Oran Park conversion

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Nibiru, Jan 15, 2013.

1. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Seeing the track no longer exists youd hope that we may be able to get the laser version into RF2 one day, best way possible for the track to live on.

2. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

coops said that the people who did the laser scanning said they will convert it to rf2, after it goes gold

3. coops

coops Banned

yes i spoke to Brendan Elliot because i did not want to lose this great track from rf1 and was going to see if they would pass on the lidar info to Tim at ISI so they could do the track but that was not possible so they said they would do it. now we just have to wait.

4. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I assume that the I-racing track may have some reason for the rights issue with the Lidar data, I cant see how they could have scanned the track themselves in 2012 as this video below was taken in 2010. ;) Looks like they sold the data to those guys and Im sure it wasnt cheap so they will be protecting their purchase and as we know Iracing are very protective of everything.

Here is the track in Iracing.

Here is the RF1 version

5. coops

coops Banned

brendan and others did a thesis and recieved there lidar info themselves plus they were given extra info from the track owner and all permissions. so i think IRACING will have big problems causing any issues when they decide to release it.

6. Banger

Banger Registered

Oran Park

Oran Park recently held its last V8 Supercar event and is set to close down n 2009 in order to make way for yet another housing estate. Fortunately two university students, Brendan and Chris, as part of their thesis, were able to obtain and collect point cloud data using various technologies. The data in this project was collected using a variety of survey technologies including: Aerial Laser Scanning (LiDAR), Real Time Kinematic GPS, and Robotic Total Stations

Eastern Creek

Eastern Creek was the first "proof of concept" project made to test whether BTB could be adapted to use point cloud data. It worked and now the results can be driven on by everyone.

As a mostly part-time project that was created from scratch in two months on a shoe-string budget, it turned out to be one of the most enjoyed tracks in rFactor.

Since this project, BTB-Laser has been enhanced to perform more of the track building tasks more efficiently than ever.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Being one that jumps on no permission I would like to clarify that, ORSM unofficially accepted MMM's conversion of V8 Supercars 2004 to GTR#1 , most of the tracks were converted rather fast but I think they looked great in GTR. He had great times online in that mod and aussie tracks.
    Plus it was a sim ORSM never devoted time to.

Anyways from that period I think they just converted / updated those F1C to GTR ones from then on.

ORSM used codies stuff yes but they did a huge amount of work on them.

You could park in all garages out the back for one and Dragstrip.

8. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Not related to Oran Park, but I helped with making the bridge and the driver training building and beta testing for the Eastern Creek laser scan track. Brendan gave me the go ahead to make the centre part of the track and update it (emails back in 2008). I never did it but I would love to see the Eastern Creek layout updated and new objects made for it. I too have tried to contact Brendan on numerous occasions but no reply yet.....

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This is one of my favorite tracks in rF2. Fantastic, thank you.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This is one of my favorite tracks in rF1. Fantastic, thank you.

There, fixed that for you. :p

11. Radar

Radar Registered

Eastern Creek is being worked on as we speak..

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That's awesome news. I love EC and the one that is out for rF2 right now has some issues. I'm not sure where it came from but if finished it'll be great.

13. Radar

Radar Registered

It's not being converted, it's totally scratch built. Like you, I like Scratch built tracks :)

Being one person modding (until very very recently), and modding a few different tracks, it takes time.

14. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Really? Very good Radar. Any WIP photos yet? Working on both QLD Raceway and Lakeside. Coming along well.

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

you should stop making up stories...guys from AusOrc put those V8s into GTR #1 (the same guys that put v8 physics and skins onto ISI Howstens for rFactor)...MMM wernt even around back then

16. Radar

Radar Registered

I could take pics but I won't. I've seen various WIP threads which then go onto 'I want now', 'can you change this',change that', 'that's not right', 'can we have more pics', 'what's the latest news on this WIP' etc. I'd rather keep it as minimal as possible for now, plus I keep making little changes along the way.. And like you Mike, I'm not just working on one track which to be honest is a good thing, but bad also in it takes time. When I posted my WIP for Canberra on rFactor Central, it was 90% complete but I had screen shots from the start.

Now that I'm using 3Ds Max only and not BTB at all, the models will be what rF2 deserve, not these conversions I've seen.

I'll be releasing my tracks separately (I know you had mentioned that you will be combining your tracks into one package, personally I'd keep it seperate so people can mix and match more, besides people will only separate anyway). I'm not trying to complete all my projects at once, so if one is finished to my satisfaction then that project will get released.

17. mkilner

mkilner Registered

Thanks for this, loved it from rF1, maybe a few extra polys on the curves to help smooth it out, its all good, cheers!

18. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  19. mkilner

mkilner Registered

Link is Invalid or Deleted?.... :(

Yeah the 1.1 version is still 99% playable, just a couple of spots where you get FF chatter last turn before start and finish, but its such a great track, had the megane on two wheels in a couple of spots, :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I like the older rougher version honestly- but the new version is still pretty darn good!

As for scratch made or converted tracks, really it doesn't matter to me. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Some of the best tracks in rf2 right now are conversions.