[WIP] Palatov Motorsport D4

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Dec 28, 2014.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Woweeeeeewow!!!!! Nice!!!!!!

Edit - Wait a minute you planned this! You're telling your wife "hey, honey come here check this out I'm going to ask these guys about these two skins and they are not going to like them and then I'm going to reveal my best skin ever of my life and watch the relief and laugh"

Edit #2 - ...and the worst part is Slow Motion was in on it the whole time. Brilliant :p

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nope...i did it last night, can`t sleep...older man...you know ;)

Update:
    Final Skinpack by JuergenBY

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Awesome result for #40!! And wonderful that the other two are available for those who like them. Will they replace 2 of the regular ones or be additional?

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

No, they will be available as Team Update, or as simple alt Files. We shall see...

By the way, they did it again *Lucky Number Seven* :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

quick update: this weekend we start to test the new tires on Trackday: R DOT + Racing Slick for LONG LASTING set and also for SIM LASTING set.
    I also updated a little the TBC file for AIs (but it needs more tuning), as well as few other parts for the physic, waiting for some more advanced technical values that ONLY Mr. Palatov knows and that ONLY Mr. Palatov can fill into the new spreadsheet for re-generating a new flexible chassis, new suspensions, new steering wheel.

We must be patient, because for us this is only a hobby, on the contrary, Mr. Palatov is very very busy... and the end of June is coming fast... (this last is a code phrase, ehehehe)

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Didn't read all 12 pages but icing on the cake with this mod would be to properly configure VEH, RCD, etc. to optimize AI behavior such as:

.VEH to properly identify several teams (>= 15 for interesting racing) NOT using same driver for > 1 team to, for example, enable consistent drivers from weekend to weekend during championships

.RCD so AI spread out appropriate and otherwise optimize AI behavior

Etc.

Thanks again for your efforts! :D

8. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

well, it STARTED as a hobby...! it's a slippery slope :) yep, lots going on but i'll try to get to it. http://www.dpcars.net/d2/ june is going to be interesting.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK Dennis, you have to help Slow Motion get the D4 completed with accurate physics so work on getting that Spyder into rF2 can begin!!! ;)

A serious question, too: what g-force can the D4 pull on a skidpad compared to a Skip Barber car? I am just trying to get a sense of the relative cornering performance of the two. Didn't see that on your site anywhere.

10. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

Marc, i'd love to see more of our cars in the sim, after this one is finished :)

i don't have real world skidpad numbers but from datalogging we've seen about 2.5g in the D4 on a racecourse (an all time peak of 3.1g but that was a transient). this is on slicks. or R comp it was around 2.1-2.2g. hope this helps.

the major difference of my cars from others suspension-wise is that my geometry makes the inside tire do a lot of work as well as the outside in a turn. conventional geometries mostly worry about the outside and don't manage inside tire camber. that's why on same tires my cars corner better than most others. rF seems to model that very well. there is a tradeoff of course, as with everything, and i do sacrifice some stability under braking and again it comes through in the model. but if you can corner faster you don't have to brake as much :)

i just checked out the latest beta and it's behaving very realistically, all the hard work by everyone involved is really paying off!

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks and glad to hear. The beta definitely feels like it has more lateral grip than a Skippy--in rF2. I have driven a real Skippy, but not a D4. The Skippy in rF2 feels like it has less grip than the real one. The D4 in rF2 feels just unbelievably fun and tossable and like I want one for real :) It is one of the most exciting cars to drive in rF2, which I will put down to it's actual design and good quality simulation (only to be refined and made better as we speak). Based on your description, it should outperform a Skippy quite easily and has the advantage of almost go-kart like agility! People will be gushing over the dynamics of this car once it is released.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Interesting!

:cool:

13. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

this video of a D4 in taiwan gives a good idea of performance - he had to start from the back so you see a lot of traffic :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOk-BcTlVuE you can see he uses the grip to just drive around people on the outside of corners.

here's one at a hillclimb here in the US - it was only the second car in the 25 years of the hillclimb to break the 2-minute barrier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1LGw5vL2OY

so yeah, in the right hands it's pretty quick :)

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Awesome.

1) Slow Motion needs to crank up the volume in the sim ;)

2) Which tire was that car using?

3) That sounds like the regularly aspirated engine...yes?

4) That car is not even on the same planet as a Skippy. Maybe the ISI Skippy is accurately so slow and weak by comparison after all.

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Can't wait to try this on the likes of Cadwell Park !

16. dpalatov

dpalatov Registered

the taiwan car is on slicks, the hillclimb car is on R compounds. both are normally aspirated, trackday models. so if turbo AWD seems crazy in the sim, that's because it really is :) i don't have any videos of that yet. building one now (a turbo II).
    View attachment 16143

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

quick update... beta 0.9.2:
    - R DOT and Racing Slick tuned and changed a little the grip (since beta 0.9.1G) to close gap in time between them
    - recalculated wear and degradation curves for R DOT and Racing Slick SIM SET only (since beta 0.9.1G), to have a better aggressive level in sim race strategy
    - now steering wheel has been harmonized for all classes. Little differences are noticeable for Hillclimb vs. Trackday due to the AWD vs the RWD and it is very good, as well as rF1 vs rF2 system
    - focused on Hillclimb class to set the overall performances. Now Hillclimb is drivable nicely! Great back due to the larger rear wing, but not so much understeering like before... Maybe we have still to tune the max speed and brake system

I also hope to start testing the car in the next couple of days here: http://oregonraceway.com/

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Utterly impressive performance in that video.

19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

+1 :cool:

20. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

We are close to move to the last part of the development... it will take time, but I'd like to enlarge the number of the beta testers. Please, the persons that like to spend few hours in testing seriously the mod, following some advice, can send a PM to me and in the next week I hope to be ready for starting!
    Thank you.