is surrounded by Armco so the track is easy to see and it has a lot of large easily seen brake point markers. Check it out if you haven't done so yet.

16. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

amazing

hope someone skilled enough could do something like this to kinect merging with oculus rift.

17. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Kinect would be far too slow to work very well. Would need much higher speed cameras to work well and not make you sick.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

18. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Well, since it happens in my life time, i could not be sad with this slow development. I really didn´t expect to see good vr technology in at least 10 years but reactions to Oculus rift is showing to me i was wrong.

Vittorio, could i make some questions in this thread about OR not related to your plugin yet, but to the vr technology itself?
    I´m still waiting for my unit but can help you with feedback when it comes (around october i´m hoping).

19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

20. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Man, just finish reading the 23 pages and must confess: i´m little dizzy :)
    Lot questions answered but i think more will come when i put my hands on OR.
    Didn´t see screen shots in game. I´m curious how they appear specially with helmet view.
    Some questions left:
    How many time, with your plugin and setups, can you play without getting tired or get some dizziness?
    When using h-shifter do you feel uncomfortable about your digital arm not doing the movement?
    Can you reproduce/feel on rift the same distance you have on real world to your wheel? Doesn´t look you have an overstretched arms?
    How does it feel when you try to touch some solid object in virtual world but it fails? I think to racing sim this is not a problem since almost all the time you are holding a solid object witch is represented on screen but i think this could be a lot frustrating in other games and make people feel sick.
    Getting motion sick its my main concern since its not unusual to me in FPS games.

Again, thanks.