Lotus 49 Gripfest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F2Chump, Jun 28, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too... not got rf1 installed any more but that mod does look like the dogs dangly bits. :D

Completely agree with that last paragraph too Nismo... every word. :)

DD has an amazing collection of old F1 pics...he sent me a few some time ago, awesome.

I agree again, ISI do have the atmosphere and immersion nailed. I was just thinking that doing some laps the other night.

:)

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I have no complaints about the F2/3, but I have a hard time making sense of nimble being applied to the F1.
    Other people have commented on the power spikes of the FISI, yet most people seem to accept the classic F1, so I'm thinking that's down to attitude, ie, they feel that an old car like this should be difficult, yet whether you watch Brundle or Clark, it looks like a cakewalk at times.

3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Maybe you just need to drive it more then instead of working yourself up over it. Plenty of others in here have said they find it fine.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It really is funny because I looked at the engine files of the F1, and there aren't any sudden peaks. The torque goes up quickly but steadily from 1000 to 2500 rpm, continues to rise consistently but at a slower rate from 2500 to 7250 rpm where it reaches maximum torque, then curves downwards from then on. The power curve is very steady from 1250 to 7250 rpm, where the rate decreases a bit until it reaches max power at 9000 rpm, sloping off steadily after that.

I really have never noticed these peaks myself, but I have noticed a tendency to lack grip at higher revs, forcing me to be more careful with the throttle at those times. But then again those high revs are when most of the power is developed, and hence the tyres are doing more work, so it's understandable that they'll be more nervous then.

The Brundle video itself has some racing footage in it, and it's very clear that Brundle isn't driving nearly as fast as that. And one of the things that makes a driver great is utilizing the limits of his vehicle properly. One reason why Clark and Hill's driving could seem more docile than it feels in the sim currently is that they new how it would handle if they used too much gas, so they kept below that and at least tried to make sure they'd reach the goal. Not saying that's what they did, but it's a possibility.

Anyway, I'll wait until the tyre model is done before delving too deep into that.

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Don't judge my mental disposition child....I can see you've got a bug up your ass regarding me, but tough luck.

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yes, but when I drive some of the other cars in rf2, I'm anywhere from p6-p10, and tbh, I haven't been driving as much as I'd like lately, but that aside, I'm hopeless when it comes to the F1 at any track.

If I was also hopeless in the FISI, then it'd be reasonable to assume that I'm just a bad driver.

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Slightly childish and uncalled for reaction there. Really what is that all about? It was purely a suggestion to spend more time with it and try and learn how to drive it rather than just deciding it's flawed. Really disappointing and quite frankly childish response. You seem to be the only one here complaining that is all i was saying. Read the thread yourself and you will see that.

1 person likes this.
  8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Funny, I'm not hopeless in the F1 and am totally hopeless in the FISI. =)

9. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

That's because they were magnificent drivers. Clark is regarded by many as the best ever, and the rest consider him at least top 5. Not only that, but he was known for being a very smooth driver, and very easy on the car itself compared to many of his rivals. A smooth driver usually does make it look easy.

That being said, these cars were not as difficult to drive as people make them out to be, you just had to respect them and drive them in a certain way so they didn't bite you in the arse. Jackie Stewart was quoted as saying they were actually quite driveable. Of course, most of us are used to playing sims where the majority of the cars create a lot of downforce and run on modern tires, so the driving style is vastly different than what the old cars require. It's not necessarily more or less difficult, just different.

10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

You sounded like a pcars nutter trying to cast me as hysterical for having an opinion contrary to theirs.
    Keep it real!!!

11. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Do you have a decent time at Malaysia?.....let me know and I'll see if I can get within 40seconds of it.

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I'm certainly not a magnificent driver, but my performance with the F1 is out of whack compared to all the other cars.

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Hey! As a dedicated pCARS nutter I resent that! =)

14. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Now that's an insult right there! Me a pCARS nutter haha. I have been called Judas and everything by the pCARS brigade. I can not stand the game. It was as said just a suggestion and was in no way a dig, you need to chill, i'm not against you. I just don't agree as i can drive it fast and slide it, hold the slides etc so i'm just saying spend some more time with it as really it is a great car. Not as good as the Brabham mind

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

So what's a decent time at Malaysia full loop in the F1...?

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Compared to him, you actually are acting kind of hysterical. ;)

Didn't appreciate the name calling of him. Keep it nice. :)

17. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

1.35:300 or so with track rubberd in

though Seems vast majority of times on the server the top person is around 1.36's to 1.37's depending on track rubber and other settings.

18. osella

osella Registered

F2Chump judging car behaviour just from onboard of some of the best drivers in the world is just nonsense. I said it in other thread already (or was it this one?) but I will repeat it. They're great drivers because no matter what they drive it looks easy.

In theory every car in the world can be driven smoothly and appear to have neutral handling to viewers, if you put those guys in it. Even if it had 2000hp, no grip and crazy weight distribution. You can't expect the car behave the same way if you can't drive like them, because well, you aren't as smooth as they are. If you were, you would probably be already sitting in some real racing car.

Avoiding jerky inputs is all racing is about, both with pedals and wheel... except when you overdone it, sometimes a jerky input can save it back to tarmac but thats another story..

19. osella

osella Registered

This is also why I consider Prost so great driver, I love his driving style, he knows its better to be 5% under the limit than 5% above the limit. The resulting speed will be about the same, but in first case it will be also safe.
    Many called him pu*sy compared to Senna, well he certainly isn't, he's just extremely intelligent and liked to minimize dangers...

20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I mean 60's F1, not the FISI....