rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

I cannot agree with the "physics only" argument. I've had a few people try rFactor 2 on my rig, some people who are interested in racing, and some who just want to try it, or to test if it's realistic or not.
    More times than not, they say it's not very realistic, and it's because of graphics. Not that they are not good enough, not that there is enough eye candy, but mainly because it's hard to see, it's hard to judge whats really happening in front of you, it's not clear enough. and I always have to explain that the engine is not optimized yet, and there are many things that aren't implemented.
    Someone mentioned to me that they cannot race with other cars on the track because the shadows disappear, giving the illusion the cars far enough in front are floating, and creating a distraction, because it's unnatural.

This is not from my own experience, yet I'd agree. These are merely outside perspectives, and mostly people who drive for the majority of their day.
    Am I really worried about having stupidly incredible graphics? not really, but is a bonus, yet there are certainly many thing in this sim which need addressing, otherwise, it will continue to be the same thing I experience every night online (times when im free to race). EMPTY.

Graphics are essential, and though I can agree there are games that create these super bloomed ultra kiddy graphics, which can be a bit of a foul-play in people's perspective, I also think it's not fair to shut down other's opinions based on the sim they WANT to succeed.

The way this sim is going, and has gone, it seems a little too early for this thread to be so full. Who knows, maybe were just jumping the gun and not giving ISI enough patience for them to really pull things together.

I want a sim to be as realistic as possible, I feel good about really dominating the track when I can look back and think "YEAH! I DID THAT!!" The reason I would even post here is because I DO have faith in this product, and want to see the best come.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I cant disagree in anything in here..

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

^ ummmmm OK

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

OK, FOR F. SAKES.

ISI ARE YOU LISTERNING I AM SHOUTING!!!
    PLEASE HALT ALL DEVELOPMENT NON GRAPHIC RELATED.
    YOU NEED TO FIX THE GRAPHICS TO BE ON PAR WITH AC ATLEAST OR AS GOOD AS PCARS. YES THE GOOD PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND AND CANNOT WAIT, FOR OVER A YEAR ITS BEEN WINGE WINGE GRAPHICS BLAH BLAH PCARS NNNAAA NNAAA.

The people cannot grasp the idea that all the planed dynamic content and features are still not finished.
    They don't get its labourous task to update the graphics each time another planed dynamic feature is added.
    They don't understand its more efficient to work on graphics after all content components are finalized.

Tim your going to have to shut them up with something, through them a bone, tell them you don't plan on focusing on the graphics till a date or certain stage.

I read this and I just want to throw a tomatoe at so many threads and posts, I cant even be bothered reading much anymore cos of what its become here.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Then I would hold those peoples opinions with no credibility at all, racing teams including F1, militaries, flight industry etc all use decent "good enough graphics", we are simulating the vehicle dynamics of a racing automobile, and simulating operating that vehicle using a wheel, pedals and shifter, just like a professional sim, judging the simulation based on graphics means you don't understand the point of a racing car simulation, plus, you can adjust FOV, screen size, screen distance, in game seating/cam position etc. all to help with making the viewing part "feel" more real, and the FOV, screen size, screen distance, in game seating/cam position etc. etc. are all what really helps with realism, not things like better sunlight effects, nicer shadows, reflection on exhaust flames etc.

It's the physics, and how the user/player operates those physics using a wheel, pedals and shifter, that we are simulating here, just like all real simulators' (including industrial ones) BY FAR focus on, not on better shaders, blurring the background during replays, stupid hand animations and crap like that. Those are only things added to make the game look more nice in order to sell and attract more customers.

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

this is not a BETA anymore anyways. Its already RF2.
    This is wut ISI have churned out. This is it guys.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

But this isn't a professional simulator, it's a game, it's in the gaming market, people who will see this online to buy when the marketing kicks in will want what they want....graphics up to standard being just one of them.
    I agree to get the best physics you may need to compensate in other areas, graphics included, but this is 2013 and we have powerful enough pcs to handle better graphics with those better physics....that's what the buying public will want from a game.

Fyi graphics are not my main concern (sound engine is!) and I'm quite happy with the graphics as they are, but it's doesn't mean I don't want better I just don't think it's important for me.

I have something else to say but will save it for a pm if anyone care as I may upset someone lol

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

To be fair that's all many people like myself are asking for. A little communication as to the roadmap of this game we are supporting by paying for in advance.

It's the least we should expect and I'm sorry to say but ISI are very poor in this regard.

I don't think anyone seriously expects graphics to be the priority early in any game's development, but they should be at some point and I'd like to know if and when that time will come.

100% agreed.

This game isn't a professional simulator, it's meant to be a home simulator, competing in the same space as the likes of Assetto Corsa, pCARS, etc...

Simulations are a niche market already so I would suggest graphics are important if this game is to compete in a small marketplace.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Being a part of this beta & knowing how software titles always seem delayed,

I think it must be a frustrating job working in software development, at a guess ISI perhaps really don't know how long something will take, I think it must be the case of just fire fighting & eliminating various little problems when implementing a new feature within the software.

Frustrating for us beta testers too lol

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No.

Look at this post: LINK

11. Jize

Jize Registered

this. it is the same thing over there in pcars forum. people constantly whining about no good physics. here is whining about no good graphics. both games are in development and in an relatively early stage. give the devs the chance to make it right.
    the one thing ISI makes better than SMS is that they don't comment on every little whine. so should SMS.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Where are you Tim? you haven't been around for awhile!
    Are you cooking some sweet for us!:p

13. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

Probably working on something important :) .

On a more serious note, he might not be commenting because this is the internet and everything he says can an will be used against him^^.

Send from mobilphone

14. Jize

Jize Registered

or just because he got tired to write the same thing over and over again ^^

15. Niko

Niko Registered

we are also tired to write the same thing. the beta is older than 1 year now.

16. frankwer

frankwer Registered

ISI is probably working on the Pro version of rFactor 2, which have even worse graphics, but then again the real Formula type drivers don`t mind.

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

Yes the old content will be fixed and there was information of updating and an art pass I think.
    However when they bring out new content and features wont they constantly be going back to updating the same components.

Anyway I'd be glad if they would just say or confirm : were only going to do small tweaks to graphics for now and then overhaul them later when we have all graphic effecting components built in till then we'ed have to put up with what we got.

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, this is one important aspect - backwards compatibility.
    As long as rF2 is not "official", they can tweak graphics and cause older mods to look broken. When it's "gold", they're not supposed to do that. New functionality can be added, old functionality can be extended, bugs can be fixed, but mods that worked fine in one version should work just the same in next.

Except maybe for bugs that may cause problems. Bugs may be fixed, but there should be no design changes that will force modders to constantly update their work.
    This is the kind of "gold" version modders are waiting for.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

...and by the time this Gold Version comes along AC will be at v1.0 and modders will have to decide between the two, thats when a rift might happen with mod teams switching back and forth. Good for us of course, more choice is great, just a tad worried if one games modding is significantly better than the others then everyone jumps ship to just one of the two...that would suck!

20. Jize

Jize Registered

i cant imagine how ac is moddable. the graphics seem so good that i wonder how modded content will look like