[REL] rF2 Rivals - inspired by Forza 4+ Rival mode

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gerald Jacobson, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

Donwload the last version of rF2GameExtention

Hello,
    I started a new project allowing drivers to fight each other around best laps. It is inspired of the Forza Motorsport 4 Rival mode.

This means that a centralized website will host all best lap with there transparent trainer (ghost) for this lap.

So basically, choose you car and a track, a try to beat your imediate Rival (the one just up to you in the global ranking).

Note: If you use it,like it and want/can, you can Donate to support.

NOTE1: As rFactor2 is moddable, it is easy to cheat this ranking system, so please don't be stupid and immature and don't cheat.

NOTE2: To use this tool, don't forget to activate the Transparent Trainer feature (Best) in rF2 Display setting.
    View attachment 14964

NOTE3: Unitl a fix exists, don't install the console in a path containig space in directory name(s).

Once you have installed the plugin and the console. Launch the console exe.

On the main screen, you need to create an account. Fill the login and password field and click on the "Register" button (Don't worry, your password is not sent in clear throw the network, i use the "Hash/random Salt" method, so even me i will not have access to your password)
    View attachment 14965

Once you are registered, please configure your rF2 install(s) using the browse button (you need to target the "Launch rFactor2.exe" in the launcher directory)

If needed update the plugin & console port (by default all is configured correctly)

Now you can open the Rivals feature by clicking the Rivals button, here what you see
    View attachment 14966

We will look at the second tab later.

The first tab allows you to retrieve the Rival based on your current rF2 player file (player.JSON), so be sure to open rF2 select the correct track and car you want and exist rF2 (to let rF2 update the player.JSON file)
    Now, click on the "Load Rival Data" button, here an exemple on a track where no one have race yet.
    View attachment 14967

Now you can launch rF2 (whithout changing the track and car - or you will need to reclick on the "Load Rival Data" button, after rF2 have updated the player.JSON file)
    Verify on the monitor that the Transparent Trainer have been activated (Don't forget to choose "Best" as mode for it)
    View attachment 14968

If all works, you will see somethiong like this when entering the car. (in this case as there is no Rival yet, the image looks like)
    View attachment 14969

Now, try to beat your rival (or create the reference time if you are the first :))
    Once you beat the rival (or create the reference time if you are the first), you HUD will look like this:
    View attachment 14970

You can continue to try to enhance you best lap (now the Ghost is your best lap), and as you want the system persist your lap, exit to the rF2 Main menu.
    So, you will see messages showing you that your lap is currently persisted
    View attachment 14971

Once your lap is persisted (you will see this message: [rF2Rivals] Lap recorded, good job!), the console will reload automatically Rival Data, and once this is done, you will have this kind of message:
    View attachment 14972

If you are not exausted, you can click Race and try to beat this new Rival.

Finally the Rival Console window, have a second tab allowing you to see the global rank for a given Track/Vehicle Class.
    View attachment 14973

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I loooooove it!!!!

Does it automatically disable real road and time scale, and set a standard amount of pre-set rubber, and a standard session start time?

That is the only way to do a proper hot-lap competition with rF2 in my opinion due to all those features making a difference to laptimes.

3. Gerald Jacobson

I cannot lock this, but i can a button in the console to update the Player.JSON, and check inside the plugin if the Player.JSON setting is correct (else i disable the rival plugin)

But ok to define a fixed start time, but what is the best way for realroad.

Using a pre-set rubber force me to create a rubber for every existing track (not the best think to support the tool - need manual work each time a new track is released) -> using fixed green rubber is not good too.
    So, does someone have a good idea to have a locked correct rubber ?

Thank.

Remember for now, it is the first release too have feed back, etc... i will enhance the tool to reach, i hope, a usefull hotlap tool.

4. wurmsarah667

wurmsarah667 Registered

I love it too.... its a great idea

but if i choose my shortcut on the desktop it gives an error

Could not find a part of the path
    C:\users\xxx\Desktop\Core\data.path

but when i make a copy of the shortcut and take this in the Game folder it works .... because there is the core\data.path

5. Gerald Jacobson

At which step did you got an error?

Do you have a space in your xxxxx username ?

6. wurmsarah667

wurmsarah667 Registered

when i click on the Rivals Button .... but only when i choose the shortcut from the Desktop

No Space in the User name .

7. Gerald Jacobson

You need to choose the shortcut in the installation directory, not the shortcut created in the desktop to ease launch of rf2

8. wurmsarah667

wurmsarah667 Registered

there was no shortcut in my installation folder . only on desktop . but now i have one (copied)

but anyways thx

9. Gerald Jacobson

First post edited. Thanks

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

He he you are machine ;) Thx!
    I will come back with feedback after I earned some experiences with the new tool.

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

Hi Gerald, awesome work once again.

I've two things to mention after my initial test.
    -Choosing anything from the tuning menu produces the warning "Wrong vehicle class or tack, disabled"
    --To clarify, I chose the Skip Barber with national tires, exit game, load rivals, enter game and without changing anything I then enter the track, then the warning appears. Regional tires are fine.

-The first time I attempted to do some laps, everything appeared as per instruction but the laps were not being written so I only have the message: 'No rival, too easy!"
    -- I quit out and re-read instruction (thinking I had missed something), but changed nothing. I went back in game and it worked perfectly. I mention this as I'm not sure if something was not created the first time I did the laps?

I'm very excited to see this mature over time and already it is a great tool for us, so thank you very much!

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Most tracks come with a pre-set rubber (light rubber, I think it's called). We can just manually make sure to set it, I guess, and with realroad set to static.

Other than that people are just going to get 30 A.I.s out and get them to lap for 3 hours (in-game time) in order to get as much rubber as possible.

If there's no way to force it through the plugin maybe you can manually define it in the program, with a note beside each track or something? There's got to be something we can do about this.

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I do not have rFactor2.lnk file in the game directory. My install path is F:\rfactor2_880. Does the game extension require a default directory install?

Searching for *.lnk files does not locate the required shortcut file on my hard drive.

14. matf1

matf1 Registered

Nope whitmore, just create a shortcut from the rfactor2.exe

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

15. Gerald Jacobson

Ok. Though this link was existing on every installation. I will change the file to choose (will use the "Launch rFactor2.exe" instead).

Additionally, i need your help :)

I search the way to retrieve the exact Vehicle Class that the game will send to my plugin. Actually, i did not manage it correctly when the vehicle class is hosted by an upgrade (tuning) like for skipbarber (Serie: National, Regional)
    Which file i need to read and in which order ? (player.Json, Game description CCH, etc????)

Thank you.

Actually i only read the player.JSON to find the VEH to use, then read the Category entry, and also read the Upgrades entry to look if there is a DisplayClassOverride.

But this method does not handle use case like skipbarber.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  16. matf1

matf1 Registered

Bad news I'm afraid. I've just done a file content search on userdata folder after a lap in the national. Nothing appears except results xml.

17. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you have a look into the Results xml files, these informationes should be there.

<UpgradeCode>00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000</UpgradeCode>
    <VehName>skipbarber #05</VehName>
    <CarType>skipbarber 2010</CarType>
    <CarClass>Skip_Barber_Regional</CarClass>

18. Gerald Jacobson

I found "Series" in the CCH file, for skipbarber it is the first number, but i would like to have the general rule, else i will fix it for SkipBarber and not for another car.

I don't want to use result file, as it is a result file and not a configuration file.

19. redapg

redapg Registered

But the result file is the only file that contains the wanted informations i would say. :)

20. Gerald Jacobson

No, a way exist from config files as rF2 remember your choice. Many informations are in the MAS files, so not visible with a simple windows search.