Progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Johan Östman

Johan Östman Registered

2. Panigale

Panigale Banned

I'm learning to appreciate the indie experience with rF2. This is small company vs large and the pros and cons are part of that.

What would be helpful and I'm just asking (and will help me keep from posting) is getting an occasional update on items that were mentioned as TBA (I could be remembering wrong) but for whatever reason have not come up again. e.g. When could we expect the overboost function for the F2s to be implemented?

3. elcoco

elcoco Registered

I think RF2 is a nice adventure and I am proud to participate in this since January

I already take a lot of pleasure with rf2 and all that will happen is that aditional bonus for me

thx isi and thank you all track moder :)

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

TIMMY! You go girl *snap*snap* mmhmmm!

<-- Popcorn + 3D glasses = entertained. :cool:

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Up to the date of this post, the info is here:
    http://rfactor.net/web/2012/07/23/rfactor2-testing-continues/

Since then builds 101, 107 and 118 have been released.

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I have the feeling that each progress in the game engine is a step backwards in the gfx engine. The only thing that has improved in my opinion are the shadows. The price of it was a nice performance drop.

Things we have lost during the builds:
    - The specular shader is replaced by some kind of placebo. The bloom effect is nice but it is almost worthless without proper specular shaders.
    - Heat FX
    - Mirage effect
    - Bump mapping
    - Tracks don't use their hdr profile
    - shadows and lightning effects on trees

Following this tradition, I have not much hope for the next update. What's going on in the graphics department?

7. 88mphTim

Steady improvements all-round, both in visuals and performance build-on-build from what I've seen. Some incompatibilities etc, of course, but not quite what you're describing.

I can only suggest you look at the screenshots thread from front to back if you haven't noticed any changes except those.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

There is still some form of heat haze off the cars. I noticed that if I give the engine some revs while sitting still, I can see quite a shimmer come off around the engine/exhaust. This is with the 60's F1's. No "environment" heat haze as far as I can tell though.

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here is an example.

- shadows and lightning effects on trees

Build 118
    [​IMG]

Old build
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  10. 88mphTim

Do you have examples that aren't in dev mode?

11. osella

osella Registered

This thread needs more fun.. and cats. (but I still hope for quicker updates /rant)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. 88mphTim

That is great. :)

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

he he, John.persson should complain here

14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

LOL! I love cats, have two, neither of them have a trunk tho even if they are both post beta :confused:

Every single ISI forum posting personel weirdo needs to put that as a calling card in their profile right now, and Im gonna start spamming that in every whiny post from now on... *Save as...* :p

15. baked bean

baked bean Registered

always a flip side to everything, on the upside there is a chance extra features being added to a delayed build seeing as more time is involved, make the most of what you got. :)

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I remember one indie developer whom put web cam so you can see him working silly hours, much easier than reporting and not many would like to work like that, I'm sure of that, but it would be interesting to see ISI devs and bet who is scratching his scalp next or bet number of coffee cups each one drinks during the day, that would keep community busy for few weeks ;)

I think with public approach there is quite bit of challenges when attempting to control amount of people getting in, word gets passed and many are jumping in just to have newest and latest, which is probably that wrong kind of attention you would like to avoid.

Could be lot worse of course, some magazine making big story and forgetting mention how rf2 is still in development, soon hundreds of kids would get rF2 in hopes of racing happily with it while at the moment I believe leagues and such serious racing is something you don't even want as product is not at such stage yet that it could suit for such use.

Then it is always developer's fault, not user's fault that did not understand what stage product is at. Sometimes I wonder how huge will to make software some have to have as they can put up with all that, it must be really lot of will :)

It is interesting to see how there are always few criticizing quite strongly but when one looks closer there are far more those that have kind of bigger heart and accept how things are run, maybe it is some sort of passion thing, some are so passionate and demand so much from themselves that they demand much from others and if demands are not met it produces criticism. Anyway I can see many different mindsets here always, some just are incompatible I guess.

1 person likes this.
  17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Thank you for the head ups.

Shame that people can't just say thanks and feel the need to dissect every thread, cartoon is the best analogy I seen. lopl

More lapping and less repetitiousness . :)

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Are you trying to say that there is some ISI worker feeling like they havent accomplished enough, hopped up on caffeine and the goofballs, finding them selves working on something extra in the wee hours of the morning and presenting it to the project manager, who just out of mere stress shaved his cat and bought his wifes new hoover a silencer, as a brilliant idea that gets added to the next patch/build without delaying it at all?

Are you completely mad? This already happened last night, and after I woke up, I had to change my underwear... and sheets.

19. nuggetz

nuggetz Registered

How far along is HDR? I'm trying to determine if it's my ATI card (5970) or the software. I have issues in other games like pCars so I'm wondering if I should jump ship again to nvidia. Enabling HDR puts rfactor into slideshow mode for me :). I simply cannot run it at all with the latest build. It could be something else on my end which I will confirm tomorrow when I fire up rF.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Ewuh !

Could have done without that you sicco. lol :)