Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

For some reason rF2 looks better in the rift than iRacing. Not sure why, iRacings implementation seems pretty perfect. It's certainly a lot easier to get working. Maybe it's because iRacing relies more on high quality textures to look good while rFactor has more shaders/HDR.

Either way racing the historics in the rift is the best experience I've had in rF2 by far. Also the best experience I've had in any racing game, and probably the best gaming experience in the last 10 years or so. :eek:

2. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Ye same experience here. Had a hard time focusing on the track in iRacing. In rFactor 2 it went pretty OK :) Maybe because the grafix are a bit more cartoonish (colors), so you can see better with lower resolution.

3. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

I did quite a bit more racing today with opentrack, and it's been working pretty well. Ocassionally it will start drifting but restarting the tracking seems to solve it. It's not a perfect solution but with a good configuration it allows for some exciting racing. The Clio, Megane and all the historics are a blast to drive on any track that holds a stable FPS through the whole course. I'd recommend Brianza or Poznan.

A new version of the plugin would be great, or even better a proper implementation by ISI so we can stop using Tridef as well.

4. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Not much action in this thread, just wanted to make a quick note: 1960's monaco in the Rift is terrifying. You get so close to the walls and curbs, it's really mindblowing. The kink after the tunnel? I get nervous every lap when it's coming up. I've only tried it in the f3s, can't even imagine doing it in the formula 1s.

5. elbo

elbo Registered

hey Ctuchik,
    I agree, though I run it with the Howston. I think what makes monaco so good with the rift is the resolution limitation. With the rift you can't see anything that is far away but at monaco everything is so close in that it just works. Haven't raced anywhere else but Monaco since I tried it a couple of days back. Oddly enough I also get no lag at all when looking around at this track, usually I take a few seconds to look around after crashing out at that damn kink after the tunnel :rolleyes:

6. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

If I crash after the tunnel I usually end up in the Mediterranean. :D

One thing I noticed is that the colors in the rift are a bit desaturated compared to my main screen. After changing saturation to 140-150% in the catalyst control center it looks a lot better. I also turn of the arms if I use a sequential shifter, makes it too confusing otherwise.

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I made a new plugin version Rf2Rift_2_0_test1 ready to test (see attachment). This version uses the new
    Oculus SDK v0.2.5. So only try/use this version if you have calibrated your Rift with the OculusConfigUtil.exe in the Oculus SDK v0.2.5. (update firmware, calibrate and enable mag yaw correction in the OculusConfigUtil.exe)
    You get Oculus SDK v0.2.5 here: https://developer.oculusvr.com/

In Rf2Rift_2_0_test1 there is no sensor calibration feature anymore (since it is not available in SDK v0.2.5). The "Look Down" key recenters the headtracker.

There is a new (experimental) feature in this plugin version. Version V1.0 already had following mechanism to reduce latency: The FPS gets measured continuously. The resulting frame time (e.g. 50 FPS = 20ms frame time) is used to predict the orientation of the head in the future (e.g. 20ms). This value is now adjustable with the "Look Up" key. With the "Look Up" key you can cycle through following values:
    • Oculus Rift prediction = Off
    • Oculus Rift prediction = Half frame
    • Oculus Rift prediction = One frame
    • Oculus Rift prediction = 1.5 frames
    • Oculus Rift prediction = Two frames
    • Oculus Rift prediction = 20 ms
    • Oculus Rift prediction = 40 ms
    • Oculus Rift prediction = 60 ms
    The default mode is Oculus Rift prediction = One frame.

The new used Oculus Rift prediction mode is shown in the message box (Don't cycle too fast using the key otherwise messages get blocked for some time).
    After some tests I think I prefer two frames on my system. I guess the prefered mode varies on system and user.

EDIT: After a lot more testing it seems drift problems are really gone with SDK v0.2.5.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Another test version Rf2Rift_2_0_test2. This version adds (experimental) neck&head model. You will have to readjust your seat position with this version because of some added height.

EDIT: Added version Rf2Rift_2_0_test3 with optimized neck&head model parameters. With these parameters I see almost no difference when rotating and tilting my head to what I see in real and in the Rift (by glancing out of the Rift and comparing arm, shoulder and wheel positions). But there seems to be one major problem: Some if not most body models in the cars arn't properly sized and are too tall. It seems the camera (=eyes) position is often put some centimeters above the shoulders. Resulting with properly adjusted camera = eye position (by adjusting seat height) so sholders and arms are in correct positions your sitting too high...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  9. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Amazing stuff, I will test this asap! What settings are you using now in Tridef and the player file?

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I'm using Tridef 3D V5.10 and Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1. Since Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1 there is no Rf2RiftOccupy.exe needed anymore, so using this new version is important.

I'm using these settings ATM:

rF2:
    * SETTINGS->DISPLAY->VERTICAL FOV: 95

player.PLR settings as in the first post, additionally:
    Wait For All Plugins To Load="1"

Tridef:
    * 3D->Scene Depth: 50
    * 3D->Custom Focus: On
    * 3D->Near Plane: 0
    * 3D->Far Plane: 100
    * HMD->World Scale: 0.06
    * HMD->Force FOV: Both
    * HMD->Output FOV: 100
    * HMD->Game FOV: 95
    * HMD->OSD Depth: 0.50
    * HMD->OSD On HMD: On
    * HMD->Output Quality: High
    * HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! With this setting no Rf2RiftOccupy.exe is needed anymore. Restarting Tridef after setting this is probably needed.

11. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Initial impressions: Holy **** that's a huge improvement! I don't know if it's the prediction doing it but the tracking is fantastic now. The neck model seems perfect as well.

I had some issues with rF2 still trying to use an old player file even after renaming it, but now it's working. Amazing job on this, you must be a wizard or something. :D

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

LOL - I would love to be a wizard but it's only passion and a lot fun working on it ;) Great to hear first impressions are positive!

13. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Couple of more hours in, it's working really well. Did a full prac+quali+race at laguna seca, no noticeable drift. Laguna is another track that works extremely well with the rift.

I really recommend upping the color saturation in the screen settings, makes a huge difference in visibility and image quality.

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Had some good time at monaco with open wheelers and clio. After a spin with the clio and less room to turn I instinctively decided to chase the AIs in reverse gear till there is more room to turn, something you only can do with the Rift. :cool: Best track for the Rift IMHO is Nordschleife! There are seldom flat sections concentrated on few pixels, it's always up and down. And the best track anyway.

I had no noticeable drift either in ~20 hours testing. Only once at the beginning, but this was because I have calibrated the Rift at my working place first. After I calibrated at my driving position there was no drift anymore. Guess Oculus really solved this problem.

Still there is a lot to do:
    * Getting rid of the added height from the neck&head model. E.g. the seat for the URD Bayro E5 isn't even adjustable to be driveable with neck&head model.
    * Better handling of problems due to the plugin delay time (which ISI won't remove)
    * Better adjustable prediction time. Probably x*frametime+y with x and y adjustable. Low latency is key.
    * Adjustable neck&head parameters.
    * Save parameters.
    * Maybe adding an OSD menu and using the PitMenu Buttons to adjust parameters when OSD is activated.
    * Installation instructions
    * Rf1Rift rfactor1 port

If you find any problems or like to see something get improved please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  15. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

I'm honestly note sure what you should be focusing on, the current implementation is already close to perfect. Almost too good, I spent so much time with it yesterday I had red marks on my face from the goggles. :D

The extra height is a bit weird in some of the cockpits, but is there anything you can do about that? If the models are the wrong size we would just end up looking out of the neck/chest of the model. Feels like something ISI would have to adjust. I'm sure magnetic calibration isn't the end of all drift problems, but so far I have not noticed any. The plugin delay is not a big deal.

Before this version I was not really comfortable driving the faster cars but now I'd say I have roughly the same precision and ability to control the car as on a screen. It also feels like I can correct easier when the car spins sideways, probably because turning my head/eyes into the spin feels so natural now. High FPS is still critical though. 100+ is almost necessary, and I see benefits well over 150.

The tracks I've been driving mostly are:

Laguna Seca. I get close to 200 FPS on here and it drives great. Wide kerbs and easy to find breaking spots, with higher color saturation I have no problems with visibility. Great track to demo for people since many know the layout already.

1960s monaco. This track is just insane in the rift. Drive the 60's f3 here and it's an incredible experience.

Spa, Nuerburg GP, other rf1 conversions. It's easier to overlook the lower quality of these tracks in the rift, and I get great FPS on them. I've been driving the modern F2 mostly, and it works great. I'm pretty sure I'm getting comparable lap times to what I had before. The big front tires look really cool in the rift as well. :D

16. davidmi58

davidmi58 Registered

Got this working in Rfactor 2 demo and it is very cool. Thanks so much to the creator!

Any chance this works in Rfactor1?

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

This plugin won't work in rfactor1, because the plugin interface has changed. I ported V1.0 to rfactor1 but was facing occasional but major stutters and couldn't solve them easily, so I didn't release the rf1 plugin. I will try to port this new version again to rf1 this weekend.

18. davidmi58

davidmi58 Registered

That would be great! I hope you succeed. I would love to try this on RF1. I have lots of content I would like to try and your plugin works so well on RF2.

19. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I had this problem with opentrack and tridef with RF1, a reinstall (of RF1) fixed it. I probably should have tried to fault find but was too lazy :p

20. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Well, I did the ultimate test. Formula ISI on Spa, in the rift. I was using low ABS and TC, but I'm pretty sure I can turn those off now.

Holy **** man. It's the closest thing I'll get to taking an actual formula 1 through eau rouge. The brain almost can't comprehend the awesomeness.