Quick dev update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 7, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You can. There is. :)

2. 88mphTim

No, actually my job is commercial licensing of ISI products to commercial customers. Everything else I have taken on myself. Which is why when an experience doesn't make me feel very good, I might not want to experience it again. And sometimes I am simply too busy with my day job to even be here on the forum, which is why it's doubly frustrating at times when I do take the time.

We've actually had discussion since the forums opened on the benefit of actually having them. I think they are a positive and useful thing overall, that's why they are still here.
    That's why I made the post, I see the need. That's probably good advice. It's my failing that I read and respond to the comments, be they positive or negative.

3. 88mphTim

My trash didn't get picked up last Monday (we just moved in). I called up to let them know, they said OK, and that they're coming next week. And the pay isn't bad for being a trash picker, too... ;)

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Some of us have the exactly opposite view about that.
    You responding makes this place alive, human and not sterile, so please dont stop :)

5. 88mphTim

It is very, very difficult to separate them. Genuine constructive criticism, is AWESOME. There are devs who used to post here, who don't now. And there's devs outside ISI who will never have a forum at all, or ban you instantly for saying anything negative if they do. As much as it is difficult sometimes, I do feel we have a decent community here.

6. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I just gave my (and I think many people here) honest opinion and constructive criticism. If you dismiss feedback from customers, you're a bad employee imho. I don't tell Tim how to do his job. I just stated that I think it is bad that there has been nearly no info from any devs the last month or so. And Tim happens to be the connection between the forum and the dev team. So why can't I just call it how it is? I just think ISI as a whole could share a bit more (and especially consistent) information on the progress. I don't get why people get so defensive about this? I am just trying to give advice (as a customer) how they could improve communication. Any normal company/employee would appreciate that.
    And it is not like asking them to move mountains. Just a weekly (or 2) post of a couple of lines summarizing progress. Just like a small change log. It will take maybe 5 minutes.

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

All I'll say is keep the dev updates coming. I think it will make for a more contented community overall and put minds at rest.

Perhaps it's all too easy for some of us to think very little is going on behind the scenes with rF2 when we don't get much information, even though the truth is the complete opposite. I realise you and your colleagues are too busy to spend much time on the forums but any updates you can provide are really appreciated.

As for the forums, I think they are invaluable for a game like rF2. It's not the most approachable title in its current state and I've learned so much about the game from these forums.

8. baked bean

baked bean Registered

+1

9. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Clearly I have been misinformed. I thought you were in charge of the forum and the link with the ISI dev team. I did not know that you do this on a voluntary basis. In that light I appreciate you for any time you put into this forum:)
    I still think it wouldn't hurt if ISI communicated better. But I understand that you have a small team and limited resources.

10. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

i skimmed through these 7 pages... I can hardly believe that some people seem to think this game is completely broken ... Whenever I want to play, it works. i think I have only had it crash once. Cars drive believably for me ... The only issue I see is the lack of some sort of ability to setup a race series with championship points. I'm sure some modder will take care of that tho... Sheesh you'd think that it crashes every five seconds and looks and runs like utter ****e from reading these posts.

BTW - good on silverstone - btcc car and build 214 coming soon ! Thanks for update!

11. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I don't think it is that difficult actually. Often you can spot personal/unconstructive criticism from a mile away. It contains rude and immature language and it is poorly supported by actual arguments.
    To be honest I think almost all (decent) games have a forum. Even indies. And why would they not? It is a cheap and good way to communicate directly to your (potential) clients or pick up good ideas. Also I think that you shouldn't compare this forum with bad forums who will ban you for any criticism. I do appreciate my freedom of speech (within reason) here. However, I think ISI should rather be looking at forums who actually do better and learn from that. Just take a look at the Star Citizen community/interaction. That is amazing. Of course I understand that they have a much larger team and more resources, but even if it would be a tenth of that it would be awesome.
    I think you are doing an awesome job on teasers (like silverstone:cool:) and replying to (useful) comments :)

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I appreciate updates for different reasons than some. For me, I like to see updates but mainly because I believe it demonstrates consideration for community members who are desperate for updates. HOWEVER, I am NOT one who is desperate for updates. However I do love NEWS and to me news is RELEASES. Something I can get my hands on. It's fun to see teasers, etc. but is hardly pragmatic although I WOULD as a modder want to know if ISI is working on something that I am also working on, etc. Other than that, it's not like I am going to make any life decisions based on progress updates. Except now I may be able to cancel that trip to Silverstone . :p

14. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Tim, a time ago I asked you how to get rid of the high texture decals on the Marussia for custom skins. You send a e-mail to the team waiting for response how to do so. I have not seen an answer(or missed it), so I thought it might be addressed in the next build or Marussia update. If not, did you already had a response from your team? I'm still interested in the solution. Thanks:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  15. 88mphTim

I actually didn't get a response on that one. Thanks for the reminder.

16. Rik

Rik Registered

Silverstone screen look very nice!
    Thanks Tim for update news.

17. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Tim, any chance you guys can get a piece of the V8 Supercars action in rf2? Would love to see those cars in the game with the correct physics and all.

18. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hi ya

Great game still loving it
    Can't see how the game is broken?
    It works on mine lol

Just a quick question for Tim,do u think you will ever do a single player campaign or what ever u call them (championship stuff)
    Cos at the moment not many players online + I got total crap Internet where I live 2 meg max lol

You could do a campaign where we start off in skippys
    Then say move onto clios ect ect

And be even better if you can pick and choose tracks and cars to add into the campaign

Happy days

By tomorrow isi should have single player, come on Tim get ya finger out lol (joking by the way )

Cheers
    Jay

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Tim. Just give us a hint. Is the BTCC car from the modern era, Super Touring or earlier?

Silverstone..... Can you tell us what era?

20. mark0spasic

mark0spasic Registered

Hi I must say that this is great game! Can you tell me do you plan to have some kind of career mode or season mode? All the best to ISI!:D