Quick dev update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 7, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Use sim racing as an example. How many:
    1. Have a forum.
    2. Have it public.
    3. Allow negative comments without banning.

Not many. :)

I don't think you can compare with a company or organization like Chris Roberts managed to create there. It would be awesome to have a tenth of their resources to work with... ;)

2. 88mphTim

They need to fix an issue for you to be able to do this. Probably won't make next build release. Sorry...

3. 88mphTim

I've had zero response from them, which is quite disappointing. I have been talking to some tracks though, and another Australian series.

4. 88mphTim

I honestly don't know about a championship right now. *I* want one, as I think an offline race appeals to me more with lack of time than online racing right now. Personal thing, of course, as a few years ago I didn't have another option. ;)

There's always the option of doing it yourself... I remember way back when F1 changed points calculating it myself... Or perhaps there will be a site eventually which you upload results to, that does it for you... Similar exists for other sims, including rF1.

5. 88mphTim

Car is 2013.
    Silverstone was referenced in 2012.

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

7. ifrans

ifrans Registered

No problem, thnx for update.

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Would be great to be able to create a championship... Decide wich cars and a couple of tracks and at the end of every race you'll see results and standings. Just something simple. I would really enjoy a simple short serie with the 3 available historic tracks and Brabhams, for example.

Doesn't sound that complicated, but I'm no programmer.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  10. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

sounds reasonable, however it is the Honda ;) (plus, didn't Tim mentioned an historic Honda F1 was licenced??? I know he has been talking about it, however I can't remember wether that was confirmed, or rejected (costs), or anything..... gonna search right now)

Don't want to give away my "source" though :D

EDIT :: Found some info from Tim mentioning Honda, however it doesn't really support my story yet :p
    Tim's reply here

11. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

You may be right, but why does it have to be compared to other sim racing games? Maybe sim racing games are leaps behind other games in this respect. It is like you always say. Don't look at the competition. Just keep devving according to your own vision and speed. It is the same here I feel.

You're definitely right. Chris said they have a budget of $20M of which $10M will be crowd funded. I also understand that he is a legend and the space sim market is less competitive than the sim racing one. So, it is definitely not fair to compare. I agree. But I still think their open style of developing brings in new customers (pledgers) and doesn't necessarily have to be expensive or time-consuming. Of course they apply a totally different business model.

Anyway, I will stop my ramblings here;) So you have more time to answer questions about the actual game :cool:

12. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Hi Tim.

I bought the game day before yesterday... I owned the all the original f1's up to F1C all those years ago and had the luxury of enjoying all those years with all those mods and even had the privilege of being a beta tester for Virtua_LM under eden7c for a very short time during the glory days of the early Group C releases... I got to test the beta of the 911 Porsches and what a privilege it was to beta test such a high quality of work... I just built a new PC for gaming and got a g27 and Wheelstand Pro V2 and it feels great to relive the glory days with a new medium (rfactor 2)

One of the challenges of releasing betas is that it inevitably leads to some negative commentary.... I see the same thing over at the arma 3 alpha... Should be this or should be that... should have been released sooner even though two of your developers were locked up in Greece for allegedly taking pictures of a military installation while on vacation(the alpha came out this March after being originally scheduled for summer 2012). Framerate this, lack of polish that not realizing it is easy to do internal alphas and betas and release fully done games like f12012 that don't even have a telemetry analysis function... it's a fun game but that blew me away, a full retail purchase later...

I do understand the impatience but I have to say thank you for keeping the game open as Bohemia Interactive does as it provides a better product for us all to be able to enjoy with the fruits of the highly talented mod community. These days games are likely ten hours to 16 hours on average... with a completely locked file structure and sometimes mediocre at best( think Aliens CM, less than mediocre ) and thats it....

People are forgetting what a privilege it is to have open source games...
    Keep the updates coming and try to take some of the impatience for what it is... people desperately wanting to enjoy new ISI products in 2013 ... I mean they are going about it in completely the wrong way but I think thats where it comes from...

I just did a multiclass lap of spa 66 and I just could not get over how cool is is... a 14km course on an open road with four different classes running on it.... I went wheel to wheel with a brabham and it launched me up the grass embankement into the air over a fence and down into the field below... in the replay it looked like a cow was watching the whole thing.... priceless....

And on a side note to all the forum users - If english is not your first language then please be careful how you use it... I have seen a lot of posts in the lasts 24 hours from people who clearly don't use English as their primary language and the posts come off very aggressive and kinda like you are douchebags ... not gonna translate that but you get the idea... in English its called toning it down a notch... look it up... I'm not trying to call anyone individual out as I have now been across multiple forums relating to rFactor in the last 24 hours and I'm just sayin its pretty rough...

If everyone could show some restraint and be civil (yes, even on the internet), hopefully, we all get what we all want... a great game!

13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I have to add a few words here...

1. "If english is not your first language:"

Sorry mate but this is an international forum and people just express themselves as good as they can.
    In real life you would 'beg their pardon' and the discussion would go on

2. "People are forgetting what a privilege it is to have open source games" : well, apparently the language itself is not the only problem...

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Am I the only one here thinking that you don't make any sense except calling someone that don't addresses you as "mate"?

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well... they did take pictures of a military installation as you already said, where does "allegedly" stand?

I wonder what your country would do if I went and took pictures of your country's military installations.

There is a limit to hypocrisy (and trolling with media) and mixing real world with kids world, you expect all people know about ARMA and all this silly gaming?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  16. coops

coops Banned

Tim this thread is orsm the information you have given has been great. I hope it keeps coming in the future by you or another member of the ISI team. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK YOU DO

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

hmmm

18. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

In real life, I would expect people to think before they open their mouths in any language and since English is my first language and french is my second I am always cautious to not offend since I have a limited use/ and therefor understanding of the intracacies of the language that may offend .... pretty simple and basic stuff

lol... Canadian installations ... .we tend to be very polite... I love our military and I'm sure you would get a stern warning and sent on your way :)

and really my point here is how the attacking immediately begins... i specifically mentioned not calling any one out and you two couldnt help yourselves...

19. 88mphTim

Canadians do seem pretty relaxed. It's pretty shocking... Crossing the border from USA to Canada is a very different experience than the other direction. :D

20. 88mphTim

Trying various things with them. Still waiting.