[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

On a Fanatec, the grass is not unduly bumpy at all--even with the filter set to 0 or off. You Logi users have to use the filter setting. I'd be happy to work with you to test a few different settings if you like. Especially if it's a global setting and you don't have to adjust every square metre of the off-road track world individually.

For example, Snetterton grass feels quite soft...how does it feel with a G25?

And for Longford, I am not suggesting making the grass harder--probably deeper and adding resistance would be the trick. It could actually make it less bumpy in areas where there's a "path" made by cars travelling over it repeatedly (like behind the pits).

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I did some quick tests and, for me, it doesn't seem like the terrain generates much ffb until around 50kph. Same story at Brianza, Belgium, Mores, Silverstone and a couple of other 3rd party tracks (don't have Snetterton to test, or bandwidth to download it currently). When driving down the paddock at Longford you should see the suspension shaking quite a lot (from the tdf bump values), so it looks like it might just be the game engine only blending any ffb/weight in at around 50kph.

In other news, I've had a bit of a play with the new lighting system/HDR, and smoothed out the centre of the road surface a bit. Not too flat though. Not much left to do now I think.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'm not asking for bumps. But if I am driving on well worn gravel or hard packed dirt under grass, as is the situation behind the pits, it shouldn't feel like ice. It should have more resistance...just that hint of the car sinking in a little bit (more on soft grass). Then, when you turn onto the pavement it doesn't feel like you are transitioning from a surface with next to no grip to one with full grip. It should just be less grip to full grip.

Obviously if you fly off the track into the fenced field, it's the same story, though we shouldn't be going there if we don't have to ;)

Almost no tracks have a proper modelling of the off-track surface. I am only telling you because your track is so amazing to start with and I know that eventually you're trying to "perfect" it. If you didn't start the cars in the back field, we probably wouldn't notice or care.

There is also a problem with rF2 with different wheels seemingly experiencing FFB so differently. Even the bumps on the track itself can get completely different reactions/reviews from people and a lot of it is different hardware and configurations. Hence my offer to help test something if you want to play around with some settings. Unless you have multiple hardware set-ups, it's impossible to know. And don't even get us started on graphics hardware differences!!!!

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Hey, "the Fenced Field" is my favorite haunt. I figure I go about a 1/4 mile before I can successfully stop. I don't think I should get even an 1/8 of a mile.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, it's not the most critical element of the track to focus on, but you're right that the surface is too hard and that point illustrates it.

6. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I've just increased the resistance of the grass 10x. I know you're not talking about bumps, but that the bumps don't come through ffb until about 50kph is an indication that ffb generally doesn't come through until about 50kph for non-road surfaces. So, unless you join the track at 50kph you will feel a transition from really light or no forces on the grass, to full effects at low speed on the road surface. I know it used to work as expected in rF1, but it does not in rF2. The car still reacts to the forces, but for non-road surfaces it doesn't come out in ffb until around 50kph.

On a related note, yesterday while working on reducing road bumps I did some work on the small asphalt patch at the circuit entry, and it is now a smoother transition anyway.

7. rer8

rer8 Registered

Woochoo, I really appreciate the work you are doing on this most excellent circuit. I have many laps on the rF1 and now double that on the rF2 version. Thank you so much for this work of art...

Randy

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If we're sure that rF2 hasn't got this right yet, just ignore it for now! Don't be distracted from much more important tweaks and improvements. Every track will have to be fixed later if this is the case.

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It might have something to do with the rF2 tyre model. Perhaps they have focused on hooking it up for the road surfaces so far. I remember in rF1, if the tyres weren't rotating fast enough, or at all, the feedback through the steering wheel was pretty clunky. Maybe that's where the 50kph roll-off comes into play? They've solved that for the road with the new tyre setup which can reproduce the feeling at low speed, and they just haven't set it for terrain stuff yet.

When I was getting near to releasing the first version, each new rF2 build made me pretty nervous about what had changed. I've wasted days fiddling with stuff, only to have that effort undermined by a new release. I imagine it's exactly the same (but much worse) for the ISI guys. I guess that's just the thing with devving for an in-progress platform.

I think upping the grass resistance (now by 100x i think) has been a good move, so thanks for the nudging, Marc and Jim :)

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Also, just checking with anyone who races Longford online:
    Does the grid issue (cars spawning in the same place as other cars) still occur in an online race with b300?

11. v-man

v-man Registered

Yes it does, only seen it happened on the first row if that helps:)

12. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yes, thanks v-man :)

13. rer8

rer8 Registered

Yes, same as v-man.

14. clockit

clockit Registered

Any chance of a reverse layout for this?

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

thanks rer8

@clockit
    You know, I think I've read that when the circuit was first proposed it actually did run the other way. Perhaps even a couple of the first bike races were anti-clockwise.
    I won't do a reverse version for this coming update, and tbh it's unlikely I'd do a reverse unless I make a version accurate for those early bike races (if they were indeed reverse). And I'm not intending to do anything other than a '67 layout at this stage (and possibly ever). The short answer is, sorry, probably not.

16. clockit

clockit Registered

17. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

download link from 1st post not working

18. Uff

Uff Registered

Just choose a mirror, there is plenty of them.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'll let you know what it feels like with a Fanatec as soon you release!

20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It more addresses Jim's point about stopping capacity in the paddocks. It possibly feels a little softer, but that might be my brain playing tricks on me. Don't expect to feel heavier steering under 50kph though :)

To get an idea, in the current release, the grass/rocks under the Viaduct (brick train bridge at turn 3) has much more resistance than the other grass (i think 10x), and it's also far bumpier. The thing to notice is, at less than 50kph even that surface will barely give any sort of feel through the wheel. Both surfaces have had their resistance upped for the next release (not their bumpiness though). It's quite disconcerting seeing the suspension flying about but not feeling a thing through the wheel... so stay on the road :p