Renault Clio physics is wrong

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benoityip, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Can you explain in detail this consideration ? for consistency, clear.

Ciao Nik

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have my friend that had did the GTAccademy Finals this year and he drove the GTR GT1 and he said that the GTR has a lot of grip and it is very easy to drive and when he drove the rF2 GTR he was very dissapointed!

3. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

sin,
    I thought you had a direct experience.

ciao Nik

4. perplex

perplex Registered

GT Acadamy was just all about 370z. drivers only driven nissans 370z, so far i know... even the finals are raced with 370z.

ur friend :) aye

5. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Watched the GT Academy show, not sure which season but they were driving the GTR. Think it was the production car and not a race version though. Absolutely possible that they were in GTR GT1 in the latest season.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Another case where an ameteur racing driver allows their ego to build up to a big enough level where they go stating what is wrong and what is right, as if their opinion and experiences are the final word, as if they have driven every kind of car, on the ragged edge of grip, with every kind of setup.

I mead the OP could have atleast said something like "hmm, interesting, this car handles much differently, in my experiences, than the car I have raced" and not, "This car is wrong, I know I am right because my completely different car doesnt seem to do this".

These are all regarding FWD lift-oversteer, unless otherwise stated...

- "My TT oversteers some. On the track if I needed a little help bringing it around a corner I'd just hop off the gas or touch the brake a little to bring the back around some. That was with bigger tires in the back too. I'm on stock suspension btw.You just have to be cornering real hard, somewhere around the limit."

- Person A. "My car will actually power on oversteer! After I installed the diff, a moderate to sharp corner at part throttle will envoke a very unexpected tail slide. Anyone else ever experience this?"
    Person B. "Same, with a Peloquin LSD too, i can hang the back end out on the throttle in a sharp corner."

- "My old Integra Type R oversteered pretty easily if I went too fast into a corner."

- "My CRX would snap oversteer so fast it was unreal - sometimes even ON the throttle if there was a bump or you got a cone with the inside rear tire or something. I've autocrossed a lot of cars, and a hotted-up FWD is always scarier (and harder to control) than a well tuned RWD, because the oversteer is lightning fast in the FWD. Pretty much any car will oversteer if provoked. However, as far as FWDs that naturally do it, I was instructing at an autocross school once and a student had a Toyota Matrix XRS(? - the ~180hp version). He asked me to drive it for a run, and it was nuts but that car oversteered the whole frickin' course!

- "My driving instructor at Watkins Glen had an Audi CGT and he took me out for a session. We were deep into a corner pretty hot when he lifted off the throttle and didn't tell me [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] of course it probabally wasn't as severe as it felt in my seat, but man, was that scary"

- "My auto-x CRX would spin violently in sharp turns if I didn't slow down enough before-hand and had to get on the brake fast to avoid eating cones or courseworkers."

- Person A. "oversteer happy fwd cars can be pretty tough to handle...especially when your cornering at the limit and have a mid corner abstruction or have to slow down because of the douche in front of you. Knowing how to slow down mid corner at the limit is the difficult part....everything has to be smooth."
    Person B. "I found this out on at least one occasion in my Mk1 GTI... sudden, hard braking mid-corner, even a big lift when the suspension is loaded would induce a pucker-moment. That sucker would swap ends in an instant if you're not smooth and delicate on the controls."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thing is you could say the same about two professional drivers, one would say a car is too understeery whilst the other says thats balanced, one would say its mid corner grip is best whilst the other would say corner exit grip is!

All very subjective this "how it feels" discussion as at the end of the day unless you're an actual Clio Cup Racer you have NO idea how it should properly feel to drive the car...let alone at the limit, same with the GTR/1960s/F1 etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Best thing for game devs to do is get feedback direct from the racing series just as ISI did with the F2s, but even then sat behind your monitor its never gonna "feel" the same but you can get it close to a point where the devs can say "that'll do!"

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Odp: Renault Clio physics is wrong

Of course, but you didn't mention how many seconds he was slower in that GT1 spec car, compared to professional drivers.

You know, it's very easy to get to the limit of a car in a simulator.. but not that easy in real life, especially if you've been given a car worth more than half a milion Euro, to drive just several laps ;)

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This. I didn't see any GT1 car in GT Academy. Me thinks someone is being fooled. :p

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

exactly :)

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Which is what he said, wasn't it?

I'm sure not every car handles the way you will want it to. :)

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I believe that was a GT4 class, not GT1? In any case, I've driven a Dodge Viper, it was easy, but I was nowhere near the limit. Put me in a simulator, I am closer to that limit. :)

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yep you are right Tim!it was thr 370z GT4 class and the GTR tuned,not the GT1!

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah, wouldn't it be too risky to put an amateur in a gt1?

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was there but I don't know if they have used it!I will contact my friend again and ask him!

16. Maug

Maug Registered

This is the car they've used this year.

17. benoityip

benoityip Registered

Sorry to confuse you guys, what I said originally was wrong after checking many youtube videos, cilo does oversteer easily, properly the french style, and not the japanese style

I do check clio cup documentation and confirm rfactor spring rate is correct, but the ride height of 190mm at the back just does not make sense. I have no idea how ride height is being measured in rfactor. Ride height does affect weight distribution and thus handling slightly

[​IMG]

The reason I don't like oversteer is my driving style is very late braking into apex (in real life and game), this lift off steering forces me to change my driving style, so that I have to brake earlier..and get on the throttle earlier..

I just let you know I push quite hard with my real car, and the time is comparable to a professional, so I can feel the game quite easily

I have done lift off steering in my real car, what I have found is street tyres are much more easy to do lift off oversteering than my semi slicks. My street tyres (Bridgestone RE002) will lose grip slowly during my sliding, very easy to control. However, my Semi-slicks (R888) lost grip quite suddenly and produce a grinding sound..In raining, my car actually slide off the track

Anyway, I have to test rfactor 2 on the wet as well, what I have found in gtr2 and rfactor1 is racing in the rain is too easy. In real life, my back end of the car slides so easily... you do not need to do lift off oversteering. Every tyre got different traction, so I tend set up my own real car more neutral, setting the car to oversteer in the wet is suicdial..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Ride height in rF2 can be fairly confusing, it is that with rF1 also at least for me. I attach ISI's document about it for rF1 so you can see for yourself.

However I'm still struggling with it, should I put real ride height or should we set car's body so that bottom of it is 0 and fiddle with ride height to have it correct as when putting real values in and setting car's body according to graph it does not deliver correct visuals at least?

Currently I have such opinion that I set ride height according to car's specs if just can find correct measurements (often from oilpan and axle and those won't do), then adjustments in max to match.

Ride height itself is complicated because if you change suspension travel and CG height accordingly it's effect is probably only for aero.

CG height is defined from rideheight so real world CG height is more by amount of ride height than what you see in Clio hdv.

edit: Oh yes, wet conditions are WIP AFAIK, so don't draw too strong conclusions what ever is going to happen on wet as of yet, tire model itself is not quite complete, there is for example contact patch load which needs attention and as you can understand that can have some quite large effects to handling, or then not, if it is already doing it's job relatively closely correct manner, we can't know that, so it is bit of a waiting game still.
    I do imagine that load effects on grip will change in future, but that is just my impression.

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Here is footage from real Clio cup car, in related videos there are more, I just found that there are such videos too, usually I just end up to weird part of youtube :D

20. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Huu... I don't understand everything :p